Smoking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Can some one with more knowledge than me ,please explain the difference between hot and cold smoking (other than the obvious).

Is one better than the other or only for certain things,or maybe the smoked food doesnt last as long??

Help really confused.:confused: :confused:

GS

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I think hot smoking just cooks the food and flavours it for immediate consumption.
Cold smoking is for preserving the food.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Can some one with more knowledge than me ,please explain the difference between hot and cold smoking (other than the obvious).

Is one better than the other or only for certain things,or maybe the smoked food doesnt last as long??

Help really confused.:confused: :confused:

GS
In order to preserve meat it is smoked over a low fire in a smokehouse
For 7 to 8 days this is the way it is don over hear.
If you want the proses just PM me

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Perhaps I should have been clearer as to the reason for asking.

I have a small hot smoker and I am interested in using it, rather than it being like most of my impulse buys ,purely ornamental.

So if I smoke some meat for example how long would it keep and what is the best way to keep it.

Or is cold smoking better??

GS

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hot smoking will not IMO make the product last any longer than any other form of cooking.
All you are really doing is cooking the product and adding smoke flavour. The amount of time it will last is still dependent on storage. Cold smoking is used more for preserving as well as adding flavour ie oak smoked cheese but there are certain items which cold smoke better. Meats that for safety need to be cooked well need to be hot smoked.
Dave
http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Exactly-is-Cold-Smoking?&id=108679

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
There are ways to smoke meat to preserve it . How do you think they
kelp meat in the old days. You just need to know the right way. and
you wont find it on a web site you need to ask some of the old folks who have don it. Then you will get the hole proses

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE