Sleeping bag advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I'm looking for a central zip seeping bag (yes that old chestnut) and I'd like some advice. I'll get straight to the point, I don't want to spend more than £150ish and it needs to be a proper 4 season bag. I have had both the british army Arctic bag and a Woodlore golden eagle in the past so I know their pros and cons. I was looking at the Carinthia defence 4 but the face holes seems tiny to me, not sure I'd get on with that. If anyone has any sugestions (oh other than snugpak) I'd appreciate your input.

Brynglas

I've got a buffalo system which I've had for about twenty five years which still gives great service. I'm not sure how these perform in a hammock but there's no down to compress.
Ive had snugpak bags for years as well and I get on well with them. I bought an elite 4 this year which I'm happy with. All,within your price range.

UKarmr

Feb 22, 2012
N Yorks
Have you tried a Carinthia? The face hole thing isn't as bad as it seems to be honest, although I've never been that cold that I've had it done up all the way

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I haven't tried one, are they good (significantly better than the Arctic bag they replaced)? I haven't totally ruled them out (due to total lack of any other options).

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I'd like a sleeping bag so that I can use it on the ground as well. Can anyone tell me something about the Carinthia 4 sizing? I'm 5.9" but I like a bit of room and always found the medium army Arctic bag a shade too small. The C4 seems to come in two lengths too, are they similar in size to the old Arctic bag?

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
The Defence 4 200 is 230cm long IIRC - it is for 200cm tall users. I am 6'5'' with a 48-50'' chest and the Defence 4 200/Tropen 200 combo is the first bag I have been comfortable in for years! There is also plenty of width so I don't have to sleep like I am in swaddling. I tend to not use the hood on the Defence 4 fastened around the head unless it's really cold, and they are warm bags.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Cheers for the input on the C4, it's looking like a possibility in the complete absence of any other sugestions!

Nagura

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
I know your looking for advice, but Can I ask what you thought of the Woodford golden eagle?

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Sure, well I liked the Golden eagle, and in some ways regret selling it on but there were a few things a didn't like (I'd be interested to know if any of these have been sorted now they have changed manufactures). First, the material was not great and it soon scuffed up where the Velcro touched it making look worn quickly. Secondly, I found that with the internal baffle (unecessary imo) and the way the hood was constructed, if you sinched everything up you had a several pieces of shock cord and numerous toggles in your face. There were other things, like the internal pockets were cheap and small from memory, and the stuff sack was total rubbish. It was very nice and warm though and a decent size too. In the end I just thought the British army Arctic bag was just as warm, bit heavier, but a lot less bother.

UKarmr

Feb 22, 2012
N Yorks
I have the standard length def 4, 180 long. I'm 5'8 and on the chunky side, I have loads of room to spare.
It's lighter, compresses better and is as warm, if not warmer. It 'feels' like it's not as warm initially as the upper part is much lighter so doesn't give you that enclosed feeling.
I've slept in mine in -5 in Wales in a hammock, no problem
There will be one up for sale later once I sort my membership out

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Well I'm glad you said all that because I've just ordered one in that size. Sounds like we are a similar build so I'm hoping ally well. What did you mean by the upper part is much lighter ? (Than the longer version?? Surly not). Anyway, size wise it sounds good and that's my main worry at the mo.

UKarmr

Feb 22, 2012
N Yorks
Yep, as the whole thing is lighter the top doesn't feel like it's pushing down on you, so some think it's not as warm.
(That made sense in my head)

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I have, I even emailed them to see if they would make the 'ultimate Thule' with a central zip. They were about as helpful as a chocolate teapot.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Top quilt/bag, and a good mat. I've been seriously looking at the ones on backpackinglightuk. As heat seems to rise, and insulation compresses it does seem like the way to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE