small 1 man cooking system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
That version won't fit, at least as is, I did try mine and it looks like it might just if you break the support leg fittings off but they are titanium welding and they might not come off cleanly.

some-one's done just that (Martyn i think?) they just grabbed the legs with a pair of pliers - quick twist and they're off... IIRC it fitted, but the metal crusader cooker took too much heat out of the burner for it to work properly... i'll try and find the thread..

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Glen - that's the trouble with just looking at pics - you can't get a good sense of scale. There's the old manufacturer's trick of showing a hand holding it, but with someone with giant hands!
Cheers for those measurements though. Thanks steve for those pics also - it was something I too was considering to to get more clearance.
What I'm gonna try to make is essentially a mini version of the 27 trangia - will look something like 2 crusader cookers bottom to bottom with the centre part cut out in a circle where the trangia drops in. Will hopefully keep the trangia off the ground and act as a windshield / wind director in the same way the standard trangia windshields do after I've gone to town with a drill. Can see lots of experimenting going on this weekend :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Firstly the Crusader cooker has a larger diameter dish at the bottom now..

Secondly, the Clickstand stoves work VERY well, and fold flat for easy storage in the bottle pouch. The 58 mug sits quite nicely inside it too. A tin foil reflector under the trangia burner makes a heck of a difference to cooking times too as it prevent heat loss to ground.

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I've had a look at those already mate. They seem perfect for the ultralightweighters....
What i don't like about it though is A. too many parts (3 sides, triangle base, bits of coathanger wire or similar to sit a mug on there, seperate windshield) and B. it doesn't do well in strong wind without a windshield. What I'd like to do is simulate the original big trangias which up to a point seemed to perform better in wind...
Now whether I manage to achieve that or not is something else entirely! One way to find out though ;)

I've done tons of research into this and tried all sorts of variations - including thinking laterally (as I can!) with existing manufactured items.

Most manufactured items are designed to do one or two things and do them well - with compromises. Hence the crusader cooker is light/ portable/ fits the mug etc - but you're limited to esbits/ greenheat gel or homemade alcohol stoves, in order for it to work with any efficiency.

The nearest I have seen to the "holy grail" of one person stove set ups is Wayland's "Morrison Hobo" stove.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20206&highlight=hobo+stove

I'm currently working on a version of it and hope to post pictures/ review soon - when the damm 10cm billy arrives!!

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
specemonkey - are you using the crusader mug there without additional wires to support it? I didn't think that could be done.
And how do you find it in stronger winds? If it works well I might be persuaded to save myself a lot of trouble! :)

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I have to admit Wayland has one hell of a stove :D Really has catered for every scenario! I'm waiting for a couple things to arrive too. Can guarantee that they'll all come first thing monday morning when I've got a full week of work ahead of me!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Nope- the mug just sits in the clickstand. If you see the way I have done it, the mug is quite stable. I have used them in many conditions and been fine. I usually find some shelter to cook in as I don't like lying still in high winds anyway. Bad for the body temperature I find.. ;)
If it is windy I use my kit to make a windbreak anyway.

Assembly is quick and easy too.

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I make all kinds of alcohol stoves i got them to work in esbit stoves. Now on them crusader just get some fiberglass wick fill the circle one coil it should hold 1 oz. alcohol 2 coils more but on this type of wick 1/2 oz will burn 7 to 8 min. and boil that cup real good with cover. Also you can get the wick that used on a wood stove door about 3/8 round.I think 2 rounds in crusader will work ok.household insulation will work in it also. There is two ways to use it just open or if you can find the right size jar lid the goes on tight put a 3/8 in. not to big hole in middle. And 4 1/4 in. holes a round the top by outside edge

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great thread.

I guess we're all still looking for the solo stove/cookset Nirvana. I'd add a few points:

Consider a large titanium mug over a crusader. Alpkit used to do one cheap. They come with lid.

Stability can be an issue, and the military and civilian trangias score highly here.

I cannot recommend the Vargo triad XE. It looks great, is beautifully made, weighs nowt - but I find it hopelessly temperamental.

The coke can stoves cannot be beaten for weight. I suspect some versions are better than others. I have had mixed results, but surveys of Appalachian trail hikers suggest they are reliable.

I think alcohol is a great fuel - it's cheap, readily available, disinfects hands, and for the average few days trip for brews/boil in bag it is pretty lightweight. Perhaps less good for long trips or melting snow.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I guess we're all still looking for the solo stove/cookset Nirvana. I'd add a few points:

Consider a large titanium mug over a crusader. Alpkit used to do one cheap. They come with lid.

With the handles folded in they make a nice gentle friction fit in the Wayland hobo stove should anyone want to go that route.

I've had sucess making an improvised removable hanger, for the Alpkit mug using a couple of oversize paper clips and some wire ( wouldn't expect the clips to last too many heat cycles ) and this does mean the lid won't fit on nicely while used that way but it only gets used that way on open fires where conserving every last bit of fuel isn't usually an issue.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
That version won't fit, at least as is, I did try mine and it looks like it might just if you break the support leg fittings off but they are titanium welding and they might not come off cleanly.

They do come off cleanly, just grip them close up to the burner and give a sharp twist and they pop right off. The burner also fits just about perfectly inside the crusaders fuel well. However, the vargo is a staggeringly awful stove.

triad03.jpg

triad01.jpg

So, yes if fits, been there done that - dont bother. Shame really, it looks like the perfect solution doesnt it? If it was made of brass, with a large fill hole and some sort of wing-bolt or something to seal and pressurise the stove, it might actually work. But the vargo stove is useless. I actually got better boil times with less meths, by just pouring the fuel into the well and lighting it.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Wow, I'm away for a day and come back to find posting galore!
At least we know with the Triad now then...
I've thought about forgeting the crusader mug and getting a Ti mug and a stove that goes well with that. I do like having everything organised in either one PLCE pouch or my rucksack pocket (roughly the same sized) though. I figure if the space is there I might as well use it...
It might yet happen. The crusader cooker and mug after all do come to a bit of weight, even if they are bombproof. Ti mug and clikstand... Ti mug, westwind and MSR windshield... So many options!
Current plan is still to have a go designing a mini trangia-style windshield and burner holder over the weekend. Alu tape came in the post today (had run out) which'll make it easier for shaping it and testing the effectiveness of oxygen holes in the bottom.
Will post the results afterwards

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE