Smock Envy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i dont have the book, it might be the same one about which there are several other threads on this site.. have a search in the arcives for key words 'ray's smock' and the like.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Don't have the book either - so can't check it, but since the book accompanies RM's new series I think it's this jacket you mean (see this site: Swazi Tahr jacket ):

lrg,WT.jpg

If this is the one you mean, you can do a search on this site - already got plenty of coverage ;) :D (we are still in denial ... we ain't no kitaholics :rolleyes: ).

Hope this helps.

fern

Oct 18, 2004
Wales
Its a Swazi from New Zealand, I think somebody is selling them in the uk (at vastly inflated prices!) but I have dealt with Swazi before and it works out cheaper buying direct. Excellent company to deal with

Link: www.swazi.co.nz

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
http://www.tamarackbushcraft.co.uk/ sell Swazi gear.

Wierd stuff too - i bought one of their Crikey Creek goretex hats a week or two ago - the outher is a sort of fleecy material! very cozy and comfy but would make a large jacket rather heavy....

edit - i forgot to mention that i started a thread on britishblades last week to ask if anyone had used these jackets and got no response so maybe we need to ask RM for a review :D

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I bought one of those smocks from Tamarack just before christmas, I've used it a fair bit since then and have to say they are very good. Its a very tough piece of kit, but is not too heavy or large to pack up and carry when not needed.
The cuffs are one of the best features, made of stretch gore-tex they don't let any water in (good in a canoe). The one thing I don't like about though is the hood, its very large and has no volume adjuster. This means your head turns inside the hood to some degree rather than the hood turning with your head. I solved this problem though by wearing a Buff on the outside of the jacket just arround the neck.
Overall though its very good and I certainly recomend it.

Just to add Tamarack is a very nice store to visit, they have lots of other interesting bushcrafty stuff to look at. :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
bushblade said:
I bought one of those smocks from Tamarack just before christmas, I've used it a fair bit since then and have to say they are very good. Its a very tough piece of kit, but is not too heavy or large to pack up and carry when not needed.
The cuffs are one of the best features, made of stretch gore-tex they don't let any water in (good in a canoe). The one thing I don't like about though is the hood, its very large and has no volume adjuster. This means your head turns inside the hood to some degree rather than the hood turning with your head. I solved this problem though by wearing a Buff on the outside of the jacket just arround the neck.
Overall though its very good and I certainly recomend it.

Just to add Tamarack is a very nice store to visit, they have lots of other interesting bushcrafty stuff to look at. :)

Any chance of somekind of review there mate? ;) :D

How about sizes? Detail piccies? How did it worked with a rucksack? What do you wear underneath it? What about the waterproof stuff (I know it's Gore-Tex, but how was it like wearing it when it was really raining hard? Did you worked with it near fire :rolleyes: :eek:? Are you happy with the arm cuffs thingies? etc. etc.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Ahjno said:
Any chance of somekind of review there mate? ;) :D

How about sizes? Detail piccies? How did it worked with a rucksack? What do you wear underneath it? What about the waterproof stuff (I know it's Gore-Tex, but how was it like wearing it when it was really raining hard? Did you worked with it near fire :rolleyes: :eek:? Are you happy with the arm cuffs thingies? etc. etc.

I'll try and get some photos up and do a review soon then if people are interested.

For now though to answer your questions;

It works very well with a rucksack the top half of the jacket is very roomy and the sleaves have fantastic freedom of movement, so no problems there.

Yes its gore tex so is guaranteed waterproof, breathability is very good for standard gore tex so I have experienced very little condensation, only then I have experienced it on the back where the jackets breathability is hindered by a rucksack.

The outer is a polyester moleskin which is bonded to the Gore membrane making it very tough and almost silent especialy when brushing up against branches/twigs. But it is synthetic so would be damaged by sparks from a fire, however I have worn it arround fires, and as long as you are sensible about which woods you burn and observe how the fire is burning this is a judgement you can make at the time. If I've got a fire that spits I wouldn't wear it.

Underneath it I usualy where any conbination of the following

Base layers- Rab merino wool, or eco wool merino T's
Base/mid- Ullfrotte, arktis antarctic shirt
Outer- Swanndri short length collared bush shirt or ranger shirt, snowsled single layer ventile smock.

This varies as of time of year, what I'm doing and where I am.

The cuffs are very good, they used to be neoprene on the older jackets but are now stretch gore tex.

Also the length of the jacket is such that you allways have a waterproof seat hanging there ready for imediate use. It also stops the backs of muddy/wet boots coming into contact with your nice dry bum when squating :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE