Small folding saws

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Does anyone make a small folding saw in the sub 100g ~3" length region?

I know you can get blades like this on a Leathermans and on some Swiss army knives. But does anyone usable such small saws?

I'm looking for something that I can leave in my pocket as an EDC, for when I spot a small, but nice piece of wood when in the woods, and don't want to make a mess of it by breaking it.

J

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I often use the small saw on my leatherman or SAK farmer when I spot something on a walk. They are very useable for their size.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've got one of these in black that I picked up at a show a few years back http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_P...ign=products&gclid=CPWT3rz_rMECFSITwwoduwwAsw Really well made bit of kit, suspect you might find it cheaper if you googled around. Good for cutting an occasional thumb stick or similar. The handle is very flat which keeps the weight down and makes it very packable but wouldn't be comfortable for prolonged use.

Otherwise the sak saws are hard to beat as others have said, and a silky pocket boy for more/heavier work but while still relatively compact wouldn't meet your particular criteria although an excellent piece of kit.

Cheers, Paul

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Having recently lost my folding pruning saw (a wilkinson/fiskars cheapie) to a toolbox theft I am left with nothing between my SAK Farmer and a 30 inch Bowsaw. If Victorinox did something a little bigger than the Farmer blade they would be onto a world beater as I don't think there is anything that surpasses the little blade. I have been watching the Opinel vs Bahco vs Silky thread and have been considering what I would like to replace my pruning saw. Opinel's have it in the aesthetic stakes, and opinel knives have never let me down, Silky seem a bit on the expensive side and not too easy to obtain, so I really think it will be a folding bow saw when I can get round to it and the SAK for necessity until then. Technically you could saw through something thicker than the blade is long, but it would be hard work. I have done it before though, you just saw all round and whittle away at it, but if you see a piece of fallen wood you like and all you have is your SAK farmer, then you will go for it.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Excellent suggestions, thank you everybody. Think I may get me one of those Darlac saws, 34g and just a fraction over 8 quid. Worth a shot.

Thanks all.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
they're a wee bit heavier but i'd recommend a silky pocketboy (130mm)....

I've heard nothing but good things about the silky pocketboy, alas all of them after I bought a Bahco laplander. The reason I haven't got one is that it serves the same role as my laplander, which as I have this already, I can't justify buying another.

What I would like is a saw that is small enough to leave in my handbag, yet capable enough of cutting a walking stick. The Darlac saw suggested looks to meet this need.

Julia

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The darlac saw fits the bill perfectly, I forgot I have one somewhere and wasn't sure what they were called. Loghtweight hollow plastic handles and a very thin blade, so not very robust, but still cuts well :)

On the sak saws you can get longer saws than on the farmer model, the 111mm models have a correspondingly longer saw blade, and that together with the longer and stronger knife blade make them a surprisingly accomplished tool. I converted this one from a side lock to non-locking to make it legal edc. I forget if I tweaked the blade length a little too or not.

Cheers, Paul

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Bit late on this thread. But another suggestion is the Outdoor Edge Flip n' Zip Saw. Very small, light and very good cut.

Outdoor-Edge-FlipnZip-Saw.jpg

I've heard nothing but good things about the silky pocketboy, alas all of them after I bought a Bahco laplander. The reason I haven't got one is that it serves the same role as my laplander, which as I have this already, I can't justify buying another.

What I would like is a saw that is small enough to leave in my handbag, yet capable enough of cutting a walking stick. The Darlac saw suggested looks to meet this need.

Julia

i have some of the bigger silkys as well (+my infamous HIGHLY modified ARS pruning saw)- silkys are not cheap but well-made and you can get spare blades with different teeth sizes... . my pocketboy (they come in 130 and 170mm- i have the 130mm version ) lives in my shoulder bag and has been on one occasion used to cut through a ca. 5" cedar beam... . LET'S HOPE i"LL BE REUNITED WITH MY BELOVED TOOLS SOON!!!
my leatherman supertool comes with a sawblade as well but it's only good for about walking stick size... .

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Is it possible to buy the SAK blades separate from the knives?

I had a SAK with a saw blade once and it was truly amazing. Very stiff and strong so could cut on push as well as pull stroke. Would love to build one into a little wooden handle.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
First a pic

Knife%2520saw%2520blades.jpg

Top of pic is my old and well used Wenger SAK bought in the late '80's or early '90's. I have used that saw for several tasks, including fitting a kitchen unit for a girl I subsequently lived with for a while......;)
Next is my Leatherman Surge that uses jigsaw type blades, the original shown attached, is pretty darn cool, sharp and works on both dry and wet (live/green) timber with ease. Has not won over the heart of a lass for me yet (and don't anyone repeat that to Suzy...pretty please ) but you can swap out the blade for most jigsaw blades out there.
Below the Surge are a Bosch blade for fine work and a Makita up cut or "pull saw" type blade both are a bit thinner than the Leatherman original so while they work they tend to waggle a bit in the holder.
Next down is a Festool blade, these are made for the Festool Jigsaws and are closer in thickness to the Leatherman Original so 'waggle' is negligible ( my micrometer makes them the same thickness but it is a cheap one) These work really well (the different blade types I have used) but are a bit more expensive than the other two.
(you also have to by them by the pack of five, so expensive if unlike me you buy them for work )
Below that Festool blade is the file that fits into the blade holder, one side metal type file(as shown) the other diamond, which being detachable means your Leatherman blade can be kept sharp.
Rob.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Have now ordered the Darlac saw, at £8.35 (inc P&P), it's worth giving a go. Will post up a review once it's arrived, if there is interest.

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Top of pic is my old and well used Wenger SAK bought in the late '80's or early '90's. I have used that saw for several tasks, including fitting a kitchen unit for a girl I subsequently lived with for a while......;)

I've never thought of a penknife as a way of pulling women. Perhaps something I should rethink...

Next is my Leatherman Surge that uses jigsaw type blades, the original shown attached, is pretty darn cool, sharp and works on both dry and wet (live/green) timber with ease. Has not won over the heart of a lass for me yet (and don't anyone repeat that to Suzy...pretty please ) but you can swap out the blade for most jigsaw blades out there.
Next down is a Festool blade, these are made for the Festool Jigsaws and are closer in thickness to the Leatherman Original so 'waggle' is negligible ( my micrometer makes them the same thickness but it is a cheap one) These work really well (the different blade types I have used) but are a bit more expensive than the other two.
(you also have to by them by the pack of five, so expensive if unlike me you buy them for work )

Interesting, I've looked at the surge, but as I already own a wave, have tried to resist buying it as it would be too close to what I own. I do keep looking at the Juice CS4, being that it's EDC legal, and is reputed to have a good saw... Maybe one day.

How thick is the Festool blade? Also, which model of Festool blade do you recommend for general tree/bushcraft usage?

Cheers

Julia

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE