Sleeping mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Hi there I'm looking for advice on a sleeping mat . I have £30 to £40 pound to spend on one . I'm after something self inflating in green drown grey or black ..no bright colours lol..I've been looking at the army one on eBay they seem to fetch 35 pound wich think is good price for them but I've seen people say they had problems with them getting big bubbles in them.is this a certain type or are all the army ones prone to this . I have seen acouple of self inflating from the 3/4 British one the NATO French approved one the highlander one there's quiet acouple but I'm not sure wich one is the one with the bubble problem...I'm not in no rush for one as it won't be for acouple of weeks as I have other stuff needing first...

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
Cheers for that..I have had a look at them on eBay ..I've also had a look at the multi mat adventure 25 and the multi at Trekker 25

Has anyone any experience with either of the multi mats ..

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Navek,

Re the British (or any similar) self inflating mat - I've been using them for decades, as far as compactness/pack-size/weigth-v-performance (and price!) goes they probably score reasonably well against any other mats, however:
1. Don't expect to put one down on it's own on cold/wet ground and not feel the effects, try and get as much natural material for additional insulation beneath the mat as you can. I use a large emergency bivvy bag to hold natural material together (or build a ditch mattress if feasible).
2. Don't expect it not to suffer punctures if you don't clear your sleeping platz of sharp/gnarly items before you put your weight on it. (seek out one of my posts on ground insulation mat repair for an upgrade that has for me proven well worth it). I use an ex German Army sold foam mat in conjunction with it.
3. As Philster comments - avoid over inflating them (a couple of breaths should be enough) or the outer will separate from the inner foam matrix.
4. Avoid over-tightening the valve as the body may come unstuck, rotate in the holder and leak.

Sleep well!:)

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
The Trekker 25 or the adventure 25 ?

The Trekker is heavier but rectangular and the Adventure is mummy shaped. The Trekker is more in your price range as well.

Also mummy shaped and lighter again but probably more than you want to pay is the Superlight 25, like mine a lot.

knifeman

Forager
May 27, 2015
england
I don't have an Aldi mat myself but I have slept on a friend's and found it very comfortable. I think I'll pick one up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup used one all last year but trashed it by my own stupidity.
Not light and a bit bulky (no figures available but the bulk is like a standard foam kip mat - 5cm thick when inflated) and no carry sack.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Trekker 25 or the adventure 25 ?

I'd seriously consider upping the thickness a bit. If weight is a problem, then the Adventurer 38. Though I rated the Trekker 25 as better than the Alpkit offerings (at the time, I think they've changed their foam now), it was a little on the thin side. When mine got its first hole, which will happen, it was an uncomfortable night.

Pack it right in the middle of your pack, surrounded by stuff. Not in a roll mounted atop your rucksack like muggins here. :p

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Highlander Base S Self Inflating Sleeping Mat

very much like the army issue one and only about 20 quid

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE