So I want to try my hand at blacksmithing

But I have absolutely no idea where to start. What equipment do I need? What steel can I use?

I would want to make knives and steel strikers, nothing fancy. I wouldn't expect anything to look particularly good until I had been at it for a few years :p

Thanks in advance :D

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Hammer.Tongs.Anvil and a fire.

Thats the basics.Any hammer will do the job, id recommend a cross pein or ball pein around 1 1/2-2lb in weight.Tongs..may have to shop around a bit.Do you know any welders?Get him/her to weld some steel rods onto the ends of a cheap pair of pliers.That should do until you find some proper ones or learn how to forge your own.Anvil..decent ones are expensive unless you get lucky at auctions or carboot sales.Until then any big lump of steel will do as long as it has a flat surface.Ive heard of sledge hammer heads making good anvils?As for the fire ive seen folk use an old bbq with charcoal and the air supply an old hairdryer.
Steel, any old bits are good for practice on and old files made good firesteels.Thats it in a nutshell!Good luck and i warn you its addictive!!

I posted a thread here a few years back
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=719&p=12398&hilit=a+simple+forge#p12398
it really is fun and cheap to get started, the hardest thing to find is a good anvil so i made this up
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1775&p=12961&hilit=anvil#p12763

Cheers :) I'll have a look.
Hammer.Tongs.Anvil and a fire.

Thats the basics.Any hammer will do the job, id recommend a cross pein or ball pein around 1 1/2-2lb in weight.Tongs..may have to shop around a bit.Do you know any welders?Get him/her to weld some steel rods onto the ends of a cheap pair of pliers.That should do until you find some proper ones or learn how to forge your own.Anvil..decent ones are expensive unless you get lucky at auctions or carboot sales.Until then any big lump of steel will do as long as it has a flat surface.Ive heard of sledge hammer heads making good anvils?As for the fire ive seen folk use an old bbq with charcoal and the air supply an old hairdryer.
Steel, any old bits are good for practice on and old files made good firesteels.Thats it in a nutshell!Good luck and i warn you its addictive!!

Ok thanks :) Going to give it a try this summer, see what I can make. How hard is getting the heat treatment right for making knives? What is actually involved?

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
loads of info on heat treating online, look it up its very easy if you follow a few simple rules. the art is knowing what you are using to start with o1 is a good start but old files crow bars ect are also good

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Right - go get a cuppa this will take a while.

I'm going to assume you have some skill with general DIY - in which case you should be able to make up most of this stuff pretty easily. Any idea of budget?

Check out Richie66's thread over on BB
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...ife-on-a-shoestring-project.....yes-you-can-!

The forge

All you need is a place to put your fuel and some form of air supply. Adding air makes the fire burn hotter.

My very first forge was simply 4 house bricks arranged in a square on the ground with a steel pipe supplying air form a double action dingy pump.

Many people use bbq's with great success. I used a tesco bbq at a bushcraft meet up in Scotland as a forge. It only cost me £3 and the paint on the underside didn't even blister.

I would suggest using a bbq - they are easy to set up and get going with. - you'll need some steel pipe (not galvanised as this gives of deadly fumes if burnt) to supply air into the fire.
Alternatively you can just point a hair drier into the fire. I've done this with great success in the past.

A good wee forge many people make is the brake drum forge - these take a little more engineering skill (or imagination/creativity) to put together. Access to a welder or some one with a welder is ideal.

http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQ-article.php?bodyName=/21centbs/forges/brkdrum1.htm&titleName=anvilfire.com%20Blacksmithing%20FAQs%20

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=br...vIcOP-wbGsNSYBg&ved=0CHQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=675
There are also several videos on making these over on youtube.

Anvil

This is by far the hardest item to locate or bodge in the whole outfit. Essentially you need a piece of steel that has a surface area bigger than the hammer head you are using.

You can use a number of different things with great success, http://www.anvilfire.com/21centbs/anvils/making/

This list is in order of preference - in my opinion.

Anvil: - These can be had on ebay. Picking them up elsewhere is damn near impossible but they do crop up in auctions, local magazines, scrap yards. Be prepared to spend at least £100 - there are guides to buying anvils online.

Rail Road Track - sometimes called RRT or rail track. You can get this pretty cheap at scrap merchants or sometimes with help of a rail way worker. RRT is in my opinion the best alternative to an actual anvil. You don't "need" to do anything to it - but if you have the tools you can do this:
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...nvil.-(Lots-of-pictures)&highlight=rail+anvil

I had a go at the above and I use it as my portable anvil - a cracking wee bit of kit.
Personally at the very least I would stick your piece into a large fire and dump it in cold water to ensure it is hard. - I did this with mine and it serves me very well.

Fork lift tine - By all accounts these make excellent anvils. You usually need to weld them on to something sturdy.

Caterpillar track - these are good steel and work well. No idea where to get them.

Sledge hammer head - A large sledge hammer head will make a good anvil for smaller work such as blade smithing. These resemble the Japanese round anvils. Many makes have used and still use these. Set them into a large log (cut a recess) or into a bucket of concrete.
If you can weld - and are using the concrete method - I would suggest welding a long rod to the face of the head going into the bucket - this will add mass.

One thing to bear in mind with these anvils is that the small mass will heat up very quickly - to the point where it can't be touched. I would suggest periodically cooling it with water.

I/H beam section - I put these beneath sledge hammers simply because they are not hard. However they have much more mass - especially if set up right. Lannyman uses one of these to great effect.

Steel lump - failing the above - any old lump of steel will do. A 3" across bar of steel a foot long will work very well. - this option varies quite a bit though. If you should find a cubic foot of steel at the scrap merchants with flat faces - this will work a lot better than a bit of rail track. I've heard of guys finding huge lumps of very good steel for relatively cheap - so this option is very relative.

Tim Lively uses a 4" square section of mild steel set in a bucket of concrete. - Check out his forge too ;)
http://www.timlivelyknives.com/basicsetup.htm

Ultimately an anvil works by having mass under the hammer - the more mass the better it works. - Anvilfire suggest mounting RRT upright and using a small face of the end of the track - or welding another bit of track horizontally onto it.

What you mount the anvil on will also help. - I uses a 50+kg tree stump for my portable anvil once - and it was working better than I could imagine. Simply because of the added mass. (this only works if the anvil is securely mounted I add)

Tools:

As said - any hammer will do though a 1.5-2lb ball pein hammer will work well enough. - I assume you already have a few.

Tongs: These are pretty essential. Again they can be had on ebay but they are not cheap. They can be bodged easily enough though.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?140055-Recent-tongs&highlight=

Richie also makes tongs in the knife on a shoe string thread.

Fire tools: - These should be the first things you make. - a poker and a rake are very good starting out projects and will be used throughout your smithing career. The first set I ever made are still in use today.
I suggest a rake first - very useful.

As for your projects - start our small. Forge a few tools. And have a go at tongs if you feel up to it.

For strikers and knives I'd recommend using old files. These can be had very cheap at carboot sales and markets. The steel is easy enough to work and hardens very well.

Hope this helps

Andy

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
As for fuel. You have several options.

Coal
Charcoal
Coke

Believe it or not but you could use wood if you really want.

Coal should be easy to get hold of all year round - though this burns with an acrid smoke until you reduce it to coke.

Charcoal is a very good fuel though it burns quite quickly. Store bought charcoal is usually pretty damn effin awful so I would find a local supplier who makes it properly. The guy I use is very good and it's only £1 a kilo.

Coke is effectively refined coal - this burns hot and slowly but sourcing it may be hard as well as relatively expensive.

There is always the option of using a gas forge. Not as fun in my opinion but for heat treating blades I think it is a superior method.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65368&highlight=jojo+forge

All the best
Andy

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
It's hard to learn from PC only, try to get to know a blacksmith or two, then you can get instant anwers in some troubles you ran into. It's possible without tuition, but then a lot of reading is neccesarry, buy up all the books you can and start reading my friend. I'm too lazy for that :D :D although it's good for the ideas you need when starting up...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE