sleeping bag or blanket?

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Just wondering why the sleeping bags are sold for camping and blankets are not, and wonering if any of you have chosen to take blankets instead of bags, I would prefer ablanket with me instead of sleeping bag.
Wonderong if regulating body temperature is easy etc

Thanks
Adam

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Th one thnng im worried about using a blanket for 2500+ mile trek is getting that flu that makes me really cold and shivery, probably called the cold, the thing with the bag is if I need to escape fast, from under attack of youths or some weirdos or troublemakers of somesort... women etc. I can happily sleep in my cloths

Last edited:

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
when it is stupidly cold i take sleeping bag and blankets as extra warmth

When using blankets with sleeping bags, the blankets are best underneath you. A blanket on top of sleeping bag can compress the loft and actually reduce the amount of insulation around you rather than add to it.

Scoops

Th one thnng im worried about using a blanket for 2500+ mile trek is getting that flu that makes me really cold and shivery, probably called the cold, the thing with the bag is if I need to escape fast, from under attack of youths or some weirdos or troublemakers of somesort... women etc. I can happily sleep in my cloths

where on earth are you planning to trek that sort of distance and get in that much trouble?

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
The british coast, probably get decapitated in wheen I get to leeds or something by the cia pretending to be civillians

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Well you get the drift, 80 + days of living in a tent /tarp, theres always issues with people living behind brick.
Im notpareanoid about going without food for15 days, im paranoid about other people causing me greif.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
if your that worried take a sleeping bag and use it as a blanket:rolleyes:

I think this thread is slightly nuts, but yes - the down quilt has been where it's at on the ultralight scene in the US for a while now. Combines insulative power of a sleeping bag with the rapid-escape facility of a blanket. Just Google 'backpacking quilt'.

Forgive me, but I wonder whether a couple of shorter trips to try out sleeping bags and blankets mightn't be a good idea? I've done quite a lot of coast path, and 2500 miles is a fair old whack, especially in 85 days.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
multi, having looked at few of the threads that you have started here I'd suggest that you may want to attend some of the meet ups that folks organise, probably the best way of learning new stuff and getting to grips with what is and isn't sensible and what you can expect once your journey begins. If you do find yourself watching a lot of youtube videos about this kind of thing, you should stop.

:)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have never been to Leeds and nor have people bothered me...I think you have an over active imagination.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE