SNUGPAK sleeping bags...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Does anyone on here use either a Tactical 4 or Softie 15 sleeping bag from Snugpak? Any thoughts or opinions on either of these bags?

Many thanks.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not those but own a merlin summer bag and the centre zip combo’s and they are my go to sleeping bags, even got rid of an alpkit 800 because of the bulk preferring my snugpaks.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have an old snugpak softie 10 which I got second hand. It's a nice roomy bag which is great as I like to curl up a bit and most bags just don't let me. I don't think it is as warm as it's supposed to be but that could be it's age and possibly being stored compressed.
I've just ordered the snugpak 4 expansion which is as far as I can acertain the newer equivalent of this old bag. It's certainly bulkier in the compression sac so hopefully it's a much warmer bag. Havnt tried it yet. I plan to use it for a camp at half term. I'll know then, but as it's a 4 season should be fine. The snugpak 5 is supposed to be for much colder conditions than you normaly get in the UK.
I read once that the snugpak softie 10 was a minimum requirement for an arctic bag. So if your planning an arctic trip the 5 should be ok.
But I'm only going on what I've read and remember from some time ago.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Thank you both.
I tend to use army surplus stuff like the wonderful M90, but needed something less bulky as I am hoping to do a little one bag canoe overnighter, but loads of portages.
Snugpaks nomenclature is really confusing!!
On recommendation, I opted for the Tactical 4, but Snugpak advised that at my height (6'4") the similarly spec'd Softie 15 Xtra long may be preferable; so I have now ordered one with an "expanda" panel (just in case!). I like to be snug at night without wearing loads of clothes..... It'll take around 3 weeks as apparently made to order.
There is very little on line about these, so thank you !

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
No problem . I know my bag is a lower spec than yours but it's a great bag. That's why I ordered a new one to replace my second hand one.
Got a free tiny torch with mine too !

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not even taken it out of the stuff sac yet! Too busy playing with my new platypus water filter at the moment. Will get round to it soon .let you know what I think when I do.. tho will only test it indoors in my cold bedroom with the window open on a cold night. Just waiting for a decently cold one to try it out.. ie -temp outside.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Not even taken it out of the stuff sac yet! Too busy playing with my new platypus water filter at the moment. Will get round to it soon .let you know what I think when I do.. tho will only test it indoors in my cold bedroom with the window open on a cold night. Just waiting for a decently cold one to try it out.. ie -temp outside.
Lol!!!
I need to go online and investigate this water filter too?????

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I slept in the new bag last night. Windows wide open in an unheated room. Temp was about 8 degrees and got chillier in the early morning.
I went to bed with very cold feet and they warmed from icy to cosy very quickly with no hotty or socks so that was a pleasant surprise. The bag is soft and comfortable with a good loft .
The little torch on the hood is a bit of a gimmick as when placed in the pocket for it, it faces towards the top of the bag rather than towards your feet so a bit of a design boo boo there imho.
The hood design is fantastic. Always hated a drawstring round my face which made me claustrophobic. This is like a jacket hood and stayed in place on my head all night.
I'm still a bit confused with the zips that enable the expansion pannel to be used and could not get it to zip in so used it in normal mode. Still quite roomy and was able to curl my legs up and sleep on my side comfortably.
One thing I've noticed is that with the expansion pannel engaged properly there is no baffle on the zip.
Another thing for snugpak to consider.
All in all for the money a good value bag and my new favorite by a long way. It " breathes well and I don't get all sweaty in it as I have done with other synthetic bags.
I think this will be my go to hammock sleeping bag.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
A nice review, thank you for that: I'm not sure mine has a torch anywhere, but the piece on the expansion panel is interesting, as I have ordered one, but not so sure now, about the not having a baffle bit........we'll see?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
It's still plenty big enough without the expansion pannel for me.
I expect it may make the bag cooler with the pannel used so possibly this could make the bag still usable when it's a bit warmer. Does that make sense? I'm a bit tired tonight and having trouble with coherence. :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, usually a to large sleeping bag doesn't keep you as warm as a well fitting sleeping bag.
But most people use and open a well fitting warm sleeping bag a bit, if it's to warm, or they choose a lighter one in summer times.
;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE