snugpak Antarctica re 18

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
hi all I'm now ready to update my 25+ year old army issue sleeping bag its been very good to me, i brought it when i was 13 now 28 from the army surplus so i have owned it 15 years but its not up to the changing climates now adays and I'm starting to do more winter camping aswel so I'm thinking of pulling all the stops out and spending quite abit this time round £155 on the snugpak antarctica, just wondering if anybody owns one or has used one before that can give me the ups and downs about this bag as at that price i hope theres not many now I'm 5ft5 and weigh in at 8.5 stone so only a smallie hope this helps ow and as i have always owned green bags I'm wanting this one in black

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
I have it in lack. I am 6'6" and 19 stone. it is a little snugbfor me.

I picked up the infill which made it much better round the chest. It is still to short for me in length. All of that said, I slept out in it in Sweden in -30 in a snow grave and bivi bag and actually got a good nights kip. I used it in sweden for a week in hut, snow grave and quinze and slept well when others were not comfortable.

In Norway the following year, slept in a lavuu for a week at well below -20 on some nights again, absolutely happy. I have not tried to use it anywhere else but the arctic, asi have perfectly good hammock uq and 3 season bags.

I would say it is a really good bag for some one who is not of giant dimensions. I would recommend the quality and warmth. AND I may sell mine off if you are interested.

Chris

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
They are good bags- a friend has had one for years and loves it. However, if i was you, i'd have a think whether a modular set up might give you a bit more flexibility- two bags, a summer and a winter one, which can be combined in extreme conditions. Two snugpaks together will achieve this quite nicely. They even do a set up called the special forces combo:

http://www.snugpak.com/index.php?MenuID=93-106&ItemID=74

..where there bags zip together and have a central zip. Goes down to minus 20- but do you need more? Combined with a pair of softie trousers and jacket, and you could go down much further if you really needed to, and have the flexibility of bags which won't boil you in the summer, and will pack down smaller than the antartica.....

The new british army sleep system (made by corinthia) uses this principle.

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
just a quick up date just had my brand spanking new black Antarctica sleeping bag delivered and wow what a nice peace of kit and hopefully very snug,now all i need to do it get out there and give it a try the only down side is its twice as big as as my mate snugpak hawk softie 9 when compressed in the compression sack but ill get it down abit more lol

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I once camped with a lad who has one and id never seen so happy as when he crawled into his antarc bag so it must be pretty good cus it was winter
Ash

May 14, 2012
Felsted
The bag is awesome super warm but like all snugpak bags I have ever owed they are nigh on impossible to get into the compression bags especially with an expanda panel fitted

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE