Sloe Gin "recycling"

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hi Folk,

I thought I would pass on this tip, given to me by one of the pickers-up on my local shoot.

I suspect a good many on here have made or are making sloe gin.
When you get around to decanting the licker, don't throw those sloes away. Simply pour a bottle of vodka in with them, add a bit more sugar, my man said a pound, but he seems to have a sweet tooth, I used 8 ounces, and leave it all to steep for another 6 to 12 months to make a vodka liquer too.

After this he then reckons to stone the sloes, spread them on a tray and cover with melted chocolate to make a nice nibble too.

I'm looking forward to trying the resulting drink myself in a few months.

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Interesting.
I know the chocolate trick and also an apple and sloe pie - which is incredilble btw.
But not to re soak them again in something else...

Have to try that

Cheers

Mark

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
With the sloes once used in either gin or Vodka, if you have cheap red wine use the them in this and it really perks it up and the ultimate for me is in cider and create "Slider" and that gives an extra special kick!!!!!!:beerchug

Damascus said:
With the sloes once used in either gin or Vodka, if you have cheap red wine use the them in this and it really perks it up and the ultimate for me is in cider and create "Slider" and that gives an extra special kick!!!!!!:beerchug

im waiting to try a Slider mix with my current batch do you have ruff Qtys recipe etc ????

Mum just makes Jam with em :eek:

ATB

Duncan

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
To make slider, just use sloes from either vodka or gin. I use a sweet cider as the berries can be a bit tart still and thats it (Make sure its proper cider not sparkling like strongbow)

Leave for a couple of months (I know thats the hard bit) decant the drink and away you go, don't throw the berries use them in cakes, less the stone or make a sauce to put on cheese cake which is my favorite.

Hope thats of some help. :lmao:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
FGYT said:
:lmao: any Qty recomendations :lmao:

was going to use local Cider you know flat and you cant see thru it :D :D

ATB

Duncan
scrumpy works very well, I've a couple of litres slowly changing colour :1244: summer can't come quick enough

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
FGYT said:
oks oks

best qty ie 1lb of used sloes to 1gallon of cider ??????????

i know any combination will have an effect but any idea of a best ratio

Half a pint of used sloe into 2 pints strong cider. (Expect a big increase in alcohol content) leave for 2 months minimum. I’m going to leave mine until the Moot, :)
use real cider, and not Commercial fizz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE