Skye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
off to Skye in september for 2 weeks of climbing/walking

anyone recommend a few trips in skye or things (other than walking and climbing :) ) to do?

me and the missus are going riding aswell (her choice :D )

I love scotland, been climbing here for years, but have never been to skye :) .

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Skye is a lovely island and would recomend it to everyone.
I would suggest purchasing the OS maps for the island as there are few sign posts and can get lost down some of the back lanes quite easily. First off is a pilgrimage to the Talisker brewery, then Trek Direct to stock up on all those bushcraft goodies, there are lots of archaeology and history on the island, some of it is obvious (Brochs, stones, pictish, deserted villages and Dunns) whilst others have to be located via the OS. The wildlife is plenty on the island with nature reserves, beaches and boat trips galore. We split the island into four and moved around over a period of seven days.
The toy mesuem at Glendale is quite fun if you have kids and still a blast down memory lane if you havent.
I am sure you will have a fantastic time as long as the weather holds....

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
The Serpentarium in broadford is worth a visit too.

If you like your food, I guarantee you won't be disappointed by a meal at The Three Chimneys. It is £52 for four courses though...

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
The serpentarium is below the bridge just past the signs directing you. They deal with rescuing reptiles that are seized in customs etc. They have snake holding sessions etc to belay those snake fears.
The three chimmneys is the best on the island and was voted as one of the best in the world, so worth the money....

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
thanks for the info!

we have booked into the three chimneys, they say they have an helicopter pad we can use if we want :D , just got to win the lottery first :(

D

Davros

I have been there a couple of times first climbing and walking mainly around the cuillins, you probably know all about climbs around the cuillins and the ridge walk.

The second time was with my OTC unit building bridges and repairing dykes. It was a good trip I particularly remember burns full of tiny beautifully marked brown trout and fossil belemnites so have a wee peek in some of the streams.

This site describes a walk we did. I do remeber the bad step quite well and also the crystal clear sea water, seals and camping near an inlet and sitting round a big fire we made with damp drift wood.

Have fun

David

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I seem to remember hearing various stories about the Cuillins being slightly magnetic, which can screw up all manner of gadgets and widgets that the average walker carries while up on them - compass, GPS, mobile, watch, you name it!

Can anyone else shed any more light on this? Would be worth knowing...

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
If you get sick of all the tourists on Skye, you could pop over to Raasay for a day or two of solitude. It is a smallish Island off the East cost of Skye. Very quiet compared to skye. One hotel, one guest house, an outdoor centre, one shop and a youth hostel. I spent about 3 months up there one summer, doing field work. Really enjoyed it. Mind you, It was 15 years ago and I was a student so I might be looking back with rose tinted specs. :)
Lots of mushrooms in the forest ...

Dave
ps. seem to remember the BBC using it for some sort of survival challenge show a few years ago

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
I seem to remember that there was a lovely ingraved pictish cross on Rassay as well and various bits of historic interest (I think the military were based there for a spell during the WWII).

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
There is a disused iron mine on the island which used to be worked by German prisoners during the first world war. Some of the houses in the main town were converted from the barracks the prisoners were kept in.

I don't remember the cross but then my attention was taken up by: rocks, beer and avoiding the damned flies (in particular order).

shona

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2004
Scotland
Spent a week there last spring when it rained constantly so couldn't do the planned hillwalking with the kids - instead went to visit Armadale castle (big house really with nice gadens) where we went riding on the beach with heavy horses (fantastic but quite pricey for a family), Duntulm - lovely ruined castle (free) and the beaches at Staffin and Glendale. Managed a bit of walking at Quiraing & Old Man of Storr which is spectacular and you should definitely try to visit the fairy glen near Uig - it is really unusual and feels like you are in another world
Try this link for walks in north: http://website.lineone.net/~trotternish/walking.html

Also there's a great outdoor shop n Dunvegan

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
thanks again,

I'll try not to show the wife the jewellry :)

I will go to uig, I have heard about this place from one of my neices.

just counting down the days!!!!

first proper holiday in three years (too many houses to build!) we don't care if it rains or shines!

I can't wait to brew up on the mountains.......

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Stoddy

If we're talking about things to do near Skye then take an hours drive N to Applecross on the mainland - thats where I live. Have a look here http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/applecross/applecross/

here
http://www.applecross.info/

or here

http://www.applecrossheritage.org.uk/

The drive to get here goes over the Bealach na ba or the pass of the cattle - from sea level to 2000ft in four miles - you won't forget the drive. Don't camp at the camp site - just pitch your tent at the head of Applecross bay and check out the views to Rassay and beyond to the Cuillin of Skye. Have a meal in the Applecross in - best seafood pub in britain award, or dinner in the walled garden whose chef holds a michelin star.

You won't see many people on the hills, but you will see some of the most spectacular scenery around. A week or two ago I spent an hour watching a young sea eagle scanning back and forward around the coast, there are red deer in the garden and otters at the bay.

Do it as a day trip or spend the night.

If you want any more info just ask.

George

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
stoddy said:
can't wait...

shame I am going for two weeks :(

do they need any builders up in skye?

Certainly do if you can work cheaper than the local guys, turn up on time, sober and do the work you say you'll do, stick to the price you agreed and don't come up with a million reasons why it's going to cost much much more than you thought originally!

George

Can you tell I have problems finding a good builder?

stoddy

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2005
dorset
george said:
Certainly do if you can work cheaper than the local guys, turn up on time, sober and do the work you say you'll do, stick to the price you agreed and don't come up with a million reasons why it's going to cost much much more than you thought originally!

George

Can you tell I have problems finding a good builder?

sounds like builders on the programme "Rogue Traders"

people like that give the rest of us a bad name.

don't ask me to do any quotes on holiday, the missus would have my guts forr garters! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE