Sloe gin

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Just tucking in to my first glass of home made sloe gin.
Rather yum if I do say so myself.

Just Gordon's gin as the base. Not quite as syrupy as I expected but still good.
Anyone else cracked open theirs yet?

Andy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't do much gin (it doesn't like me) but have done many types of fruit spirit tinctures over the years - blackberry brandy and bulace vodka are amongst my favourites. White sugar should never go in them either!

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
It’s great to taste the pleasures of the last harvest, I do a few bottles myself, some I use as gifts for farmers in return for shooting permissions granted, I also love making hedgerow wines and am quaffing some Elderflower as I write.
Enjoy, and make more next time
Cheers
Bill

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I've made a few bottles of sloe gin in my life - don't like gin myself but my good lady loves it. I don't know if it is strictly traditional but I have always added some lightly bruised almonds to the mix and apparently it adds a little je ne sais pas.

I do like the sound of British Red's blackberry brandy though. I think I will have to give that a bash this year.

On a slightly more seasonal note, I have heard tell of drink made from fresh beech leaves which gives a vivid green concoction - anybody know anything about that?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't do much gin (it doesn't like me) but have done many types of fruit spirit tinctures over the years - blackberry brandy and bulace vodka are amongst my favourites. White sugar should never go in them either!

Nothing wrong with using white sugar, granulated or caster is fine.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
On a slightly more seasonal note, I have heard tell of drink made from fresh beech leaves which gives a vivid green concoction - anybody know anything about that?
Google beech leaf noyau, and now is roughly the right time to pick the tender leaves, of the beech tree

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Anyone else cracked open theirs yet? Andy

Personally I think it's vintage if it lasts the first week, one bottle normally makes it round to Christmas.
It was a very poor year round here last year and I only managed to get enough berries for about one or two bottles.
I have always used the very cheapest gin, white sugar and the only other thing I normally add apart from the sloes are some fresh Juniper berries straight off the bush.

But I admire your restraint all the same Andy, good health and enjoy.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE