Snowfire Ointment Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger85

Dec 28, 2011
north wales
My mum swears by this for winter chapped hands, and I've been trying to buy this online for while and cant seem to find it anywhere, there's a few on eBay but they are £20 a stick instead of the usual £4, I'm assuming its discontinued but just wondering if anyone on here has heard anything or has a very similar alternative.
Many thanks
JT

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Blistex, used to be Blistese. Fixes splits in lips and hands. Tiger Balm might be a bit harsh on broken skin if that’s what you’re needing it for, it’s a bit like Ralgex, good for blood stimulation and muscles.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The tigerbalm is recommended by chiropodists for chilblains; one of my cousins has suffered all her life from them every Winter. It was her comment that came to mind when the OP said he couldn't get Snowfire anymore.

The ingredients for Snowfire are....

Petrolatum, Paraffinum, Cymbopogon nardus, Eugenia caryophyllus, Juniperus oxycedrus, Styrax benzoin, Thymus serpillum var citriodorus, Thymus vulgaris, Parfum, Cl 75810, Limonene, Eugenol, Citronellol, Geraniol, Linalool, Citral.

or, depending on the source ......
  • Benzoin BPC 0.020% w/w.
  • Citronella BPC 0.060% w/w.
  • Thyme Oil 1949 BPC 0.010% w/w.
  • Lemon Thyme Oil HSE 0.010% w/w.
  • Clove Oil BP 0.040% w/w.
  • Cade Oil BPC 0.040% w/w.
TIgerbalm....
Active Ingredients: Camphor 11% (Topical Analgesic), Menthol 10% (Topical Analgesic)

Inactive Ingredients: Cajuput Oil, Cassia Oil, Clove Oil, Dementholized Mint Oil and Paraffin Petrolatum

Both will soothe and warm the skin.
Neither are recommended for broken skin though.
The white version of the Tigerbalm, the Ultra one, is gentle enough to be used on hacks however.

I cannot see how clove oil ends up in the 'inactive ingredients' list though :dunno: clove oil is a long known to ease the pain of toothache.

The base though seems to be pretty much just a vaseline type of thing in both of them.
Seems as though both are just a moisturising and gently warming cream.
If it's a chapstick that the lady wants though, then vaseline do a lipsyl (three for £2.99 last time I saw them) but they also do those neat wee tins of vaseline with everything from Aloe Vera to Rose and a small tube of the stuff too.

ranger85

Dec 28, 2011
north wales
Mum actually managed to find a few sticks in a small local pharmacy, so they are still about but only just! and she got 2 for the price of 1 as they had a short "best before" date

Reactions: Toddy

Luce1923

Dec 6, 2021
Harrogate
You used to be able to buy it on Amazon. It was cheap and also very good. The right way to apply it is every hour or so it's pulls the blood to the surface.

berwicklaw

Jan 30, 2022
edinburgh
My mum swears by this for winter chapped hands, and I've been trying to buy this online for while and cant seem to find it anywhere, there's a few on eBay but they are £20 a stick instead of the usual £4, I'm assuming its discontinued but just wondering if anyone on here has heard anything or has a very similar alternative.
Many thanks
JT
Snowfire has gone but I make my own approximately according to the original recipe . ( all ingredients available easily on Ebay or Amazon)
Blend the following oils into 100 m.l. of yellow petroleum jelly

Benzoin 1 drop, Citronella 2 drops, Thyme 1 drop, Clove 2 drops Cade 2 drops Lemon Thyme 1 drop . This is somewhat stronger than the original but I have used a mixture 2-3 times as strong as this without problems. It works as good as the original. (You should use rectified Cade oil if possible as unrectified Cade oil is possibly a carcinogen.)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE