Sleeping bag opinions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I came across the BigAgnes Yampa, it seems to be light and compact and has an interesting feature that may suit me.

According to the sales pitch you place your mat inside and under the bag, there is no insulation built into the underside of the bag.

I like my bed mat to be part of the bag, I usually put my mat inside the bag because being a restless sleeper I end up on the floor more often than not :eek:

This bag looks like it it has been around for quite some time, indeed it looks like it is old stock being shunted off the mainstream supply line, should that worry me ?

Could I ask you kind people to look at some info, I really would appreciate your opinions, I have included a couple of links below.

I have been offered a 'choose your own present' gift from my family, I have been watching ebay for used down bags without success so far.

I'm not so sure how it rates season wise, I guess it is 3 season at a push in the wonderful and ever changing British weather.

Very much appreciated if you could take a look and give me your thoughts.

Thanks and Regards,
rorymax

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Agnes...tingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item418048bf82

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dsF5PtQ0Hc

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
A few companies have played with a similar idea, thermarest being one of them. The principle is sound.

7c comfort is a late spring / early autumn bag for me as it's very easy to see negative temps in april or september. I subscribe to the "any fool can be cold" method of sleeping and always go on the safe side.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Seems I have underestimated the comfort\seasons rating, it is good to have knowledgeable advice; I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

rorymax

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
I didn't mention I do sleep very cold. How do you sleep that bag may do you for 2/3 seasons with some supplementary cover or clothes.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Just did a very basic search for Dundee (because it isn't the most north, nor is it the most south city) and not knowing where you are... and it looks like only the months of July and August have average lows above 7C

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Dundee-weather-averages/Dundee-City/GB.aspx

Now, adding a bivvy bag, a good meal inside you and maybe a fleece sleeping liner bag might get you a few more months of comfort either side. I also know someone who can be comfortable in much lower temperatures so sleeping bag ratings matter less. I tend to think of comfort is what I expect and minimum temps are what it could sometimes dip to at 3am just before it gets light.

Along a similar line, I have started using my hammock top quilt on my thermarest when i'm on the ground and it's brilliant. In the winter months I have a complete overkill sleeping bag though.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Hi Juv2112,

Yes I sleep cold, If it cools off even a little I wear clothes inside the bag, and socks, and the hat; I have not resorted to the hot water bottle yet but I would if compromised, so hardly a hardy camper :eek:

Thank you,
John

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've been looking at "top bags", i.e. the ones where you put the matt in underneath. Personally, Not a fan yes it's a weight saving, but the reality is you are also sacrificing some versatility. As I'm one who tends to wrap myself in the bag and curl up in a ball, if I did that then I would have the sleep matt in a very weird position.

How do you sleep? on your back? if you do not sleep on your back, and you are getting a mummy shaped top bag, with a hood, then if you roll onto your side, the hood will no longer be in the right place, which in the worst case means breathing into your bag, which means moisture, which is never going to end well.

Just some things for you to think about.

Julia

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
I recently had my first night under a tarp and the other guys were talking in the morning about sleeping ON their bags. I was in my MH Lamina 20, in a bivvy bag, wearing trousers and a t-shirt. But I was as comfortable as them. Wish I slept warm because I could save weight and money. I think you should aim for overkill on a sleeping bag especially if you sleep cold. Check Alpkit out I think they're due a shipment in soon. Good luck with your search.

Scrap Alpkit I just checked and their bags aren't due until late 2014.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Thank you all,

I guess that the Yampa is not to be for me.

The comments made are so helpful, the Yampa is not ideally warm enough on it's own.

Quixoticgeek, I prefer a rectangular bag, I am the most restless of sleepers, from the photographs it does not have particularly mummy shaped profile, but again I was compromising regarding shape and placing my rectangular mat inside the cover.

Squidders, I am tent camping and need to keep the overall pack and weight as low as I reasonably can, the fleece liner is a good option I think.

I shall wait until the right bag comes along, if anyone knows of a rectangular bag with the mat pouch below then I would be glad to hear about it.

I'm very glad that I asked, you have helped me avoid making the wrong purchase.

Thanks to all.

Regards,
rorymax

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I've gone by the idea that if I'm too hot I can always undo the zip and stick a leg out or even just have the bag over me but I really don't like being too cold all night.
Years ago I bought the best full length zip mummy sleeping bag I could afford and that ethic has done me well so far.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I'm quite similar. I do not like being cold, with the mss i can lie on top of both sleeping bags with just the bivvy bag over me or i can get inside the patrol bag whilst lying on the inner bag or if its real cold, just get inside the lot

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I'm quite similar. I do not like being cold, with the mss i can lie on top of both sleeping bags with just the bivvy bag over me or i can get inside the patrol bag whilst lying on the inner bag or if its real cold, just get inside the lot

I'm the same, I like the British army sleep system, it's big, but im not to keen on mummy type bags that feel to restrictive. Like to be able to move about and not feel to tightly stuck in. As with other posts, nice warm sleeping bag and stick leg out if to hot.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE