Smoke from a wood fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi Folks,
In most (all) the places I go walking I am not allowed to light a wood fire so I tend to bring a Coleman's F1 gas burner with me, or even a thermos if the gas is frowned upon. However, at the bottom of my garden I have a spot that would be ideal for messing about practicing fire-lighting and maybe doing a bit of cooking. The only potential snag is that when I lit a fire before, I had one neighbour complain about the smoke. Admittedly, it was in the afternoon and there was a bit of pine in there which seemed to smoke a lot. (I think that legally you can't light a garden fire before 6pm?). I've read somewhere that oak and ash give off only a little smoke and I was wondering what you guys thought, is that true? I also assume that the drier the wood the less it will smoke? Any tips or hints on how to get a 'smokeless' wood fire ;)
Mike.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
You get very little smoke when using a wood gasification stove but it does depends on the condition of the wood of course.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There will be smoke when starting any fire, Mike.

When we used to live in suburbia, I would have regular fires - though I would avoid days when neighbors were pottering in their gardens or had washing on the line or windows open, it just struck me as good manners. You would do well to check you local restrictions, but there's not much to stop you doing what you want in your own garden.

I would consider garden fire lighting to be a great way to learn the basics, especially how to make any fire as smoke free as possible. You are right in surmising that Ash & Oak (as well as Haw & Blackthorn) will produce less smoke but it will depend upon how dry it is and how well prepared. Most conifer species will smoke a lot and give off an acrid smell because of the resins within.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
The dryer the wood the less energy from the fire goes into turning moisture to steam and the more complete the combustion of the fuel - ergo less smoke.

Use well seasoned and dried hardwoods and you'll get a lot less smoke than if you use damp or unseasoned wood or resinous softwood.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Quick peek over the fence to see of neighbours have washing out is good form. After that very thin split and dry wood until you get plenty of heat to burn the thicker stuff. Takes a while to build a fire that has enough residual heat to burn heavy stuff. Especially if the weather and material is damp.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
so why do these `disposable` BBQ`s give out a lot of smoke when they are first lit , dry charcoal in a foil tray ?? not having a dig - just curious ,is it the waxed paper you have to light to ignite the charcoal ???

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
so why do these `disposable` BBQ`s give out a lot of smoke when they are first lit , dry charcoal in a foil tray ?? not having a dig - just curious ,is it the waxed paper you have to light to ignite the charcoal ???

Briquettes have a filler in them to form the pellets, the starter paper/bag is impregnated with hydrocarbons to make it easy to light and there will be some water in there as it will be impossible to keep them perfectly dry.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Efficient combustion requires a certain level of heat. Until that level is reached the combustion will be inefficient and the result is smoke.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I run applewood chunks in my smoker BBQ. The whole neighborhood knows I'm doing ribs or chickens!
Every neighborhood must have somebody to complain about anything and everything.
But, they might have severe respiratory challenges, so you could be SOOL.

bikething has the answer = more-or-less complete combustion takes a lot of heat.
I heat my home with a compressed wood pellet stove. Just a soup-dish of fire but
fanned like a forge = no smoke.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Thanks for the replies folks. I think I'll build up a stash of hardwood and cover it so it can air-dry. Once the weather picks up, I spend quite a bit of time in the garden (as you do) working on the veggie plot etc. and I can't think of anything nicer than stopping at midday to do a bit of cooking outdoors on a fire down the end of the garden now and again. I think everything tastes better outdoors. Even when we cook in the kitchen, we eat outdoors whenever we can. Stevie your 'tyre' comment made me laugh and I could just visualise that neighbour I mentioned having a multiple coronary at the sight of the smoke:)
Thanks all, and enjoy your Sunday!

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Just found this POEM (!) about logs:

Logs to burn

Logs to burn, logs to burn,
Logs to save the coal a turn
Here’s a word to make you wise,
When you hear the woodman’s cries.
Never heed his usual tale,
That he has good logs for sale,
But read these lines and really learn
the proper kind of logs to burn.

OAK logs will warm you well,
If they’re old and dry.
LARCH logs of pine wood smell,
But the sparks will fly.
BEECH logs for Christmas time,
YEW logs heat well.
SCOTCH logs it is a crime
For anyone to sell.

BIRCH logs will burn too fast,
CHESTNUT scarce at all.
HAWTHORN logs are good to last,
If you cut them in the fall.
HOLLY logs will burn like wax
You should burn them green
ELM logs like smouldering flax
No flame to be seen

PEAR logs and APPLE logs,
They will scent your room.
CHERRY logs across the dogs,
Smell like flowers in bloom.
But ASH logs, all smooth and grey,
Burn them green or old;
Buy up all that come your way,
They’re worth their weight in gold.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Google rocket stove - lots of designs for efficient, smoke-free, DIY stoves - also check your garden prevailing wind for siting of your wood-burning experiments. My neighbour burned-off in hyis garden ONCE - environmental health round within a week because of neeby complaint! It's all good fun though:)

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Mike, had me a wee backyard fire tonight (wife and kids at cinema) using some well seasoned ash and my satellite dish firepit. Dont know what I'd do without SKY!
eac94e9d9c61189c3336e2cb3e8b7b1b.jpg

Last edited:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Have a look at the "Home Fire Logs" that are sold in the £ shops and B&M etc. Whilst not a real wood fire they burn quite well and smoke free. I think Wayland did a bit of a write up about them some months ago.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Btw Mike, a night time fire (this one was 8 00pm) is unlikely to upset anyone at this time of year so I'd be tempted to go ahead and burn whatever you have.

Oddly I find that very often neighbours who make complaints like this are the ones who illuminate their gardens all night and use those 'work of the devil' outdoor heaters.

Enjoy!

T

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
That's true about the night time fire, nobody notices the smoke :campfire:. As it happens, I have a few unwanted ash saplings growing up in my road-side hawthorn hedge so I'll be harvesting those later in the year (we don't have a woodburner so last year when I cut them back I threw them out :eek:). In the meantime, I've found out there's a guy a few miles away who sells kiln-dried hardwood so I'm going to buy a bag of that - if he sells it in bags that is :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE