Sloe Whisky. has anyone tried it.?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
And another thought... tesco value gin as a basis for sloe gin:- done right its better than gordons sloe gin, and a few ive sampled at fairs ,shows etc
if its the season already ill have to go collecting off the local blackthorns

amended sig., " theres no bore like a whisky bore"

Last edited:

Sideburnt

Apr 7, 2011
Leeds
Probably the best infusion I have ever made was with sipping whisky and blueberries. It beat the Sloe Gin and Elederberry Rum by a clear mile.

Make it, its ambrosia.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've been picking my sloes for three weeks, the last lot were just shy of rotting on the branch. last year I hadn't even started and they were all rock hard. All my Local wild fruit is early for some reason this year.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thats another job for the weekend then, usually wait until at least late Sept-early Oct before even thinking about them a little before the traditional "first frost" people talk of.
Even last year many were still too hard for me to want to take.

vogelport

Sep 15, 2011
dumfries
YES!

Just been to harvest a sloe bush I noticed yesterday and found a huge bush of Damsons right next to it! so the whiskey is now a Damson whiskey. Will save it for Bonfire night. :)

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
YES!

Just been to harvest a sloe bush I noticed yesterday and found a huge bush of Damsons right next to it! so the whiskey is now a Damson whiskey. Will save it for Bonfire night.
Result!

I picked my sloes this morning. Another week or two probably wouldn't have harmed them, but I think they were ready; and the tree was OVERLOADED with them!

vogelport

Sep 15, 2011
dumfries
Its definately early this year, some of the damsons had gone over a little, though most were fine. I've notcied blackberries are hopeless this year and elderberries are not so good either.

Result!

I picked my sloes this morning. Another week or two probably wouldn't have harmed them, but I think they were ready; and the tree was OVERLOADED with them!

GAmbler

Sep 25, 2011
Cardiff
Sorry if I'm slightly off topic;being a newby, it's my first posting...

I have my sloes, picked from a well-laden bush -- I agree with a few previous comments, they do seem ealier than usual this year but all the other bushes I have seen in the Wenallt area are equally loaded.

The main reason for my visit to this forum was to enquire if "Sloe Whisky" is a goer. From the postins I've read it seem the answer is YES. (The reason for my enquiry is that I have more [decent] whisky than very decent 47.3% gin.

Can I assume that many other things -- "rubbish in = rubbish out" ?

Thank you for any answers that are forthcoming.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) Welcome to BcUK :D

Ehmm, well, not really it seems.
I know folks who used the cheapest discount store gin or whisky they could find and it worked well.
Tbh, and I admit I'm biased, I think the alcohol potency matters, that the sugar you use (and the quantity) can totally mellow the taste, and any spices you add make it individually 'your' recipe :)

I don't think I've tasted a bad batch yet; but that said, one friend makes it so full of sugar that it sticks lips to the glass, waaaay too sweet for me, but I find the Gordon's or (cannae mind the make right now) far too dry and ginny, or shiveringly 'whisky'.

Each to their own :) best advice is probably just to give it a try. You can always make small portions of assorted recipes and try them out for yourself.

cheers,
Toddy

Glyn

Well, thanks to reading this thread (and a few others...), I am now skint but have in the kitchen...
A large bottle of Sloe Whisky
Several bottles of Sloe Gin
A bottle of Hawthorn Vodka
and (as of last night) a bottle of Rosehip Vodka

SWMBO has purchased a quantity of swing lid bottles and jam jars and spent yesterday evening and this morning making apple, haw, sloe and rosehip jelly.
At least that's most of our Christmas pressies out of the way, with a few bottles and jars for a fruity festive time. Hic!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE