Sloes...where are they?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Went sloe hunting last weekend and my favourite spots were almost devoid of them. I'm sure they were plentiful in the same area this time last year. Anyone noticed how quickly they've gone over? And you're supposed to
wait for the first frosts, ha!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You can't walk three feet without seeing a sloe or bullace or other fruit around here! They've been on the way out for a while and I did pick mine a while back but some are still useable and not too far gone :).

Last edited:

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Only ones round here are nestling in a jar full of gin. Picked them back in mid-September. They were early this year in this part of the world.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I did see lots in the Berwyn hills a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they've gone in the warmer parts of the country.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I remember years ago waiting for the first frost only to find the birds hadn't.

I harvested start of September this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The frost is supposed to make them less bitter. Yes, freezers will do the job.

I got enough for my needs - just!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It is entirely possible that a late spring frost has locally killed off the flowers = no fruit now.

We had a hard "frost strike" in the valley bottom, 3 nights of -7C/20F back on June 4,5,6.
75% loss of grapes for me, my neighbor to the one side found 1 pear, not dozens.
The neighbor to the other side got 3 apples. All my apples had frost scab bands around the middles.

EatWeeds

Nov 18, 2008
Devon
www.eatweeds.co.uk
I can confirm that freezing fruits like sloes, bullace, rowan, rosehips etc. works similar to the first frost. The freezing breaks down the cell walls, which means more juice, as well as sweetening them. Try a non frozen sloe and one that has been frozen and you'll see what I mean. Bullace was extraordinary after freezing. I never use these fruits unless I have frozen them first.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE