Smudge Fire....?? ?? ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey All,

Can anyone tell me what a Smudge fire is and how you make them....

I mean, I know they are sort of aromatic smokey fires for Native American rituals and also for keeping biting insects away but I don't really know how to make one and what sort of wood I need to use or how to build it etc....

I want it mainly to keep the mossi's away....

Any help would be appriciated... :eek:):

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't know about 'smudge fire' but we make "smoke" from sweetgrass. Plait it into ropes about 2' long and about as thick as the inside cardboard roll from kitchen towels. They hang to dry for a couple of weeks and then the ends are lit and the flame blown out and it slowly smoulders with a really nice scented smoke. The grass grows down the Clyde estuary so suppose it's indigenous....don't know it's botanical name...sorry :?: If you look up old herbals or receipt (old name for recipe, for *everything*) books or check out some of the pagan links you may find what you're looking for under Hearth Herbs. Mugwort is a goodie as is Juniper, bog myrtle give off stuff that discourages midgies :super: (if you boil the little cones they'll leave a skim of oily wax, mix this in with either dried grass (the *lawn* stuff!) or moss and burn it, that works too....now I just need to find something that stops clegs :cry:

Cheers,
Toddy

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Thanks Toddy....judging by the number of views and quiet response it doesn't look like anyone else is too sure on them either....that's good, at least I'm not the only one! lol.....

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hmmm I may be wrong but I think this is when you put the mud of a termite mound on your fire to discourage mosquitos. i'll do a little research for ya!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
TheViking said:
Have a look here mate. :) Don't know if it's of any use.

Hey!!!! Top job Viking....hopefully the team won't get eaten alive while we're in Sweden in June..lol Many thanks for your help Matey :biggthump

Whomever wrote that article is definately a person after my own heart...I loved this bit:

"An attempt to produce almost any other kind of a fire will bring forth smoke abundantly. But when you deliberately undertake to create a smudge, flames break from the wettest timber, and green moss blazes with a furious heat. You hastily gather handfuls of seemingly incombustible material and throw it on the fire, but the conflagration increases. Grass and green leaves hesitate for an instant and then flash up like tinder. The more you put on, the more your smudge rebels against its proper task of smudging. It makes a pleasant warmth, to encourage the black-flies; and bright light to attract and cheer the mosquitoes. Your effort is a brilliant failure."
Fantastic....and so bound to happen to me! :rolmao:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Bam.. i use bundles of deyed sage for smudgeing in ceremony.. but this, i think, is some what different to the smudge fire used for insect repelent... i have recently been reading Rutstrums 'new way of the wilderness' and it describes a smudge fire for this purpose.. however i dont know the details of this fire.. though i would suggest it is that wich 'smolders' and not 'burns' there for smoke is its primary by-product is smoke/steam as opposed to heat or light!!!??

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
You are right CK, certain grasses and woods have different uses in smudging, purifying, ourselves, our houses, to cleanse (bacteria odor) us, as an offering to Creator, a mask for scent, appease spirits, as a medicine. We use cedar, sweet grass, sage and tobacco principly but medicine people use others also.
just a thought

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No; I hadn't thought of woodruff for this though. The grass grows in the tidal river silt. I've tried Flora Celtica but can't find it there either.....maybe it's one of those 'travellers' that came in with the old trading ships.
I'm going to haul out the last bundles and see if I can find a seed head, maybe that'd help, but it is a grass and it's a real goodie :)
Toddy

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Toddy said:
No; I hadn't thought of woodruff for this though. The grass grows in the tidal river silt. I've tried Flora Celtica but can't find it there either.....maybe it's one of those 'travellers' that came in with the old trading ships.
I'm going to haul out the last bundles and see if I can find a seed head, maybe that'd help, but it is a grass and it's a real goodie :)
Toddy

There are two grasses I know that are used as incenses - one is known as sweetgrass, and looks like this:

sweetgrass.fl.JPG

The other one is known as Sweet Vernal Grass and looks like this:

sweet_vernal_grass.jpg

Which has broader flatter leaves.

Don't know if either of these are the ones you are burning though:?:

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Cool as.... I've got some citronella tea-lite candles that I'll bring along with my bugspray and net (think I may buy a head net off Gary too) but I just wanted to see if we could do things in a bit more of a bushcrafty way while we're over there....

I'm sure Gary and Johan will have idea's for smudge fires etc as well but I thought I'd ask what the guys and gals on here had to tell me about them too :eek:): Also, I've read most of Tom Brown Jr's books and he talks about them quite a lot so I was interested to hear more about them.....

W

Walkabout

The inner woody bit of a dead clematis stem can be lit at one end and left to smoulder like an incense stick. Also as it has a porous structure along its length it can be smoked like a cigar, hence the name "boys bacca". However seeing as its poisonous... :shock: :nono:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
match said:
There are two grasses I know that are used as incenses - one is known as sweetgrass, and looks like this:

sweetgrass.fl.JPG

This looks most like it Match....the workshops are flitting and the new ones are being renovated....I can't find a d***** thing :cry: I've only got a small bundle here at home and there aren't any seeds in it, so I won't swear to it being the same, but....
It makes really good cordage too, fine stuff, not coarse and hand shredding.
Thanks,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE