"So, Mo, have you ever run before?"

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....If BBC had done something like that to say Carl Lewis at LA when he did well I'm sure there'd be complaints from USA. Both are/were legends in their sports and have earnt respect......

I had to google Carl Lewis. Never heard of him before now; or if I had he just didn't register enough to remember. As I said, running just ain't that popular.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I had to google Carl Lewis. Never heard of him before now; or if I had he just didn't register enough to remember. As I said, running just ain't that popular.

It sounds as if you are describing a country where the only sports that are popular are the only ones that no-one else in the world competes in! That may explain things like the laughable title "World Series" for baseball, I suppose if your world is only what you see from your front door you like be safe and secure that you are the absolute best in something no-one else bothers to do ;)

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool

You'd never heard of Carl Lewis???? :eek: every member over 5yrs of age of the Mascho Piro tribe in Peru has heard of Carl Lewis. :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....There is no excuse for that interview I think. It was of sufficient interest to put it on so there should be sufficient preparation too.....

I suspect the interview was included at the last minute as "filler" because there wasn't enough hard sports stories to fill the alloted time.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It sounds as if you are describing a country where the only sports that are popular are the only ones that no-one else in the world competes in! That may explain things like the laughable title "World Series" for baseball, I suppose if your world is only what you see from your front door you like be safe and secure that you are the absolute best in something no-one else bothers to do ;)

Actually most of the Western Hemisphere and in the East, Japan and the Phillipines play baseball. It was in the Olympics for a short time as well. But nobody could really compete.

But as to your last comment, most Americans do believe similarly to what you suggest; there's the US (the real world) and anywhere else. Not saying it's right. But yes that is the general opinion of most of the poulation.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Nobody else does? So I guess you didn't watch the Puerto Rican National team down the Spanish National team tonight at the World Baseball Classic by 3 to 0? Or Mexico beating the USA; final score Mexico 5 vs USA 2.

Here's the website for this year's classic: www.worldbaseballclassic.com Looks like Great Britain made the classic last time (2009) but failed to qualify for this tournament.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE