It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
doh.gif

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I am insulted by that. Or I would be if I was Mo Farah. Heck he is one of the greats an Olympic gold medalist!! if any news programme is worth anything it should at least give Google a chance and find out about someone who has just run a half marathon in a course record time!!!

IMHO it is like saying you are not worth wasting my time on but I will use you to fill in a gap in the news programme as I can't find anything else.

As a keen watcher of athletics i am of the opinion that he is worth more than that. Disgrace!!!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I took it a bit like that but she should have known before the interview. SOmeone there should have done the basic research. minutes on google and you'd know who he was. A minute to type up some notes and shove it under her nose and you are there!!!

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
What Paul_b said.

It reminds me of a radio 4 interview with an American author (can't remember who). After a bit of chit chat, the interviewer started asking questions about the book. About two questions in, the author, obviously startled said "You've read the book!". The interviewer was slightly taken aback "erm, well yes of course". The author explained that in America he'd never been interviewed by someone who had bothered to read the book first.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Actually it sounded like she DID know already. She didn't ask "if he had run before." But rather she phrased it, "haven't you run before." It's a common tactic among sportscasters here to draw the info out of the interviewee rather than just read it from a page.

That said, I'd never heard of Mo Farra until now. It's an obscure sport and frankly I'm really surprised they even covered it. Although that does seem to be changing.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah running in the olympics is fairly obscure, anyone would think they've been doing it for nearly 3000 years :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah running in the olympics is fairly obscure, anyone would think they've been doing it for nearly 3000 years :)

Olympics? Yes. Marathon? No. Just because a sport is in the Olympics doesn't mean a great deal. Can you tell me who won the synchronized swimming? WITHOUT GOOGLING IT!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
As much as I love the Americans and the USA, they are somewhat parochial in their Olympic coverage!

I was also told by one colleague in the US that no TV channel would show the Closing Ceremony from London 2012 as the theme was "Evolution", and 45% of the US population believes the world is less than 10,000 years old.......................

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought you guys were real big on athletics etc?

Yes we are. Just that marathons aren't really seen as athletics (in the competitive sense0 so much as they're seen as a way for ordinary people to get in shape. That's actually what I meant when I said the popularity of marathons is gaining over here. But that's on a participative level rather than a spectator level.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As much as I love the Americans and the USA, they are somewhat parochial in their Olympic coverage!

I was also told by one colleague in the US that no TV channel would show the Closing Ceremony from London 2012 as the theme was "Evolution", and 45% of the US population believes the world is less than 10,000 years old.......................

I'm annoyed they don't cover the shooting sports.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just heard on the radio that Mo has been tweeting, telling people to stop making fun of the interviewer, who did in fact think he was a fun-runner, and not an Olympics double-gold medallist in the 5,000 and 10,000 metres. He said she'd just made a mistake.

What a really nice man!

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Olympics? Yes. Marathon? No. Just because a sport is in the Olympics doesn't mean a great deal. Can you tell me who won the synchronized swimming? WITHOUT GOOGLING IT!

Odd fact, the 26 miles isnt the distance between Olympia and Marrithon it's the distance from the starting point of the race and Buckingham palace in the first "Modern" Olympics. But Running is the fastest growing event in the modern Olympiad.

Both my Aunts where in the states during the Olympics, and non US coverage was scant. Apart from some main events it purely focused on the US athletes only and was quite offensive at some points where Americans lost by a shallow margin. But that's just hear say from two Aunts I have no first hand examples.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE