Small leather beakers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Here we have some small leather beakers. 4" high and 3" diameter. Wax sealed and will hold most liquids.

beaker.jpg

£10 each
ONE SOLD

Accept paypal (now also via credit card but add 3.5%), cash or cheque

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
That is very cool, Bardster! I once saw a leather mug in the Jorvik viking centre, in York, but it didn't look like it'd been sealed with anything, and I was scared it might make my drinks taste beefy. :) Is it the vikings that gave you the idea, or was it common in saxon and later times, too?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
philaw said:
That is very cool, Bardster! I once saw a leather mug in the Jorvik viking centre, in York, but it didn't look like it'd been sealed with anything, and I was scared it might make my drinks taste beefy. :) Is it the vikings that gave you the idea, or was it common in saxon and later times, too?

Unfortunately leather doesn't survive very well in the acheological record. There are lots of finds of shoes, boots and scabbards but not many of drinking vessels. There is some documentary evidence though for the use of leather cups with silver rims in early Saxon times. In fact one was found in the Sutton Hoo burial. The leather costels or bottles as far as I am aware have never been found. But there is a pottery costrel in an Irish museum, from I think the 12th Century. The interesting thing about it is it has stitch marks on it as though it had been made from leather!
Another interest fact is that an Anglo-Saxon costrel maker was called a Homer :)
Bard

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Would these be ok for drinking hot liquids? Or cold liquids only? Or alternatively, what wax are they sealed with?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
match said:
Would these be ok for drinking hot liquids? Or cold liquids only? Or alternatively, what wax are they sealed with?

In answer to your questions, there aren't really any good for hot liquids. The wax or pitch melts :) They are proof against the majority of cold liquids though. Beeswax, which is what I use, seems proof against almost any cold beverage.

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
I like the look of those. I tried to get a friend one for christmas but were I looked they had sold out. Are there still any up for grabs?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE