Snugpack Antartic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I've been search the forum for information on sleeping bags and it seems there is a consistent view that ratings are largely either to be ignored or down to person taste. I get cold when sleeping, so I need a higher rating bag.

Now I'm aware that there is a view amongst many of you that Snugpack aren't much good, but I really like the look of the "Antartic", mainly because of the central zip and the olive green colour (I sound like a girl, I know). However, even by Snugpacks iffy ratings, will this be too warm for use in the UK?

As ever, your advice would be much appreciated. Cheers, Andrew

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Horses for course - I liek Snugpak and never had a problem of cold with them. The Antarctic might be too warm and it is certainly bulky. I've got a preproduction model of the Tacticle 3 and a silk liner and it is warm enought for winter camping in GLen Coe and by the CIC hut.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
They're fairly pricey aren't they?

Today I just bought my dream sleeping bag as an impulse buy- the excellent Rab 400 Quantum Endurance. It is a down bag and is super duper warm. Just had a kip in my cold store room and it was roasty toasty warm. Niiiice.... It's also very high quality and should last years and years, and years... It is comfort rated for a genuine -5 deg and I'd agree with this (what's that? -15 in Snugpak speak??) and it only weighs 980g and stuffs down into a sack which is smaller than a fully compressed Prolite3 thermarest-which is smaller than a roll of cotton wool... Very very impressed, but I got it cheap at £225. See here:

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/default.php?cPath=119_313_320

third one up from the bottom. It has a Pertex outer to provide
some water resistance. Well worth the money in my eyes...

RGRBOX

Forager
I think that Snug pak is a little on the pricey side.. and I've spoken , and tried out myself, and find them to be a little on the slim side.. that being if you are a little on the large side or like me have large shoulders, ans arms then it is a little... too snug.. I prefer the Carinthia line of military bags.. not pricey, and the qualities is great. www.military-sleeping-bags.com I use their models Troupen (Summer bag), and the Defence 4 (winter bag) and when it is very cold outside, I put the summer bag inside of the winter one, and get -30º comfort...

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have had mine for about 10 years now and its still going strong it is very warm and you can overheat in it from time to time, but with the zip open its quite easy to regulate temp. All in all i think its a good bag and it has seen some use with me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE