smelling fresh

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was a "lightbulb" moment in the shower :)

Wet flannels get pretty rank after a couple of weeks - but those shower scrunchies don't. My wash kit is in a portable dog's drinking bowl with a tie top. I undo it, heat water in a billy and can wash in a bowl of hot water ;)

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
we were talking about this on the U.S.Bushcraft forum a few days back...if it's just an overnight or two days i just brush my teeth(every day) and wash my hands before a meal...if three days or longer i rub down with a hot wet wash cloth/flannel w/camp suds or unsented soap...i do'nt get to exotic,i start at the head and work down...i heat my water in a canteen cup or billy...that hot soapy washcloth makes me feel like a new man after three days plus in the field... vince g. 11B INF...

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well recently back from a week canoeing in Canada and I found taking a dip in a glacial lake at over 1,000 metres a very good way to get cleaned up. Even convinced the rest of the group to join me by saying that it didn't feel cold once you got your head under. And they believed me:lmao:. Also use a diodegradable liquid soap.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
It was a "lightbulb" moment in the shower :)

Wet flannels get pretty rank after a couple of weeks - but those shower scrunchies don't. My wash kit is in a portable dog's drinking bowl with a tie top. I undo it, heat water in a billy and can wash in a bowl of hot water ;)

I bought a brown wash scrunchie in Primark last year & used it for ages before discovering that it was some kind of hair bun making device for the ladies. :eek: Still use it in my wash bag
What's your soap recipe Red? (if its not a family secret?)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I bought a brown wash scrunchie in Primark last year & used it for ages before discovering that it was some kind of hair bun making device for the ladies. :eek: Still use it in my wash bag
What's your soap recipe Red? (if its not a family secret?)

No secrets here Jock - I make many types of soap - indeed I like to think my efforts have scrubbed the nether regions of many a hairy bushcrafter ;)

This one works well

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25733

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Those things scratch my skin to shreds if I use them often:sigh:

How on Earth do you get the flannel manky ? It gets washed, rinsed and dried every time it's used.

I have a collapsable webtex bowl. One side is marked and that means one side for the washing up and one side for washing me :)
Pertex towels and flannels dry off in no time too :)

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Those things scratch my skin to shreds if I use them often:sigh:

How on Earth do you get the flannel manky ? It gets washed, rinsed and dried every time it's used.

I have a collapsable webtex bowl. One side is marked and that means one side for the washing up and one side for washing me :)
Pertex towels and flannels dry off in no time too :)

cheers,
M

Wash, pack, leave. No time to dry a flannel. I guess they are okay in a fixed camp....but if moving around I really like the scrunchies....but I have "man skin" :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Each to their own I suppose.

I always find those scrunchies remind me of the grotty sink scourer things that used to sit full of tealeaves and food debris in the kitchen of an office I worked in.

I kind of use the flannels as often as I use my toothbrush so it never gets a chance to go sour.

cheers,
M

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I make my own biodegradeable soap with insect repellant herbs and essential oils in. Its good for hair, body and clothes. I find one of those nylon shower scrunchies is great because it doesn't absorb water. Lather it up and have at it with an invigorating scrub. Wingstoo's missus kindly bought me one in olive drab as my existing one didn't match my masculinity apparently :)

That's really interesting as I don't like to wash with soap especially when using still ponds etc. I normally just use the water and pine needle mulch but I eventually smell like my dog regardless.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Given I fill my collapsing bowl from a billy can of warm water, thats how I do it.

I work on the basis that everything we drain from our house is returned to the land (we are miles from mains drainage) and so we practice similar disciplines at home as we need to in the woods - use of degradeable cleaning products and using the soil as a soak away and bacterial resevoir. Heck we make most of our cleaning materials - from soap to toilet cleaner. Done properly, they aren't harmful to the environment, quite the reverse in fact.

Red

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Baby wipes are brilliant when water is hard to come-by. Also helps if you have to buy them in bulk every week anyways.

udamiano

On a new journey
For weekend then wet wipes serve a purpose, for a week or longer then its a strict routine, of wash and wear, large dixy's can be used to heat water and wash. on mobile camps then a bag bucket to collect water heat using kettle or whatever to hand. liquid soap and flannel. smalls can be boiled washed with either liquid soap or natural saponin soap if your out of the bought stuff. If no readily available source of water then use grey rain water off tarps and such. make sure you dry your feet fully to stop fungal infections, etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE