Sleeping bag v Quilt in Hammocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I went camping on the shore of Derwentwater last night, and as I don't have an underblanket or quilt for my hammock, I used my usual karrimat / sleeping bag combo.

IMGP1006.jpg

Apart from getting cold feet (because I forgot to take some dry socks in the rush to get out after work), I stayed warm because I was in a sleeping bag with a hood that I was able to cinch down as the temperature dropped well below freezing. How do people with those Snugpac quilts cope in situations like that?
All in all though, I had an excellent night out. I was woken up this morning by a deer running past my camp, and the first thing I saw was this:

IMGP0992.jpg

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The combination of underblanket and quilt works well in sub-zero conditions, the quilt has a foot-bucket and wings that mean your feet stay warm and you can tuck the sides under you for extra warmth. The underblanket means that you have no (or minimal) heat loss from below. I used this combo in temps below zero up in Glen Coe in the first week of the year, it snowed, rained and blew a gale and still I was warm enough to sleep only in my base-layer. I did have a pair or dry socks on tho' :D

Edit - Oh and I wear a warm beanie hat if it's going to be cold, though the quilt can be so warm that I have to take that off to avoid getting too sweaty.

Wowee I love those photo's...

A wee tip to keep warmer in your hammock when canoeing...set your hammock up quite a bit higher than the water. I've often hammocked next to water but the temperature difference from 50meters up a slope compared to the waters edge is huge. It's much warmer away from the water.

I use a MK2 arctic bag with a central zip and unzip it and use it like a quilt with a built in foot bucket and it's toasty in the hammock with an underquilt.

WS

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
I was wearing a hat too, but I had to cinch the hood up when I started to get face-freeze.

I usually camp on St Herbert's Island, but by the time time I was away last night (well past dark) there were three or four parties on there, so I kept on going to the end of the lake. I know that it's better to camp a bit higher than a body of water, but I was on the one little headland that's not crossed by the busy lakeside footpath, and I wanted to see the stars at night and that view when I woke up.

Is there anyone else on this forum that doesn't have a problem with putting a sleeping mat in a hammock? I've found that as long as the mat's big enough, it won't slide about. I also like the versatility offered by the bag/mat combo, just in case there aren't any suitable trees for the hammock.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Never had a mat slide out on me, occasionally I find my 3/4 length slips down a bit and exposes my shoulders a little, but that's the worst I've had.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Cracking piccies.

I don't have a problem with a mat in my DD, the 2 layers seem to hold it fine for me adding velcro would make the problem go away. The trick may be not to inflate it too much, you don't want it to keep you off the rocks, just act as another layer of insulation.

When going out and not knowing where I'll be sleeping or what the chances are of some suitable trees then I'll take my tarp, sleeping bag, hammock, mat and bivvy bag. The bivvy wraps round the mat and keeps it dry and it's not too heavy and extra load to carry. Covered for all eventualities!

Cheers,

Alan

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Never had a mat slide out on me, occasionally I find my 3/4 length slips down a bit and exposes my shoulders a little, but that's the worst I've had.

I've had similar experiences. When I first started using the hammock, I used a small mat because I thought it would stay in place better. In the end, I found that my full length and width army surplus mat afforded the best night's sleep, both on and off the ground.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I find a mat just isn't wide enough. Or at least, my ProLite 3 isn't... Especially as I tend to squirm around a lot before I get settled.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I've used a full length Thermarest in my magikelly special. I found (at the chrstmas moot 2006) that this when semi-inflated was warm enough under the sleeping bag - even when the temp went below freezing. And because it was not fully inflated, it curved around my body a bit and was very comfy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice shots Michael, that looks a great spot.

What a view to wake up to too.

When are you going again ???

Rich

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
First off....top pics matey!....love the colours on those hills....:)
When out in the early year...I takes the lot!.....sleepin' bag thermarest an' me bivi.......I puts the therma in me bivi an' me sleepin' bag go's on top o' it......then I gets it all in me hammock.(hen'sy). point bein' that I don't have the lot slidin' about, cos it's all inside the biv.....plus just rolls the lot up in the morn (after airin').....lashes it t' me berg....an' offski t' parts new...lol.
Perchance I can nick that photie fer me desktop fella?......no comercial use.....tis just it's grand.

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Just this Friday I was in a DD at -2, 3 in the midlands. Not a problem though I have a really cheap Foil ground mat from a local outdoors shop. (it's a "Hi gear" if that make any difference to anyone). It was really cheap and would probably be crappy/uncumfy on the floor but it seems to make a difference when slotted into my DD. I can post pics if anyone is really that intrested but the few quid I spent on it has really been one of those bargins that I now wouldn't go camping without.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
Nice shots Michael, that looks a great spot.

What a view to wake up to too.

When are you going again ???

Rich

Rich,

I tend to head out at short notice on these jaunts, due to family / weather considerations. Occasionally though, I've been known to plan ( ie pray for the previous considerations not to get in the way [ although, see below] ), up to a month in advance.

If you're interested in joining me on one of my trips out ( expect more drinking than Bushcraft though ), PM me your email or text number and I'll let you know when I'm heading out in the future.

You must bear in mind though, that the best planned trip that I've ever organised was taking a friend up an easy, but long, rock climb called Corvus in Borrowdale.
We were about half way up the route when I had a phone call off my wife, telling me that our ( then two years old ) son had been taken into hospital, and could I get home as quickly as possible. I told my mate that we'd have to abseil off the crag, to which he replied "Oh aye, what's abseiling then?". That was the start of one of the longest two hours in my life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE