Sleeping bag - small light and cheap - doesn't need to be warm!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I need a sleeping bag as it's on a stipulated kit list for an upcoming hike.

The best option I've got so far is this:

QUECHUA 15° LIGHT HIKING SLEEPING BAG - 1-2 SEASON, 700g in size L - £30
big_ed8c8033367949b8a141f202d2bc869b.jpg

Is there anything out there smaller for the same or less money?

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Yes, Tesco Argos and Wilko's are all selling off their camping stuff cheap as its end of season - I've seen some nice bags down to a tenner.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Excellent, thanks. I will look out for those.

Thanks to you I had a scour on eBay and ended up finding this:
$_57.JPG

Outdoor sleeping bag Travel camping hiking Multifunction ultra - light Dark Blue -£13 delivered

Features:
Adopts water-resistant, breathable and crease-proof fabric.
With double-sided zipper, convenient to use.
Unfold the sleeping bag, you can use it as a blanket.
Can become double sleeping bag when you connect two sleeping bags together. (only one bag included)
Come in a 4-compression-strap bag, allowing sleeping bag to be compressed to minimum size.
Lightweight, compact and portable.
In simple design style.

Specifications:
Color: Dark blue
Fabric: 320D Nylon
Lining: TC cotton
Add material: Spinning cotton
Size: 1900 * 750mm / 6.23 * 2.46ft
Package Size: 290 * 120mm / 11.4 * 4.7in
Weight: 700g / 1.54lb

It's very light, small and cheap. The quality will probably be terrible but I thought we may get some use out of it afterwards as a picnic blanket perhaps.

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
A sleeping bag will be on the list for a reason.... Make sure its suitable.

If you want a lightweight, cheap and durable bag look at the issuer hot weather bag. Mine is a few years old and doing well.

Tony

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I know its a stupid question, but since its September, and your going on a hike - why doesn't it need to be warm?

This. I drove up to Inverness last Wednesday, at 8am it was only 3 Celsius on the road over the Lecht. That's a couple of hours after sun up and still 6 degrees below the Minimum survival rating of the sleeping bag purchased!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
still 6 degrees below the Minimum survival rating of the sleeping bag purchased!

Temp ratings for sleeping bags are at best an educated guess - it depends on how hot the person sleeps, humidity, how good their groundmat is, etc. Some people might be fine in a 2 Season bag, whilst others need a 4 Season, on the same site at the same time.

The survival temp rating is basically put there by the companies lawyers to say that is the temp that you wont actually (probably) die. Are you going to be miserable at that temp? Almost certainly. Also remember that sunrise in Inverness last week was about 6.40am, so the air had an hour and a half to warm up. We drove back to Inverness in late July, and there was a hell of a lot of fog at 5.30am, with the sun up. Think what it might be like at 3am in a deep valley. I wouldn't have wanted to be in a summer sleeping bag even then, and certainly not now.

There is a whole thread on OM about temp's for sleeping bags for Scottish winter use - http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/sleeping-bag-for-winter-use-in-scotland/28148.html , with loads of good advice, but if I'd be buying a sleeping bag for this time of year in that part of the world, I'd want a comfort temp of minus 6 at the least, and possibly minus 12. As I said though, its all down to the individual circumstances, mat, etc, but a night in a cold sleeping bag is a miserable experience.

A sleeping bag will be on the list for a reason.... Make sure its suitable

I think thats great advice.

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I know you went on to say that, as you can tell, I've read your post. Whereas I explicitly said that the sun had been up for 2 hours and it was still only 3C, it is, I think, clearly implicit in my post that therefore it would have been substantially colder earlier in the night. I'm really not sure why you have decided to argue the toss with someone who was agreeing with your post and who is saying the same thing as you, but , hey, whatever floats your boat, I'm going to leave you up that particular creek by yourself now though. Hope you find the paddle.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
On another note you could spend £40 pounds (plus a bit for delivery) and get a full winter set-up, with the issue 95 bag and thermarest mat. When you see that it makes the £30 two season on in your original post look very expensive for what it is.

Tonysco

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
If you need a sleeping bag, get the best you can afford. Your boots, bed and clothing don't have to be expensive, but they should be quality, and certainly up to the task at hand. Ex issue stuff is quality and cheap, just not light.
Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE