Slippery Jack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
No good photos i'm afraid but had my first successful mushroom foray of the year. Things start slowly up here in the north of scotland but the prize of the day had to be a nice clump of Slippery Jacks. Nearby we also found some lovely Dryads Saddle, the eyelash cup fungi, pigs ear cup fungi, some wolfs blood, a solitary chantrelle and a few slime moulds we are yet to ID.

Things should be kicking off soon now we are into July so hoping to improve my knowledge this year, especially with my latin names which I struggle with.

I do feel a little jealous of the posters on here whom have already gotten some great looking chicken of the woods and giant puffballs, these are quite rare in the next of the woods.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Slippery Jack is a nice fungus, but I always have trouble turing it into anything worth eating, as it is so slimy and tends to go mushy. Would be interested to learn what you do with yours.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I like the mushroom crisps idea! I did that with a glut of Boletus edulis last year (delicious!), but never thought to do that with the jacks - I always find 100's of 'em and am never really sure with what to do with them. I usually leave them as I can find many other (in my opinion) tastier shrooms.

Previously I've included them with other shrooms in a soup, and bunged them in stews but their slimy nature always seeps through, no matter how clean of caps and pores they are!. Maybe these might lend well to the 'coat in egg, breadcrums and deep fry' method.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE