Small pressure cooker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
When camping, I like to fix beans for supper but I am starting to camp at modest altitudes where dry beans take many hours to cook even when pre-soaked for 12~24 hours. By modest altitudes, I'm talking about 3000~6000 feet (1,000~2,000m) not mountaineering altitudes!

What is a good pressure cooker that won't weigh too much or take up a lot of volume?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Three things come to mind.....I think you might pick your beans carefully, we make mushy peas that soak and cook in under two hours, so bound to be something suitable ?
If you hot soak the beans it greatly shortens the soaking time though. Put them in the pot and bring them up to the boil, let it boil for two or three minutes and then take the pot off the heat and cover it up. Leave it to soak. Navy beans only took two hours that way instead of overnight.
For the pressure cooker I'd say have look at Indian ladies cooking pots. I envy their choice of small pressure cookers, I really do. I don't think they're quite BS here, but any of the Indian cooking youtube channels show them often in use for small quantities. Is there an Asian (Indian/Pakistani) supermarket near you where you might have a look?

Edit...That said, I've just had a google and lo and behold, only £12 for a pressure cooker ??? here ??
I paid nearly sixty for mine)

Nisha shows one at 1:11 on this video....that's the big size, they do a much smaller one. Sort of half this size.

Our nearest hill is only 711m, I can't see me boiling beans up at Tinto tap :) but I hope you have fun :) though beans ? supper ? does that not keep you awake ?

M

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Most people who experienced that they exploded surely didn't write bad reviews afterwards.

:cigar:

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
Three things come to mind.....I think you might pick your beans carefully, we make mushy peas that soak and cook in under two hours, so bound to be something suitable ?
If you hot soak the beans it greatly shortens the soaking time though. Put them in the pot and bring them up to the boil, let it boil for two or three minutes and then take the pot off the heat and cover it up. Leave it to soak. Navy beans only took two hours that way instead of overnight.
For the pressure cooker I'd say have look at Indian ladies cooking pots. I envy their choice of small pressure cookers, I really do. I don't think they're quite BS here, but any of the Indian cooking youtube channels show them often in use for small quantities. Is there an Asian (Indian/Pakistani) supermarket near you where you might have a look?

A different bean is certainly a valid consideration but, growing up in Texas and Oklahoma, I have a strong affinity for Pinto beans, especially spicy ones with a bit of Mex/Tex-Mex spice, even better with some barbeque (real BBQ, not grilling ;)).

Navy beans, which are more common in the NorthEast USA, are probably something I should try but, my Texas roots have me pretty focused on Pintos.
Our nearest hill is only 711m, I can't see me boiling beans up at Tinto tap :) but I hope you have fun :) though beans ? supper ? does that not keep you awake ?

M

I like to spend time away for the crowds with little respect for other people or the environment so, I am more into Overlanding and Farm Shows in addition to simple camping at more remote locations like the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in addition to Overlanding in Colorado or my time in Minnesota.

A tarp or hammock with some para-cord, a light sleeping bag, a butane camping burner and some quality time away from other people is an awesome way to destress and enjoy life IMHO! Spicy Pinto beans brings back lots of good memories, I suspect like your mushy peas in your Mother's kitchen!

Good thoughts though with the peas. Next time, I think I will throw some split peas with instant mashed potatoes in my kit and give them a whirl.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@sidpost

Your camping sounds excellent :D Waking up to that view must be amazing :cool:
I hope you have many opportunities to enjoy it.

I had a quick look for quick cook Pinto beans and the sites I found said the same thing that I did about the boil up and let them soak thing. This site reckons that from starting with dried beans to being cooked to edible and tasty, would only take about two and a half hours.
Might be worth a try at home ? see if it really does work ?

Me ? I'm eyeing up that Afghan pressure cooker and thinking my wee bother would love that for Christmas......maybe :)

Reactions: sidpost

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
@sidpost

Your camping sounds excellent :D Waking up to that view must be amazing :cool:
I hope you have many opportunities to enjoy it.

Thanks! It is awesome, especially around Zion National Park where I camp as deer often come in at night to graze and greet me in the morning! Montanna "Speed Goats" (Pronghorn) are nice too but, never that close.

I had a quick look for quick cook Pinto beans and the sites I found said the same thing that I did about the boil up and let them soak thing. This site reckons that from starting with dried beans to being cooked to edible and tasty, would only take about two and a half hours.
Might be worth a try at home ? see if it really does work ?

Me ? I'm eyeing up that Afghan pressure cooker and thinking my wee bother would love that for Christmas......maybe :)

Cooking Pintos at home, which is near the Texas coast (~3 hours away), is much different than cooking them in Colorado or Minnesota. Air density due to altitude makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

For me, an overnight slow soak for Pintos is best at home but, I have also done the fast soak with great results where you do a quick boil (~2 minutes) turn the heat off and walk away for an hour which works really well for last minute pinto beans. The pressure cooker also works well at home too.

Lower air pressure/density with modest altitude really extends the cook time if not in a pressure cooker. I once simmered some Pintos at the Grand Canyon North Rim for 3 hours and they were still rock hard and I ended up eating my canned Chili! :banghead:

Being a bigger bean, Pintos are a bit tougher to cook than other beans and are more sensitive to altitude and presoak methods than something like Lentils. I tried traveling with my WMF Perfect Plus pressure cooker but, even car camping I found it to be too big and too heavy, especially for most heat sources I had access to.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know ? I preserve foods in Kilner jars all year long, and I did buy the Ball canning book from Lakeland a couple of years ago, but the height thing just did not in any way relate :)

We're on islands, with a very maritime climate and some fairly high hills. Most of us live in the fertile lowlands though, so here I'm at just about 60m above sea level, and I wasn't joking about never thinking about stewing beans up the hill.
Your plateaus (our Grampians were, once, a veeeery long time ago) are a different world entirely. Have you thought maybe about the insulated carrier box idea ? Bring the beans up to the boil, as soon as you set camp, and then put the potful into the box and set it aside until you're ready to cook ? You could do all that in the pressure cooker.

Having said all that, if making the beans is such an effort at height, why not cook them at home and bag them in mylar bags. Seal them and poach sterilise and they'll keep long enough for your trip. The term to google for information on that is

Retort canning

and it's used to make ready to eat meals. It needs forethought and care, but it will work for cooked meals and doesn't need refridgerated or frozen.

Best of luck with it :)
M

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
From some tables the boiling point of water drops to 93C at 2000m, that is really not all that much. At high base camp altitudes a proper tea temp is not attainable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE