Snugpak softie 3, any opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I have read some good and bad about this sleeping bag, however it is tempting me, OK, it WAS tempting me, I have just bought it for 70 bucks which is pretty decent.

The good -

It is light, 900 grams.
Packsize, 16 by 16 cm. (I bet i can get it smaller)
Temp rating, down to 0 - one review said -5 but i doubt that very much.

The bad -

Several reviews mention it is not warm and that the 0 rating should be increased to 2/3. (however several say the opposite....)

---------

Last year I used a tescos own sleeping bag which weighed in at around 800 grams, however having camped in it this year during March I realised it was just not fit for purpose during colder nights. It cost me 9 bucks, and lasted me all of 2011 except the colder months, so from April to October. Not bad for 9 quid.

I am after something small, warm and light for scottish hiking and bivvy sleeping.

So has anyone tried one of these softie 3's?

Last edited:

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Will do :) I should have it this week and have a 4 night hike planned for the weekend so a decent enough test. Just hoping the hail and snow stops but hell, if I was to stay inside everytime the Scottish weather was miserable I would never go out!

Cheers

I got the Softie 12 and it's great I love it, but it's a bit to warm for summer months

I have a Snugpak underquilt and I think this one or the softie 6 would be great for a 1/2 season bag.

Let us know how you get on with this bag......please

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i've had a softie 3 for 10+years now. the zip doesn't work very well anymore, and some of the stitching around the hood area has given way, but it's still probably the best sleeping bag i own. for weight/comfort/price i think you'd have to go a long way to better it.

for me personally somewhere around about 5 degrees C is about as cold as i'd want to go with a softie 3 without wearing lots of clothes to sleep

HTH

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
agree with the above mine is great light good pack size but i think the season rating is well over rated i have been cold in autumn and spring with it and have had to add layers. I would say 1 - 2 season too and i sleep quite warm indeed my belgian bivy bag with wool blanket in it is warmer but the pack size was the reason i got it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE