Sleeping bag advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
At the end of September I am doing a charity survival thing on the Dorset Coast.

We are allowed bivvy bags and (I guess) self built shelters but no tents.

I thought my existing bag would be OK as I have never felt cold in it before (even late September) - apart from the one time I was dumb enough to sleep on an airbed.

However at the Bushcraft Show at the weekend I was cold each night to some degree. A blanket soon remedied that but then slid off in the night. Plus I'm not allowed a blanket on the challenge.

Also I finally admitted to myself how much I hate mummy style bags.

So I need a non-mummy bag, capable of keeping me warm in a bivvy bag in autumn on the coast.

And cheapness would also be a good thing.

What d'you think?

Thanks

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Old issue 90 pattern bag.

Bulky but bombproof, I've never been cold in mine. Only about £20 with postage. Its mummy shaped but a roomy cut.

Tonyuk

marra33

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2016
Cumbria lake district
depends on your definition of bulky, if you dont mind carrying a caravan on your back its okay, ha ha, only joking, but it is a decent size, takes up about 2/3-3/4 of a 50L rucksack, at least thats my definition of size wise

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
As everyone has said, non mummy shaped bags are thin on the ground, unless you want little more than something you'd use for a festival, etc. They are not going to be very warm. There was a thread some years back asking about rectangular bags, and I'm sure some of the US threads might come up with something, but they are going to be pretty pricey.

The Vango description made me laugh:

• Their square shaped carry bag compresses down to a tiny size, easy to pack & store, and easy to carry

It officially measures 45cm x 40cm x 20cm - which is about the same as my daughters 3 season Vango Nitestar. It doesn't really pack down - you just do your best to get it in the stuff sack, and find out that not only is it the size of a breeze block, it compresses down about as well as one.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
As everyone has said, non mummy shaped bags are thin on the ground, unless you want little more than something you'd use for a festival, etc. They are not going to be very warm. There was a thread some years back asking about rectangular bags, and I'm sure some of the US threads might come up with something, but they are going to be pretty pricey.

Sorry, but this just isn't really true. There are plenty of quilt "bags" out there, and depending on the brand, you can have something which takes up more space than a big sleeping bag, or you can have a high quality down filled one which will be useable in winter aslong as you have a good mat underneath ;). (but the good ones are costly, as usual. Bulk, Cost, Quality -> choose 2 ;) )

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Sorry, but this just isn't really true

But you've pretty much agreed with what I said. Cheap quilt bags can be had pretty easily - but they are either basic, or bulky, or both. Expensive ones are hard to find, because most people dont tend to buy them - its a niche market.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I bought a Coleman Big Basin from a GB here. Yes, it's bulky, but it fits well into an Alpkit Hunka XL bivi bag. I'm not a fan of mummy bags, I like room to move, and install Jack Russells.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Yes, I know. Got to be something out there though.

Anyone know anything of these?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-starlight-square-sleeping-bag-p292649#tabs

I have got one of those, great for when I am camping next to the landy but you wouldn't want to carry it far.
It is the size of a double duvet and very bulky.
Lovely and warm though.
It is thicker on the top than the bottom, so in summer I turn it upside down and have the heavily insulated side underneath and the thinner side on top 👍

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Snugpak Navigator is a reasonable envelope bag at a reasonable price, IMHO. If you look around you'll find them cheaper than Snugpak offer them for.

The navigator is only rated for a comfort of about -2c. In snugpak terms that'll be about +3 if your lucky. Good Traveling bag though but i wouldn't use it at the end of September :eek:

Tonyuk

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I, too, hate mummy bags with a passion. In early February this year with a night time temperature of around -5c, I was out in an old canvas WW2 bedroll, old rectangular Army warm weather sleeping bag, wool blanket, Thermarest mat, thermal underwear and under a canvas poncho shelter half thingy, and was toasty warm and slept like a baby throughout. OK, no blanket allowed on this challenge, but with a decent bedroll or bivvy bag, mat, even a lightweight doss bag, and wearing thermals, wooly socks and woolly hat and the ability to a) get out of the way of the wind and b) stuff the space between doss-bag and bedroll/bivvy bag with either cut bracken or newspaper, I reckon you'd be fine. It's not all down to the sleeping bag, is what I'm saying.

At the end of September I am doing a charity survival thing on the Dorset Coast.

We are allowed bivvy bags and (I guess) self built shelters but no tents.

I thought my existing bag would be OK as I have never felt cold in it before (even late September) - apart from the one time I was dumb enough to sleep on an airbed.

However at the Bushcraft Show at the weekend I was cold each night to some degree. A blanket soon remedied that but then slid off in the night. Plus I'm not allowed a blanket on the challenge.

Also I finally admitted to myself how much I hate mummy style bags.

So I need a non-mummy bag, capable of keeping me warm in a bivvy bag in autumn on the coast.

And cheapness would also be a good thing.

What d'you think?

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE