snugpak rocketpak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i read that bigjackbrass has this one, but i wonder if he and/or other can write a good review of it ? has is the fit ? is it durable, etc. it is on mine "i want list" ( proberbly 6 month before it is on # 1 ) and i want to get informed properly before i get one, since they are not availbe in a store nearby, so i can't fit them my self and look for the features it has.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
there is a review going up soon on the rocket pack. I would still suggest that you get one to try though as they strike me as quite a personal pack when it comes to fitting.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
A bit pressed for time just now, but one thing I would say is that the Rocket has a surprisingly short back. The straps are long enough that this was not a problem for me, but the fit is definitely different from, for example, the Macpac rucksack I use on longer trips. It's a rather squat little pack, wide but not too tall, which is a very unusual profile. Removing the side pockets leaves a superbly sized central pack, though, of about 40 litres (2440 c.i.).

It's rugged and well finished, which was a concern and a surprise given my experience with Snugpak's quality in the past, and should take quite a beating. The sewn-in covers are a bit of overkill for the average user, though, and little touches like that make it heavier than it probably should be.

I'll wait for the review before writing further, lest the same ground gets covered twice.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
This looks a lot like my old Berghaus Munro with zips to take PLCE pockets.
I made my own system, based on the good points of all the bergens I've ever used. Will go from 15 litres to 150 litres, made from cordura, has mil-spec fittings and does everything I need it to. Replaces belt-kit, day-sack and my main bergen and all for less than £60. A good project for winter evenings last year too.
Neil1

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Hi, new to this forum, but it's very good and you all seem very knowledgable. Anyway, I was interested in buying one of these packs last year and made some enquireies with Snugpack and was told that they are designed to sit above military "belt order" (above the pouches on your waiste), hence the short back length. Hope this is of help.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Ranger, you beat me to it. That is just how it is. For me the waist strap sits a bit high for comfort, doesn't really distribute the load to my hips the way I would like, and I don't have a real long body either.

It is really well put together and I actually like the built in rain covers, though having 2 seems excessive.

Heavy loads do take some getting used to with it, but I haven't used it for an extended enough period to really have an opinion. I do like the versatility of using the 2 side pockets with the yoke, that rocks :)

Chris

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
If you're after quite a versatile day/weekend sack the Karrimor Sabre 45L looks quite interesting, it has side zips that accept the current issue 125L army issue Bergen side pouches. This will give you the option of increasing it's capacity to 65L or of course you can just use the side pouches with a yoke. Does anyone have experience of this pack? It's stocked by Penrith Survival:

http://www.penrithsurvival.co.uk/

I also know Silermans stock a new 35L army issue day patrol pack, which agian you can zip the 125L side pouches too.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
It does look very much like (identical)my Berghaus Munro 35. This is my favorate sack. Its simple and rugged (bit like me?) works really well but is slightly too small.
I can just about cram a weekends worth of gear into it but its a real squeeze.(I can fit- Sleeping bag in the bottom,set of billy cans, goretex and maybe a pullover. The rest has to be forced. Top pocket K,F,S, paracord etc tent oneside mat on other,axe on loop on back)
So I purchased a pair of exarmy side pockets and yoke at the Gathering to make it a bit larger (£15 the lot?). They don't fit properly and flap about a bit too much for my liking plus i can't attach the tent and sleeping mat to the sides as i used to. Not Ideal.
The snugpak looks like it has zips to secure the sidepockets which I wreckon will be a major plus. And if you can use those pockets on they're own with a yoke they make an exellent daybag. I have used 1 on my mountain bike with a camel back in it, tools cagool etc. comfortable and secure. Well handy.
Ideally I want a sack 5L bigger, with fittings to attach a tent on the bottom. No side pouches. I find my side pockets too wide and clumsy,they stick out beyond my shoulders and catch on stuff. Plus I cram too much in and end up overloaded. howeverThe snugpak ones do look slightly smaller and less cumbersome.
Still the best sack i've come across to date. and wouldn't be without mine.
Hope this may help
Rich

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hang on that snugpak and the Karrimore are 40l ! Perfect, wow somethings do actually evolve correctly. But why no tent loops?
I do wreckon my side pouches are 15l each not 10l as on the snugpak? anyone know ?
Cheers guys
Rich

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Man! beaten to it again! When I was on the Woodlore Fundamental course I was impressed with the rucksacks that the instructors were using, however forgot to ask where they were from.

Just found out they are the 45l Sabre packs from http://www.pri.uk.com/.
Um. Just looked at the sack on Penrithsurvival and the picture looks nothing like the Sabre on the PRI site :-? The only word that the instructors had against it was that it is slightly wider at the bottom forcing them to put their sleeping bag under all the other gear whether they wanted to or not.

Think it is more pricey than the Snugpak, but the back is longer and it has a few more small pockets.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My usual pack is actually a GoLIte Breeze, which has a rather fluid capacity of something like 50 litres. No waist belt and three mesh pouches on the outside instead of traditional pockets. I bought the Rocket to carry heavier loads and take more abuse in the woods (those mesh pockets on the Breeze have a habit of getting snagged), but I roamed all over Skye in appalling weather with the Breeze and found it to be an excellent pack. Since I generally travel with a light pack I don't rely so much on the waistbelt transferring the load to my hips, but I've found that with the Rocket I can get it to ride on the hips comfortably, or ride higher, as the shoulder straps are long enough. It's very stable, although it takes a while to get used to being the backpacking equivalent of a wide vehicle.

If the Rocket has a problem, as such, it's due to the fact that it is designed as a military pack, not mainly for the civilian market. This means that some aspects of its design seem unusual or a little overbuilt, but so far I am very happy with it. The ability to create two smaller packs by using a yoke for the side pockets is very handy.

N

nick

Hi All!

I got myself a Sabre 45 earlier this year and it really is one of the best bits of kit I've ever owned :-D. It's really well put together and is sooooo comfy even when carrying a decent load (20kg+) for extended periods.

Tried a rocketpack but didn't get on with it due to the short back length mentioned previously. It was also well put together.

As with all this stuff it comes down to personal preference, trying things out and finding out what suits you.

Nick

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
on the subject of packs, i bought a highlander 'forces 33' bag back in feb. its nice and tough but the back is very short probably for the same reason as the rocketpack and it doesnt have a padded hipbelt so its not ideal for carrying anyreal weight. like the look of those sabers though, might have to get me one of them.

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE