Overseas Skyline to the Sea!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

I was a bit dismayed to read the recent thread, "Bushcraftuk.com seems less and less populated nowadays." I enjoy reading everyone's posts but don't post myself very often. So I thought I'd share a trip I did this summer.

Skyline to the Sea is one of the most exciting hikes in the Santa Cruz Mountains, in California. The trail stretches 33 miles, descending nearly 3,000 feet from the mountain tops to the Pacific Ocean.

I've wanted to do this hike for years. And I finally spent four days making the journey. Below are pictures from the hike.

I'm at the top of "Goat Rock" about 3,000 feet above sea level. The Pacific Ocean is beyond the last ridge. We need to hike through everything in between.

4-GoatRock.jpg

Here's a quick look at my gear. My goal was to keep my dry pack weight to 20 lbs. Hahahaha....! :)
Actually, I wasn't that far off.

23-Tent.jpg

24-SleepingBag.jpg

We saw plenty of wildlife, including reptiles and amphibians.

32-Snake.jpg

The coast redwoods are spectacular - with plenty of waterfalls!

75-GoldenFalls.jpg

I also got to practice some "traditional skills!" On the second day we processed and cooked California Brome grass seed (Bromus carinatus). I've eaten it before, and it's yummy!

Here's a link to an article that chronicles my entire journey. It has many more pictures and details than I can provide here. It shows how we processed the Brome grass, and has pictures of more wildlife, coast redwoods, and waterfalls. I also describe what it's like to hike solo in old growth forest.

https://www.natureoutside.com/skyline-sea-backpacking-santa-cruz-mountains/

My question for the group: Do you have an "epic hike" you would like to do?

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE