Snow Thermometers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snow-Thermometers.jpg

I’ve been tinkering again.

I wanted some spirit thermometers for working in sub zero temperatures. They are useful for tracking the weather and snow conditions.

I found some simple thermometers on a brewing site that spanned the range I needed +50°c to -42°c. They came in a simple plastic case which protected the glass in transit and even provided a hanging loop which is useful, but if I’m going to leave a couple of these hanging on tree branches, I wanted something a little more robust for when they are in use.

So, sifting through some brass tube in my engineering chest, I found one just the right size and made sleeves for a pair.

Handily, they still fit into the plastic sleeve for transport as well which is a bonus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stood and Dogoak

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Add to those a 6" square of black velvet-type material and a good magnifying glass. Snow metamorphoses over time. The structure has dramatically different character. I can feel it change from day to day, walking around in my front yard. Look next at the snow types identified in Avalanche training websites. Those "weak layers" might be 2-6" thick and the consistency of ball bearings. The snow pack above and below could be the consistency of bread.

Doesn't take much. Was a gentle slope of a hill got the last guy in a row of snowmobiles. Of course, nobody heard a thing. Just slumped down on a weak layer over the track and he was gone.

Is there a way that I can see .jpg? Love to see your brass handiworks.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Excellent = armored thermometers. Useful kit in every government fisheries agency that I ever worked for. I believe, that along with a good compass, everybody should own one of these.

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Like many tools that do not come with a sharp edge or a high powered LED, I think an accurate thermometer is much underrated in the bushcraft / outdoor community.

Not only can it give clues to the weather but it can also give useful information for fishing too.

In snow conditions I think it is almost essential.

• Love
Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE