Sleeping on Concrete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
A couple of miles from where I live there's an old RAF radar station left over from the Cold War, and on average I will sleep out there about once a week, fire up the old hobo stove and sit puffing a pipe and watch the stars.
All very nice - and handy - the headland is a windy place, and I hate tents. But I'm of a certain age now, and the last time I slept there on the concrete floor of the pillbox - for want of a better word - my back killed me for a week afterwards. It was a fine, sharp night with a heavy frost, but I never felt cold - I use a British Army arctic bag, and I was toasty. Under me I had a karrimat and a Gelert Xtreme Lite self inflating mattress.
I've used this system for some time now with no problems - cold is definitely not an issue. So I was wondering if anybody had pointers about spending a comfortable night on concrete....

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
sounds like you just need more air beneath you. For me exped are the gold standard but not cheap. Alpkit dirtbag have a following too and are cheaper. sure outdoordude uses one and likes his.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The big Alpkit mats are a great buy, I have a couple of the older Fat Airics which are more or less the same.

The Polish army mats look interesting but you don't want to be trying to pack one

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
There was a post here recently where a guy collected local branches and put together a makeshift bed, is there enough dead fauna around to do something like that.

Concrete is a nightmare to sleep on, to be honest i'd sooner sleep outside on the ground rather than inside on concrete, if it's not raining.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Maybe it is not the cold concrete, but the fact that it is hard and dead flat... Perhaps what you need is something that is more contoured to your body shape, or rather that can flex enough to fit to your body shape.

That makes me think that a thick (100mm - 150mm) air mattress or maybe even a wire and canvas camp bed might be what you need.

I'd be tempted to go with the camp bed. Probably a little bit heavier, but about the same volume when packed, and you won't need to spend half an hour blowing into it to get it ready.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
The pillbox is on a bare, windswept headland with no trees for miles. I usually sleep in it in winter as the last time a pitched a tent there in January the wind ripped the tent pegs out of the ground! Been thinking about a camp bed, I'll admit - I have an old army one which would do the trick, it's just the weight and bulk of it puts me off - though it's only a couple of miles from the house, it's a rough, rocky hike to the pillbox.

Damn, I should just admit it - I'm getting old!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The pillbox is on a bare, windswept headland with no trees for miles. I usually sleep in it in winter as the last time a pitched a tent there in January the wind ripped the tent pegs out of the ground! Been thinking about a camp bed, I'll admit - I have an old army one which would do the trick, it's just the weight and bulk of it puts me off - though it's only a couple of miles from the house, it's a rough, rocky hike to the pillbox.

Damn, I should just admit it - I'm getting old!

Fit some eye bolts in the pillbox walls and hamock it.:cool:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
What you want is an alpkit dozed or dirtbag. The dirtbag is portable but not as thick. The dozed is 7cm thick but weighs about 2kg. Depends on how far your walking. They will give you a far superior kip to the average thermarest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE