Sloe Whisky. has anyone tried it.?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Been to our local food festival today loads a good stuff at all the stalls.

Slow Whisky caught me eye, I havent heard of this one but wondered if anyone on here had. Before the purists start saying its an abomination lol it wasnt made with a good malt so I was told but rather a blend form a scottish micro disillery.

Anyway having made Sloe vodka and gin last year. and Plum vodka and Gin this year I thought I might have a crack at this. Does anyone have any tried and tested recipes for it,
the reason I liked it was you could still get the warmth and the undertones of the whisky but could get the fruit hit too.

cheers

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eds brought some up to Loch Tay a couple of winters ago, and it was lovely :approve: So I made some last year and it was really, really good. So much so that I've got sloe whisky getting made already and I haven't started the sloes in the gin yet :D

cheers,
Toddy

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
no sloe fopr me this year - no time. I have to some sloe whisky left. Make it the same way as sloe gin but with a little less sugar and add a couple of clove and a small piece of cinnamon bark.

Another one that worked really well is to use even less sugar but a the juice form 2 fresh oranges per bottle. Very good if you have a cold. Like what I've got now - except I'm on call out for work, so no drinks for me today.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
The cloves or cinnamon sounds nice. What recipe do you use Toddy?

My Gin and Vodka ones are simple eg:-

empty half the alcohol out fill up with sloes to just below the neck and then top up with sugar until the fluid is near the top simple would this work with whisky?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's pretty much what I do too, except I use soft brown sugar and I add a couple of tablespoonsful of the syrup that comes in the jar with the stem ginger.

It's one of life's occasional pleasurable sipping drinks :approve:

I fancy Eds orangey one though :cool: Might have a try at that one.

cheers,
M

oops; cross post............ I just used Grouse. It seemed to go down fine.

cheers,
M

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lol Virus many would be offended if you used a malt!!

I have some antiquary that was bought for me as a gift so I may use that.

I will let you know if I find any other recipes.

Andy

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
I remember Toddys Sloe Whiskey from New Year....it was really really, really really good!!!! Well what I remember of that night...or was it the night before we all had a weeee bit tooooooooo much...lol...can't remember...was a great few days!

Toddy....you still got something up your sleeve for this New year?

Vince

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I just used Grouse. It seemed to go down fine.
That makes sense; Grouse is a pretty "inoffensive" blend and I tend to use it myself when adding mixers (rather than, ahem, Bells which I find a bit "aggressive").

I won't be adding sloes to my favourite Cardhu though (yeah, I'm not into smokey whiskies).

Hmm...
...we've got a rather large bottle of Bells given to us as a thankyou for helping someone out of a jam (don't think they knew much about whiskey... well, that or we offended them somehow).

Would it be better to leave it right where it is (unopened) and get some Grouse or similar instead? I'd hate to waste good sloes on some nasty whiskey if something different would make for a much nicer drink.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bell's isn't nasty, it's just a definite *taste*.
Grouse, and I'm kind of reliably informed, the cheap supermarket blends, are kind of not throat grippingly *Whisky! :eek: *........well the Lidl's one my friendly neighbourhood poacher used anyway :)

Did Eds say which one he used ? His was the first I'd tasted and it was lovely :approve:

cheers,
M

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Ive got a bottle of netto firewater kicking around somewhere. Bought for a friend who thinks he knows all about malt and then when he gets successive glasses of the same whisky he can tell all the diffrent tastes and subtle differences between them.

Its only done in fun but its so funny to watch as we quaff our nice tasty malts.

So might use the netto one!!

Cruel! Haha!

Could it be that Netto Firewater is actually a really complex malt that genuinely does taste different in each glass as your pallete becomes used to some of the flavours and notices new ones?

;)

Toddy. I sense another test coming on if I can get enough sloes together... I'm going to be bankrupting myself with Le Parfait jars at this rate though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Why are you using jars ? :confused:
I just use bottles :dunno:
Just make sure the sloes will go in and out of the neck easily and it should be fine.
Easier to give the bottles a good shake fairly regularly too :cool:

cheers,
M

vogelport

Sep 15, 2011
dumfries
Just made my very first batch of sloe vodka and I cannot wait to try it.

I had a little look in the booze cupboard and i still have a half bottle of glenfiddich 12 yr old malt.... Now i know the mere thought is probably punishable by death but i think i am going to make a sloe whiskey from it. I can only justify that by saying i drank the other half of the bottle during my 'whisky' phase last year and i haven't touched it since, and probably wont.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
lidls cheapo whisky is it "queen margot?" aint a bad blend would probably be a good basis for a sloe build. tescos own value is nicer than the one they do a grade above it but the grade above is blander so might be the biz for this application.occasionally aldi/ lidl do offers on unknown to me brands of irish whiskey ? maybe rye based?
they may be contenders for this application too as they are often quite "light"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE