So I've just weighed my kit..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Thats a good set up.
everything else can be improvised from where you are. nice one

I sometimes think the ease of getting kit nowadays makes it too easy to have a gadget or gubbins to do a job.
back when all that sold kit was army sup and millets you tended t think more on what you could bodge

I'm firmly in the heavyweight kit column myself. canvas wool leather stainless steel etc aint light.
but I can appreciate the lightweight approach even if its not my thing

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Quick rundown on what I have in my bag.

Sleeping Bag (4 season BUT was very cheap doubt it actually would do 4 seasons)
Self inflating mat
DD Hammock
Tarp x2
Para cord

Gas canister
Stove head
Cruisader Cup
Spork
Water Bottle (Empty at time of weighing it)
Cup

2 x Small torches
1 x Headlight
first aid kit
fire starting kit
another wee tub with cup of soups ,green tea, salt,pepper, sweeteners, tinfoil, etc
2 tiny books (the book of knots and living off the land)
Folding saw
Knife
scarf, gloves and a wooly jumper
and a wee bit of loo roll!
Its all packed away so thats me trying to remember from what I put in but thats everything I need (I think anyway)

what you guys think? got too much? not enough?

Good list mate. nowt wrong with that. for books i try to replace with apps on the phone to save weight but not everyone carries a phone so personal choice.

its funny i always default to looking at titanium when improving the weight but its not always the best way. case in point ive just got rid of my titanium long handle spoon an replaced with a cheap bamboo job thats half the weight. Ive replaced my bladder with a pop bottle which is well under half the weight and lets my filter screw on direct. i also use the case that holds my caldera stove as a mug (holds 500ml) so ive dropped a lot of weight for free or very cheap.

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Makes sense.
I'm a ground dweller so I just leave bed in pack until its time t sleep and use the one tarp.

Ive always wanted to try that but for some reason bottle it! What would I need underneath me to do that? Would I need a bivvy bag?

Good list mate. nowt wrong with that. for books i try to replace with apps on the phone to save weight but not everyone carries a phone so personal choice.

its funny i always default to looking at titanium when improving the weight but its not always the best way. case in point ive just got rid of my titanium long handle spoon an replaced with a cheap bamboo job thats half the weight. Ive replaced my bladder with a pop bottle which is well under half the weight and lets my filter screw on direct. i also use the case that holds my caldera stove as a mug (holds 500ml) so ive dropped a lot of weight for free or very cheap.

nice one man! Good idea!

bivvy bags are useful for keeping the dew off the sleeping bag or if it positively precipitates it down.keeps the bag neat and clean too.
they weigh little depending on which one you get and can also be used for emergency shelter if ya get stuck when walking. my father in law always packs one when out rambling and he knows his stuff.
you can pick up army sup ones reasonably cheap or check out Go outdoors etc for offers

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you get a bivvy bag make sure it's one that will breathe out moisture. They're tremendous for drying out you and your kit using nothing more than body heat. LIfe saving, literally.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just weighed my kit MINUS a litre of water, some chicken and some rice.. And I'm at 10.1 kg. What you guys think? This good? This bad? Always room for improvement I guess..

I mean there are a few things I probably could take away like the 2 little books I have, The 2 small torches (just use head torch), 1 very small tarp (1m x 1m I think). I don't have best of gear but I like what I have.

10kg dry weight for a pack is bloody good going. Nought wrong with that. It could go lighter. Doesn't mean you have to.

The kit weight is relative to kit contents. Generally 10kg is a nice weight to aim for if trying to go lightweight. However if you have basically nothing in back except sleeping bag and tent then 10kg is a lot if you get what I mean.

What he says. In all these things it's all relative. Is this the summer weight? or the winter weight? etc...

I was starting to look at lightening my kit back in February which no doubt I would obsess over. Then someone on here made a comment on how much extra fat most of us carry which made me think. I went on a diet and so far I'm down 28 Lbs (12.7 kgs)

You lost 28 pounds? Did you check down the back of the sofa? (sorry I couldn't resist).

Spending £100's to lighten by a few ounces? In most cases this is a fools game.

Depends too on how far you are carrying that kit for. If I was aiming at 30 miles a day I would want to carry less than 10kg. If I was walking a couple miles from my car then twice or more is no big deal.

However If I was planning a trek at altitude where my lungs would scream at every extra ounce it would be very different.

The big money tends to result in big savings in weight. Replacing a Vaude Hogan tent with a Power Lizard 1-2p SUL tent, shaves 1.8kg off the pack weight.

Replacing my Berghaus Vulcan with an Exped Lightning 60, shaves 2.7kg off the pack weight.

That's nearly 5kg off the back. For an outlay of over 400 quid. *BUT*. If you have no pack to begin with, then buying said Exped pack is in the same ballpark outlay as any other decent backpack. My Vulcan was 80 quid second hand 12 years ago.

Conversely you can get good savings with modest outlays. I replaced my old lifeventure folding KFS set that was made from Stainless steel with a set of snap wires from Alpkit, this saved me over 150gm in weight. But each snap wire only cost me £6.5.

Today my replacement for the crusader mug arrived. It's an Evernew 400ml titanium mug. It weighs 50gm on my scales (manufacturer says 52g). Combined with my cat can stove, and my snap wires, I have a brew kit of 101.5gm. My crusader mug was 290gm (BCB's own weight, not mine). The Evernew has no non stick coating to come off like my old crusader did (the actual reason I gave up on the crusader) after 10 years of (ab)use.

If you had no tarp to begin with, you could go for any of these three:

• DD Hammocks Ultralight 3m x 2.9m - 460g (includes guy ropes in weight) - £62
  • DD Hammocks 3mx3m - 790gm (includes guy ropes in weight) - £35
  • RAB Siltarp 2.2m x 1.5m - 200g (ex guy ropes) - £49.99

The 3m x 3m sizing of the tarp is because in a hammock you want the tarp to come down further to the ground to give you some side protection. If ground dwelling, you don't need this and can get away with the siltarp 1's slightly smaller size.

Trying to make big leaps of weight is going to largely give you big outlays of expense. But if you have very little gear already, then you can make big savings by making an informed purchase.

I think you are both right. I use lightweight for the mountains and i use a fat pack when i go to a meet as i like my creature comforts. Ive spent a lot lightening the load but then the bulk of my trips are up mountains so it pays its dues. If i saw someone with an 8kg pack going 100 yards from their car i would laugh at them a lot :D (kit testing aside)

Conversely I don't have a car, so even for a meet I am likely to be trying to get my pack as light as I can for the walk from the train station...

There doesnt need to be battleground between ultralight and more robust kit. It all works and if the person toting it can lift their pack and get to where they need to go then alls good.

what i hate is both camps rubbishing the other.

I agree with the rubbishing of kit. It's horses for course, if someone is happy with their kit, then leave them be. At the same time tho, I think that for many of the fat pack (nice term, I like it) users there is a certain machoness that means that their trips often verge more on type II fun, rather than being the pleasant hike in the back country it could have been.

"So there I was, on top of kinder, the wind blowing a gale, as I and my 100lb pack leaned into the wind to make progress"

I've been there, done that, I lugged a 45kg pack across Europe to Crete and back a few years ago. Lots of great stories for the pub, some lovely photos of pretty scenery, and it was a good trip.

These days tho? I reacon I would enjoy it more if I was ok walking further from the station with my pack...

Quick rundown on what I have in my bag.

Sleeping Bag (4 season BUT was very cheap doubt it actually would do 4 seasons)
Self inflating mat
DD Hammock
Tarp x2
Para cord

Good list, a couple of cheap weight savings you can make:

• Paracord - Replace with 2mm dyneema (I will do another group buy once the manufacture has it in stock again and I close the one that is in progress currently)
  • Tarp - Take only one. With care, sense, and technique you can happily use the one tarp as both bedroom and admin area. Conversely if you leave the hammock at home, you can use a smaller lighter tarp. The hammock may be the more comfortable sleep tho.

Gas canister
Stove head
Cruisader Cup
Spork
Water Bottle (Empty at time of weighing it)
Cup

See above for replacing the crusader cup.

2 x Small torches
1 x Headlight
first aid kit
fire starting kit
another wee tub with cup of soups ,green tea, salt,pepper, sweeteners, tinfoil, etc
2 tiny books (the book of knots and living off the land)
Folding saw
Knife
scarf, gloves and a wooly jumper
and a wee bit of loo roll!
Its all packed away so thats me trying to remember from what I put in but thats everything I need (I think anyway)

what you guys think? got too much? not enough?

Why 2 torchs + headtorch ? Not criticising, just curious as to your thought process.

I personally use a Petzl Zipka 2+ for all my camp lighting needs. It's a torch I love and has become my EDC, I even use it as a backup bike light.

Ive always wanted to try that but for some reason bottle it! What would I need underneath me to do that? Would I need a bivvy bag?

As with everything, "It depends".

In the middle of summer, you can probably get away with a sleep matt underneath you and just your sleeping bag. No need for a bivvi bag or even a tarp.

If it's not pissing it down, you could use a bivvi bag(Snugpak bivvi 340g, alpkit hunka bivvi 376g) to keep the dew off you, and to weather any gentle showers.

If it is likely to rain, you could use the bivvi bag, and throw a tarp over the top. It's horses for courses.

There are many in the ultralight weight community that see the ounces on the scale as something that must be chased at all costs, and you end up with the guys with a 2-3lb pack weight. But then you realise they are sleeping on bubble wrap, with a space blanket for warmth, and taking sleeping pills so that they sleep through the night. Part of the lightness cause is realising when to stop chasing grams. You get what I've seen called "Post lightweight". These are the people who realise yes they could go lighter, but actually taking an Exped Synmat 7 UL sleeping matt is going to be more comfortable than the bubble wrap, and a good nights sleep is worth the extra weight. The people who think "Yes I can cook, eat, drink out of just the one cup, but actually, for 50g, I can take a second titanium cup, and then I can be drinking tea while I wait for dinner to cook".

To me, it's not about how light everything is, or how durable, or how heavy or if it looks cool or the fashion. It's simply this:

"Have I thought about this properly?"

Carry what you like, just think about it for a few minutes first, you may find that actually, you can save weight, and increase your enjoyment.

Thanks

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
god no lol. If you can use a hammock its always the way to go :D

The issue there becomes "IF you can use a hammock". If you are up on the top of Kinder scout with not a tree in sight, then the hammock is just dead weight. No point carrying it just incase of a tree. But then if you are hiking in forests, then yes, take it with you and sleep comfortably in it.

J

billymitchell90

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Scotland, Dundee
Spot on! I don't even know the reason.. Well I like the head torch for when I'm needing my hands at night if cooking or whatever, The torch I have is a wind up one but its cheap as hell but its just really if I was proper stuck for light I would have that. and a battery powered small one is nice and bright but battery powered. If picking one would only be head torch.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Spot on! I don't even know the reason.. Well I like the head torch for when I'm needing my hands at night if cooking or whatever, The torch I have is a wind up one but its cheap as hell but its just really if I was proper stuck for light I would have that. and a battery powered small one is nice and bright but battery powered. If picking one would only be head torch.

Now, out of curiosity, put all three of those torches on the scales and then post the results.

Really stuck for light? I bet there is a flashlight app on your phone. Battery won't last long, but if you really need light it's there.

If Ray Jardine taught us anything, it's that kit that can perform more than one function is a good thing, hence why many people use their walking poles as tent poles... Your phone doubles as a backup light. So you can leave the two torches behind and just take the head torch. Instant weight saving, total cost, nil.

J

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The issue there becomes "IF you can use a hammock". If you are up on the top of Kinder scout with not a tree in sight, then the hammock is just dead weight. No point carrying it just incase of a tree. But then if you are hiking in forests, then yes, take it with you and sleep comfortably in it.

J

Well yes Kinder is not the best location for a hammock

But some mountains do have trees

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Afternoon Gents. Sorry been a busy morning.

So the point I was making was that it's possible to be utterly obsessed with the latest and lightest. However successfully navigating a long hike can be viewed as a bigger picture. With my recent 28lb weight loss I get my entire pack for free. At even £400 for 5kg I'm a grand saved!

But seriously folks, am a "kit *****" love that term so am stealing it. However I'm much more interested in fit and function than just weight.

In terms of the OP is 10kg heavy? Well no it's not but working out what you are hoping to do with it is pretty fundamental to the question. When I have done 30 mile days it's probably too much. Bearing in mind 2-3 kgs of water minimum and grub on top.

I'm certainly not here to rubbish kit. On the contrary, good kit looks after you and "any fool can be uncomfortable."

However is obsessing over kit as important as getting outdoors? I don't personally think so. If we were not going outdoors we wouldn't need the kit.

Bushcraft as opposed to lightweight hiking/ camping is surely more about working with and in the natural environment. "Improvise and overcome" to a certain extent but also utilising the skills of our forefathers.

Don't think for one minute that I'm taking the Cody Lundin part in Dual Survival but that is the very dichotomy in style that this debate characterises.

Would I spend 14 hours with a firebow when a Turbo Lighter would have had that fire going in a minute? No. However having the skills to create a fire by friction gives confidence.

Design your kit for a purpose. If weight is critical to that purpose then by all means obsess over it. If not focus on what you have and how it can be used. A couple trips in will really focus you on what you need and what you can leave behind next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE