snakes in the uk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
I was out the other weekend at a local nature reserve and to my surprise came across a large [4ft] snake ,it was autum leaf brown along its sides and darker greeny brown along its back . Anyone else come across anything like this of this size! :confused:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Sounds like a grass snake to me. Really nice snake. Its harmless but if you pick it up it sometimes squirts nasty smelling stuff (I think you can probably guess where it comes from!) over you. Sticks to your clothes for ages.

maximus otter

Sep 14, 2003
UK
Years ago I caught a beautiful grass snake on a shoot. It had obviously just shed its skin and was a bright, glossy green with a well-defined neck stripe. I couldn't keep it, so I passed it on to a mate, who later passed it on again. He later told me that the snake had appeared on Blue Peter! It's my only claim to fame...

They have an amusing three-stage defence strategy:

1. Although completely harmless, they pretend to strike at you, the strike never making contact. If this doesn't work...

2. They play dead. It's very convincing. They flop over onto their backs and go completely limp, tongue dangling from the mouth. The only problem is, if you turn them over onto their bellies, they immediately roll over onto their backs again! If this doesn't work...

3. The snake exudes a foul-smelling liquid from its vent, then ties itself into knots, smearing the evil goo along its entire body. Ewww!

All in all, like most inedible, non-vermin species, they're best left alone and watched for the fascinating creatures they are.

maximus otter

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Definately sounds like a grass snake to me, Many years ago I found a big one at the base of a tree near the farmhouse in Nottinghamshire, that was about 3 1/2 ft long or so, my memory is a little hazy after so many years and I was something between 4 and 6 years old.

My most alarming snake incident was in the late 80s, clearing silt from a tunnel between a couple of ponds at a commune in Sussex, no room to turn around and suddenly I saw a largeish snake swimming towards me. Knowing that like any animal snakes only get realy nasty when cornered or injured I backed up 20 yards on hands and knees as fast as I could. Thankfully that was faster than the snake could swim forwards.

T

toxopholist

Hi, I've attached a pic of a grass snake I took a few days ago.

Attachments

• Grass_Snake_SCFA_April24_2005_0088a.jpg
    Grass_Snake_SCFA_April24_2005_0088a.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 140

steveo

Forager
May 10, 2005
Earth
yep thats the one allright, I just didnt know they got that that large! :)

Of that which does not kill us only makes us stronger !

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
toxopholist said:
Hi, I've attached a pic of a grass snake I took a few days ago.
Nice photo toxopholist :)

There is a great web site for info and identification of British reptiles and amphibians (in the UK there are 12 native species with some introductions also) with great photos:

A guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians found in the UK (Reptile and Amphibian Identification)

Click for more detailed info on the Grass Snake (Natrix natrix) from the brilliantly illustrated ident pages, including a lovely photo of one playing 'dead' ;)

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
when me and my brother were kids (long time ago :) )

StotRe(My Brother) almost stood on a Male Adder whilst out walking in the lakedistrict with my Dad. it was sunbathing in a forest fire break!

I wont tell you how he reacted, to save embarresment :D, but we all slowly moved away, and the Adder slivered off!

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Their rather common further north, normally under fallen trees or stacked logs.

Try lifting a few logs over next time you goto the Lakes, never know what could be under. ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have never seen an adder in the UK, are they really that elusive? I wonder how many thousands of people have never seen one, apart from in a zoo.

I remember as a kid seeing a grass snake, which was doing the playing dead thing. The thing is, as I didn't know until now that they do this, it was possibly actually alive!!

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Not common I think - only ever seen one adder in the wild - when I was 7 years old - it was up in galloway sunning itself among the heather. I didn't notice it until I almost stepped on it and it beat a hasty retreat. :D

I've seen quite a few Adders in the wild and the best place to see them is next to small ponds or streams where frogs are in abundance, especially in the summer.
They love to sunbathe.
You also hear stories every year of golfers getting bitten by Adders as they thrash around in the rough looking for their lost golf balls.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
Never seen an Adder? Actually a long time since I have seen a Grass Snake now.

Wonder if UK is too cold, although are they cold blooded or warm? :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE