Snowy weekend canoe camp on loch awe

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Had a great time this weekend on loch Awe with Jason (jag009), headed up to Innishconnell Castle on the southeastern bank about 3/4 the up the loch.

Innishconnell Castle is a 11th century stronghold of the Clan Campbell and i believe their first power base in the area, now a ruin it is however one of those places that are a joy to camp on due to its ancient looks and sense of history.

Please enjoy the photos of our weekend, i know there quality isnt that great but they were taken on Manservant ancient phone (his wages aint that great but only what he deserves :lmao:)

col1150.jpg

View of the fireplace in great hall

col1152.jpg

Courtyard at entrance to great hall

col1148.jpg

View of Loch from great hall window

col1146.jpg

First night under the new Tantonka T1C Tarp (birthday pressie from Jason and big enough to host a bushmoot under :camping:)

col1151.jpg

The stress of it all, manservant went on strike this weekend due to his low wages and i had to open my own beer and everything, i know terrible that you cant get the staff now days!!!!!:nono:

col1133.jpg

No one told me it was going to snow this week end!!!!:togo:

col1134.jpg

see what happens when that bad manservant of mine doesnt pitch my tent for me, my wellies were full of snow!!
(Canvas Duluth bedroll stood up well to the snow, toastie warm and sleeping bag bone dry - except for hood)

col1147.jpg

Jasons tent (aka manservant), he eventually found his way to his tent using a team of alaskan huskies and moaned all night about being too warm in his tent :campfire:

Overall a brilliant weekend away and even though the photos make it look like the arctic circle we had a lovely day on saturday afternoon with the water ice calm and a stunning low sun reflecting of the water. A dream to canoe on....

If ever you get the chance to visit innishconnel castle on the island, you wont regret it, a real stunning place to chill on for the weekend...

Colin....

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Looks like an amazing spot, amazing to think that the buildings are 1000 years old. Great to see all that cold/wet weather gear being used to full advantage too.
Still not a single flake of snow here :(

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Easy now Tam, im getting old now and sensitive too. but i agree with you, an old thing staying in a old thing - a match made in heaven.

How were your feet this weekend? Although compared to wiston lodge, that was sunbathing weather this weekend eh mate??????

Colin

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Easy now Tam, im getting old now and sensitive too. but i agree with you, an old thing staying in a old thing - a match made in heaven.

How were your feet this weekend? Although compared to wiston lodge, that was sunbathing weather this weekend eh mate??????

Colin

Had the mucks on again.
Stephen gave us those 'hotties' warmers,they went in the sock, in the wellie..nice:D
Had them in my nanock slippers in the hammock too..bliss.

I thought it was a bit balmy too,was certainly toasty in the sac.:lmao:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I went for a couple of hot rocks in my towel/shemagh tucked in the sleeping bag an hour before i went to kip, woke up about 3am in morning and still roastie toastie, one night in a place like wiston lodge with those temps and you soon learn to have all the warm gear and tricks of the trade to keep you warm.

Arctic circle was a walk in the park compared to Bonnie Scotland, although some of those southern softies in my lavvu might disagree lol.....

Col

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I went for a couple of hot rocks in my towel/shemagh tucked in the sleeping bag an hour before i went to kip, woke up about 3am in morning and still roastie toastie, one night in a place like wiston lodge with those temps and you soon learn to have all the warm gear and tricks of the trade to keep you warm.

Arctic circle was a walk in the park compared to Bonnie Scotland, although some of those southern softies in my lavvu might disagree lol.....

Col

When I was moving about in the night I felt the hotties were even warmer,might have been imagination but I know some of these type of things can reach c. 55deg I believe.

I had my hot water bottle too of course,wool blanket, exped downmat, down bag and buffalo bag as an overblanket. Oh and 2 underquilts...:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE