Sleeping Pod?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Doing my usual daily browsing on the bay and came across an item such as this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150749502731?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_1696wt_1199

From what I can see these aren't meant as a singular means of shelter but they intrigue me as something that can be used in conjunction with a tarp if you are not interested in using a hammock.

Has anyone ever used or come across these before that can share their experiences?

Thanks in advance

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can see that being handy in the warmer months, especially when taking the dog with me as i cant get her in a hammock...
Looking forward to any experience or a review..

Lot's of experience with something very similar...

It looks like it's based around the US Army camp cot - which the British Army eventually got around to buying as they were so popular (I can still remember that you could swap one for a 24 hour ration pack, when on joint ops with the US - as their rat packs were dire!).

When I first went to Afghanistan in 2006, the 2nd line, or base camp accommodation was 12x12 canvas tents sleeping eight men in these pod type affairs. The idea being that the cots are reasonably comfortable (with a mat - the cots have the same insulation problems as a hammock) and the pod afforded some privacy, as well as protection against the creepy crawlies.

Note...a base camp set up...no infantryman alive would lug that around with him - they're already loaded like pack mules in 50+ degrees. So, not an item for the hikers - or even the amblers, I would suggest. It's an interesting option for car camping though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE