Smith and Wesson SWEXT, a survival tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
This is the Smith and Wesson SWEXT. While it is marketed in their “Extreme Ops” tactical line up I felt with it’s size, extra weight, and very thick blade (.25 inches) it would function more in the role of a survival tool than as a weapon and chose to try it out in that role. The blade is 5 1/2 inches long, 2 inches wide with a slightly recurved edge and has a fuller on each side. It has a green canvas micarta handle

SWEXT.jpg

First I checked out the edge by cutting a little webbing and though it wasn’t quite as sharp as some other knives it handled that just fine.

Cutwebbing.jpg

Next I did a little chopping and splitting and it handled that well also. The bean shaped handled being rounded the way it is actually pretty comfortable when chopping.

Chopping.jpg

Splitting.jpg

Splitwood.jpg

I chopped on some fatwood a bit to check the edge retention, and it held up fine for the time I chopped with it.

Bustingfatwood.jpg

PICT0290.jpg

PICT0293.jpg

I like the choil and grooved thumb ramp, these make the knife easy to control. It handled making a fuzz stick fine.

Slightrecurve.jpg

PICT0283.jpg

The size and thickness of the blade allows it to function well as a digging tool. I dug into an old log to dig out some punk and it did very well.

Diggingpunkwood-1.jpg

Diggingpunkwood-2.jpg

I also dug up some wild onions. These are good to add flavor to any stews or soups cooked out in the bush and are good for you too, but because of rocks this can be rough on the edge of a knife over time…one of the reasons I advocate having a secondary fixed blade.

Digginguponions-1.jpg

Digginguponions-2.jpg

Wildonions-4.jpg

I’m not really crazy about hook and loop fastening systems for blade retention they do tend to have a lot of give in them.

PICT0294.jpg

and I do have two issues with the sheath. First it does allow a lot of movement in the handle.

PICT0295.jpg

Secondly this one is sewn in such a way as it would only fit on a narrow belt.

PICT0296.jpg

PICT0298.jpg

But other than that the sheath seems to be sturdily constructed with a heavy liner and plenty of rivets and stitching to hold it together over time

sewnandriveted.jpg

All in all it seems to be a good knife for rough work., and functional in some of the more finer work also. I think it would easily crack nuts, and even make a decent improvised cleaver when processing game or fish. A pretty good knife to have tucked back in your pack or your vehicle.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I also dug up some wild onions. These are good to add flavor to any stews or soups cooked out in the bush and are good for you too, but because of rocks this can be rough on the edge of a knife over time…one of the reasons I advocate having a secondary fixed blade.

Or you could use your knife to fashion a digging stick... ;) Nice review though.

Or you could use your knife to fashion a digging stick... ;) Nice review though.

This is very true, and I definitely would in a long term situation just to save the edge on my knife. I have encountered times out where it was best to move quickly due to weather or to reinforce the positive mental attitude of those with me.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the review.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
As always, a great review Mistwalker. I've got a similar scabbard on a S&W Kabar clone. The velcro does seem to be rather flimsy for keeping a knife in place but the scabbard does the blade securely and I don't have any fears of losing the knife. I've also managed to thread it onto a BDU-style belt, but maybe the SWEXT's loops are smaller.

Keep up the good work!

Claudiasboris

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, but I did laugh out loud when I looked at the pictures.

Good photos and good on you for giving it a try, but I think it looks a singularly useless bit of kit for work in the woods, "survival" or otherwise.

From those pictures it doesn't look like it would do anything at all well. In fact, like most of the lures sold in tackle shops...designed to catch fishermen more than fish, it looks like it was designed to look like some kind of sharpened prybar for forcing entry through locked doors and windows. Maybe that's what it would be good for? :confused:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I like the look of it.

Not sure what one poster was on about, your pictures demonstrate it can do most of the jobs you would want a knife to do.

If it is going in the UK for the same as the US, I might be very tempted.

Do agree that the sheath is one of the worse I have every seen, looks almost like an ebay special. But a bit of kydex, or leather could sort that.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry, but I did laugh out loud when I looked at the pictures.

Good photos and good on you for giving it a try, but I think it looks a singularly useless bit of kit for work in the woods, "survival" or otherwise.

From those pictures it doesn't look like it would do anything at all well. In fact, like most of the lures sold in tackle shops...designed to catch fishermen more than fish, it looks like it was designed to look like some kind of sharpened prybar for forcing entry through locked doors and windows. Maybe that's what it would be good for? :confused:

Interesting...you're missing the whole point and then getting it all at the same time.... now I'm :confused: lol.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hmmm. I reckon that I am still missing the point. Are you saying that because the knife is designed for prying open windows its a good bushcraft knife; or that it can be used in bushcraft inspite of being designed for prying open windows?

Why, if you believe that you may need a tool for making fire, cleaning game, preping food and making shelter, would you choose something that was meant as a sharpened pry bar? Why not choose something that is designed from the outset for cutting? If you wanted something for splitting, wouldn't it be better without the swedge so that you could use a batton on the spine more easily?

Looking back at the other knives that you have reviewed I find myself puzzled. All the latest ones are variations of "tactical" knives. Tanto points, serations, massive thickness, and thick bevels. Is the intention to show that people shouldn't discount knives designed for the military from use in bushcraft? Don't get me wrong, its not that I have anything against big knives, or anything against stuff that is popular with the military, but this stuff you are using is pure military, forced into bush use, rather than something with dual purpose designed in at the start.

Is it about cost? Doesnt' anyone make a cheap knife that looks like the BK7, BK9, Companion, RAT7, or RAT-1?

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
There is a bit of me (and I suspect in others as well) that finds these kind of knives fascinating to look at. I suspect it's the matt black 'stealth' look and the inner child in me that does it.
But, truth is, I'd feel a right prat with something like that.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
There is a bit of me (and I suspect in others as well) that finds these kind of knives fascinating to look at

Sort of, yes. I think that for an obviously 'tacticool' design that this one is more aesthetically pleasing than many similar products, someone has sat down and put some thought into the look of the thing, however I very much doubt that that person has ever spent any time actually working with a knife day to day.

The sheath is terrible, the amount of play positively dangerous and a knife of this style and look should really have a kydex sheath anyway :)

Thanks for putting up the review though, obviously some folks appreciated it and if nothing else the rest are now more 'informed'. Why not humor us and review one of those tiny European knives next time :D

"As soon as your design crosses from an obvious Knife pattern to something odd and wierd shaped--all you have is something odd and wierd shaped"

Sort of, yes. I think that for an obviously 'tacticool' design that this one is more aesthetically pleasing than many similar products, someone has sat down and put some thought into the look of the thing, however I very much doubt that that person has ever spent any time actually working with a knife day to day.

The sheath is terrible, the amount of play positively dangerous and a knife of this style and look should really have a kydex sheath anyway :)

Thanks for putting up the review though, obviously some folks appreciated it and if nothing else the rest are now more 'informed'. Why not humor us and review one of those tiny European knives next time :D

"As soon as your design crosses from an obvious Knife pattern to something odd and wierd shaped--all you have is something odd and wierd shaped"

Actually for me the virtue of this knife is that I don't like just plain boiled meat...I even get a bit tired of it flame roasted. I make soups and stews out in the bush and in the winter this knife's "pry-bar" design is great for digging in frozen ground when I'm digging up wild carrots and wild onions and takes up less space than my folding shovel. I wouldn't want to carry it as a primary blade however if stuck with it alone I could make it serve me well.

Also I am working with a smaller one that has a four inch blade somewhat similar to the "Bushcraft" design now. It's a little different design for me but does have some great aspects. Maybe I'll be through checking it out by this weekend. Other than it will often invlolve a sharpened piece of steel.... you never know what I am going to play with.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks, glad you enjoyed the review. I don't mind the belt loop, this one will be tucked in my pack anyway. I'm sure not worried about the blade coming through the sheath. What are your thoughts on their Ka-Bar clone, I've seen it but not held it.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif

It's one of my knives that I haven't really used so I can't do a full review. It seems to be a fairly functional tool and comes with a S&W sharpening stone in a pocket on the sheath (a la the aircrew survival knife). I imagine it was made to cash in on the "tacticool" fad (hey, I bought one) and is mass-produced in China. I got it because I didn't have a Bowie in that size, it was quite inexpensive (can't remember how much) and I was taken in by the sexy, black, tacticalness.

Claudiasboris

Hmmm. I reckon that I am still missing the point. Are you saying that because the knife is designed for prying open windows its a good bushcraft knife; or that it can be used in bushcraft inspite of being designed for prying open windows?

Why, if you believe that you may need a tool for making fire, cleaning game, preping food and making shelter, would you choose something that was meant as a sharpened pry bar? Why not choose something that is designed from the outset for cutting? If you wanted something for splitting, wouldn't it be better without the swedge so that you could use a batton on the spine more easily?

Looking back at the other knives that you have reviewed I find myself puzzled. All the latest ones are variations of "tactical" knives. Tanto points, serations, massive thickness, and thick bevels. Is the intention to show that people shouldn't discount knives designed for the military from use in bushcraft? Don't get me wrong, its not that I have anything against big knives, or anything against stuff that is popular with the military, but this stuff you are using is pure military, forced into bush use, rather than something with dual purpose designed in at the start.

Is it about cost? Doesnt' anyone make a cheap knife that looks like the BK7, BK9, Companion, RAT7, or RAT-1?

First off, I find it hilarious that most, including the designer, consider the knife in this thread as a tactical knife. I sure wouldn't want to employ it in a tactical role. When I think tactical I think more along the lines of something like this knife below, or even the BK-7

PICT0302.jpg

PICT0303.jpg

In an attempt at explaining my intentions..people have comfort zones they prefer not to leave. I know I have my preferred pieces of kit. For some being snatched out of those comfort zones is enough to cause severe distress. Distress, with it's ability to inhibit clear thought, can be a major contributor to not making it through a "survival" situation. Positive mental attitude is one of the most important pieces of kit you can have when lost or stranded in the bush. So....I guess my intentions are to open minds and empower with knowledge, and teach people to think outside the box. To show people there are other options, so that if for whatever reason they are stranded with other than their preferred pieces of kit they don't stress they just look for the available options.

Also there are many soldiers out there interested in the study of bushcraft and field craft. Often when they get the "opportunity" to practice this a tactical knife will be what they have on them at the time.

These are some of my knives. The one on the left being more like the ones I used to carry when I would spend weeks in an isolated area in Alabama along the Chattahoochee river trapping and didn't want to pack along a hatchet for two or three weeks, but also wanted something that would function in a defensive role as well. The two center ones are my primary fixed blades. The smaller bowie I have had and carried for nearly a decade of some pretty hard use in the woods. The leather handled one I bought for my daughter after after seeing and reading up on the uses of the "bushcraft" knife. The one on the right I acquired because I do like the U.K. approach to field craft and wish to study it more. This is the one I am currently working with but due to weather and wind conditions didn't get to do much with it this past weekend as I spent a lot of time clearing downed trees out of my yard.

PICT0343.jpg

PICT0339.jpg

I also recently acquired a few folders built on U.K. requirements for use and study. Two more traditional, and two more tactical. All with nail pulls and locking backs. They all feel nice and sturdy and I am looking forward to working with them more.

PICT0340.jpg

So please don't think I'm only interested in the western ways of doing things. I've learned a lot here, and I intend to learn much more. I happen to love the material I find both online here and in the two Bushcraft magazines I've gotten so far. I have ordered the other four. It's sad that there are only six of them, I enjoy them very much.

Thank you, both for your patience with my ignorance, and your willingness to read my posts. You never really know what I'll decide to play with next...I'm a naturally curious person.

Brian

Markenzed

Mar 7, 2013
NZ
Just came across this knife in the local Army Surplus Store as I liked its 'primal' looks and am bored with my "proper" BC knives; I want to play with something different.
I also like the idea of being able to use whatever you have to hand, even if all you have is the "wrong knife".
As the USMC saying goes; "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome".

FYI: The SWEXT is a Chinese copy of the very expensive TOPS Styker Defender Tool #DEFT-01.
According too TOPS it was designed by 2 experienced soldiers, one a Special Forces vet.
Green Berets spend a fair amount of time out in the field and know what knives are for.
(the field = the outdoors). It's a legit, serious design for a field knife and is not a joke.

My initial impressions of this knife is that while it is a thick and heavy little beast it seems more than capable for any basic woodcraft or hard use task you would ask of a knife when outdoors.
IMO though you need to partner it with a thinner and smaller knife for basic food prep (something like a CS Roach belly or a Victorinox Farmer if you wanted to be more daring).
My only real concern with the SWEXT is that it is almost certainly made of a low end stainless steel that will not take a razor edge (OMG whatever will I do?).
It appears to get sharp and more than strong enough for the hard use stuff I will do with it (beater knife & baton work mostly).
The sheath is rubbish too but OK for the money; it can be improved with duct tape, a few ranger bands and para cord.

I don't understand the hangup some of the responders in this (old) thread had against using "tactical" knives in the field. The USMC Field/Utility knife, the classic "KBAR" is as tactical as it gets and it has been used in the bush since it was invented decades ago (fighting = tactical).
Lots of different types of knives are used by outdoorsy types all over the world, I've even seen a bayonet being used as a sticker by a pig hunter.
Anyhow, the SWEXT is good value for money but only if you can get it cheap.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
This is very true, and I definitely would in a long term situation just to save the edge on my knife. I have encountered times out where it was best to move quickly due to weather or to reinforce the positive mental attitude of those with me.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked the review.

so you can dig a hole with this?

If so its what i'm after, knife, splitter and trowel in one.

Don't mean to make an obvious mistake, but don't you take a mini knife steel with you? I always have done, even for a pen knife, puts an edge on it in no time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE