Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Being young dumb and full of....

I just bought a plane ticket and went. One time was a three month walkabout

Ballsy. Have you posted about that experience here? If so I've missed it. I'm sure others would be interested.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Here are a couple of pictures of the Skrama collection.

From top to bottom they are:
Skrama 240
Skrama 200
Pukko 140
Pukko 110
Mini Skrama

The bottom images to show the thickness and the fact the mini and 200 have spines which have been sharpened and will scrape wood or a ferro rod. I have compared them with the Garberg and Kansbol.
IMAG0044.jpgIMAG0045.jpg
IMAG0053.jpgIMAG0056.jpg

Reactions: Mowmow and TeeDee

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
From what I can see the 240 and 200 have practically the same blade. Its only the handle size that offers an advantage of sorts. Do you think if you fitted a chunky lanyard to the 200 you could hold this and it give you the same amount of force generating potential as the 1 & 1/2 handle size of the 240?

From the above pictures the blades are similar in the length the 200 is lighter blade and with the slightly shorter handle it is close to the 240 but slightly different, just by adding a lanyard I would say no as the blade is lighter and the weight and length of the 240 can not be matched especially with the mass behind it. It would be close but just not quite there.

But it could chop well by itself and you can comfortably grip the end to get the extra length to chop well just like on the bigger brother.

If you want the better chopper go for the bigger knife, but the 200 does do a good job and will chop.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
From the above pictures the blades are similar in the length the 200 is lighter blade and with the slightly shorter handle it is close to the 240 but slightly different, just by adding a lanyard I would say no as the blade is lighter and the weight and length of the 240 can not be matched especially with the mass behind it. It would be close but just not quite there.

But it could chop well by itself and you can comfortably grip the end to get the extra length to chop well just like on the bigger brother.

If you want the better chopper go for the bigger knife, but the 200 does do a good job and will chop.

Am I the only one who got their 240 with a sharpened spine?
I've got the 140 too and the spines are the same

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My 240 was bought several years ago. At that time they did not do the sharpened spine.
Same here.

My jaakaripuuko has the "sharpened" spine. Although it's not really sharpened, just just slightly beveled, while it does work for scraping fatwood up or using the ferro rod, it's a lot of work, It'd be a million times better if it had a sharp 90° edge on part of it. Felt a bit conned about that bit... Although i imagine its a much nicer surface to work off, thumb on the spine, or palm pushing the spine when splitting small kindling, no chances of cuts from burrs or pointy angles digging in.
It does also work quite well for scraping up flesh off animal skins though without digging in too deep and ruining the skin.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They say the spine is ground the way it is to expose the harder inner steel.
I found just by changing the angle of the knife slightly it throws sparks as well as any other knife

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
The grinding of the spines is a newer thing to satisfy the American market, the original 240 didn't and mine was bought in their first year of production. I had be batted around a lot and done a lot of bashing and chopping in it's time.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
They say the spine is ground the way it is to expose the harder inner steel.
I found just by changing the angle of the knife slightly it throws sparks as well as any other knife
I know why they did it and it does work, the bevelled edge just means theres not as much of a edge to dig in.
Its much harder work to scrape up shavings n the like with, just takes a bit more effort. It does throw sparks nicely and you can easily scrape up shavings to ignite with them, it'd just be more efficient if it was a good 90° itd be a harder, sharper edge.
But like i said, its not necessarily a bad thing that it is slightly rounded off n you can always use the blade too to make life easier. The blades are a doddle to touch up and get sharp again anyway.
I was just hoping to have a better working edge (spine), that could save the blade some unnecessary rough work.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I know why they did it and it does work, the bevelled edge just means theres not as much of a edge to dig in.
Its much harder work to scrape up shavings n the like with, just takes a bit more effort. It does throw sparks nicely and you can easily scrape up shavings to ignite with them, it'd just be more efficient if it was a good 90° itd be a harder, sharper edge.
But like i said, its not necessarily a bad thing that it is slightly rounded off n you can always use the blade too to make life easier. The blades are a doddle to touch up and get sharp again anyway.
I was just hoping to have a better working edge (spine), that could save the blade some unnecessary rough work.

In fairness I haven't tried scraping wood with either of mine and yeah I can imagine bevel does make a difference there

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
When they started making the first Skramas the use of fire steel was not a big thing at least here in Finland. It has grown a lot over the last years.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone carry anything attached ( via the pommel handle hole ) on their Skrama as an ongoing thing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE