smörkniv - laburnum splinter with baked walnut oil finish.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Had a bit of time on my hands and this little splinter of laburnum. The piece looked like a rasher of back bacon in the rough, but the grain and the rays were just too nice to throw it away.

So now its a butter knife with a baked-in walnut oil finish. I know that technically laburnum is poisonous but it has never affected me, and the finish should help with that.

20934751841_a7aa8088d5_k.jpg

20917655752_81bc9f1dc9_k.jpg

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A bacon knife, very Arthur Dent. :D
That's a lovely bit of work. You'll be making some great sandwiches with that.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I read (Farrar) that the seeds/fruits are the most toxic. I don't want to pee on your parade but the oil finish may draw out more toxin than you expect.
However, I gotta love the form = elegant workmanship. Letter opener for those who still comprehend snail-mail?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I read (Farrar) that the seeds/fruits are the most toxic. I don't want to pee on your parade but the oil finish may draw out more toxin than you expect.
However, I gotta love the form = elegant workmanship. Letter opener for those who still comprehend snail-mail?

Evidently the poison is water soluble, but as you say concentrated in the seeds, fruit and leaves. I think you would have to suck on a large piece of the raw wood for a long time to get any kind of dangerous hit out of it. Let alone a well sealed thin flexible piece such as in this item. I won't be worrying about it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Evidently the poison is water soluble, but as you say concentrated in the seeds, fruit and leaves. I think you would have to suck on a large piece of the raw wood for a long time to get any kind of dangerous hit out of it. Let alone a well sealed thin flexible piece such as in this item. I won't be worrying about it.

And neither would I be worried about it; I wouldn't hesitate to use it to eat with. Once you use a drying oil finish and apply it properly, there's not much to worry about. I've eaten with Yew and all sorts of wood and never come to any harm so long as they're sealed and kept properly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE