Smoked Salt

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Been experimenting with my smoker, and smoked a big batch of Malden salt (beechwood smoke), tried some on a steak this evening and it did add a wee BBQ grill taste.

Anyway looking for some testers to try it out for me, let me know what they think and make suggestions for using it. Chiseller's got a leather pouchful on it's way to him from the gift-it-on thread already.

There's a wee bag of salt to the first 5 to post on here & pm me their address, all that's required is some feedback.

Thanks,

Rod

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Be nice on some roasted cherry tomatoes! Are you cold smoking?

Hot smoked it - top layer got the most smoke, and the salt caked together a bit, but broke up easily & was easy mixed to give a nice touch of smoke (I hope).

That's 4 -1 more to go (Mesquite send me an address - actually there's a though - I've got some mesquite chunks - and I find it a bit strong for meat smoking, but to give a strong smoked salt for meat..... when I next get to tescos I'll get some more malden & try that one....)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I would be up for it....

Thinking of jerky seasoning!

May be good on salmon or trout

Last edited:

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
put me first on the list for that then LOL ! :)

once again, many thanks Rod and i'll even try and post piccy of the VERY VERY blue steak and smoked salt :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just an idea, but try spraying misted water lightly onto batch 2... The water will both capture and draw the smoke further into the salt.

Works for Chillies..!

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Hi Rod, salt arrived today and very tastey it is too !!

( the envelope had been opened and re-sealed by RM then put into a plastic bag with an apology for the condition of the parcel when it was delivered ) :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE