Sleeping mats/winter gear

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Yello chaps!

Right, well seeing as I won't be popping over to Norway this winter due to a lack of funds/experience, I am hoping that I will make it out at least once or twice during the colder months, but confined to our own lovely shores.

As yet, I have zero experience in cold weather camping, hence why I'll be popping out when others from this fine forum will be there, namely those going to Drew's birthday bash at Middlewood in December. What I also lack is much gear. I have a bivi bag, two sleeping bags if an extra is needed, a ground sheet and a tarp. If you can tell, I'm hoping to bivi it. What I'm lacking is a sleeping mat and some cold weather clothing. The clothing I can handle in terms of price and availabilty, but mat is a bit of an issue.

I've had my eye on the multimat self inflator Woodlore sell for £50, but its still a bit steep for me in price. Really this a call out to ask if anyone a) can inform me as to things i should add to my shelter/sleep system, and b) has a spare high quality sleeping mat they might be willing to part with?

Cheers guys,

Matt

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thermarest ridge rests are very good for the cold, R-value of 2.9 or thereabouts. Not too pricey, very comfy for CCF and won't puncture.

This and Southeys posted mats will augment another less warm mat very well.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Last edited:

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I'd recommend alpkit's dirt bag, great mat. When it gets cold I add a sheet of reflectix (thermawrap) to increase the R value, which also doubles up as a sit mat.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
The Alpkit Dirtbag seems fantastic, if it wasnt for its large pack size. Good price too. The multimat packs up small and is stated to be a 4 season mat down to -15. That and its tiny when rolled too. Its kinda winning me over so far. I am also considering getting a foil mat, like the ridgerest, but almost a blanket. What dya think? Wool blanket sounds good too. Any suggestions on where to get a quality one?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Alpkit Dirtbag seems fantastic, if it wasnt for its large pack size. Good price too. The multimat packs up small and is stated to be a 4 season mat down to -15. That and its tiny when rolled too. Its kinda winning me over so far. I am also considering getting a foil mat, like the ridgerest, but almost a blanket. What dya think? Wool blanket sounds good too. Any suggestions on where to get a quality one?

The Dutch officers blanket is the beast to go for, Kev at Endicotts usually has them in. They're thick and toasty, huge too so you get plenty to play with/chop up for other stuff

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I have a multimat compact trekker 25 for field use. I used it this weekend when it was really going for it on Sennybridge and I was completely fine. For the price I was very impressed indeed and it packs well too!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Dutch issue, as above link ( great minds Paul! )
Ring Kev at Endys.
Used mine on my last to Arctic trip. ( pop it inside your bivi bag )
Above ideas by other learned BcUK'ers all make good sense, however the Dutch cc mat is a bomb proof, cheap option.
Best.
Chris.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent

I don know what you call small pack size. I think the alpkit gives excellent size to comfort ratio. I'd say it doesn't matter too much about size if its going on the out side of the pack. Just my two pence. :)

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
I don know what you call small pack size. I think the alpkit gives excellent size to comfort ratio. I'd say it doesn't matter too much about size if its going on the out side of the pack. Just my two pence. :)
I quite agree plus you can fold the mat inhalf and roll it up or just line the inside of your Bergan with it. I always think that comfort is an important part of the sleep equation. I had many a night on a roll mat in my army days and know which I prefer, the old saying of why slum it when you can live like a king, springs to mind. Rough it when you have to, but take comfort when you can, as ultimately it makes you more efficient and alert. Just a thought!

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Right, so I have bought myself a Dutch army blanket from Endicotts, and will be buying myself a reflective sleeping mat (A thin one, nothing padded) later this evening. I already own a clased cell foam mat that I'll strap to the outside of my bag as a just in case. My final dilemma is chooisng between the Alpkit Dirtbag for £40 or the Multimat Adventure Superlite 25 for £50. The Dirtbag is thicker and probably better for colder weather, although it has no details on temperature ranges or R-values (whatever the hell those things mean; higher is better right?). The Adventure Superlite 25 is both lighter and smaller when packed, but although it says it is good down to -15, a 2.5cm mat with diamond shaped holes in the foam makes me skeptical, especially since I cant seem to find any reviews of it in cold weather. Any help?

My sleeping system so far (From ground up):

Highlander rflective blanket
Clas Ohlson foam mat (naff, but light, and hey, it's an extra layer)
Alpkit Dirtbag/Multimat Adventure Superlite 25
Mountain Warehouse Microlite 700 Sleeping bag (250gsm x2 as far as I can remember, and 3 season)
Go Outdoors Hi Gear Horizon Sleeping bag (300gsm, but 2 season)
Fleece blanket (Tescos)
Dutch army blanket (Endicotts)
Alpkit Hunka XL

Is that all good? Anything I blatantly dont need? I might not use all of these things, but I'd like to be sure for my first CCF (what does this mean anyway?).

Cheers guys

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE