Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'd go for the longer one as it's mainly designed as a chopper.
But it's really well balanced for choking up on the handle for finer work.

I can't speak for blade balance or chopping capability on the 200. But to me it seems like a compromise on a tool that's already a compromise between a heavy duty chopper and a smaller general purpose bushcraft knife.

Though i'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised with whatever blade you decide to choose.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone had experiences with the blade buckling?

There seems to be quite a few vids featuring blade warping but I'm taking this with a pinch of salt as I know there is a sub-cult of people seemingly trying to destroy tools using bad practice.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Anyone had experiences with the blade buckling?

There seems to be quite a few vids featuring blade warping but I'm taking this with a pinch of salt as I know there is a sub-cult of people seemingly trying to destroy tools using bad practice.
I know there was a lot of people unhappy about receiving blades with a slightly uneven grind on a lot of the early runs of the jaakaripuuko.
They are or were good value lower budget blades (they have or are supposed to be increasing the prices) so they are a bit rough around the edges but you get a lot of bang for your buck as they say.
I think in most cases its nothing a minute on a stone wouldn't fix.

Mine were fine and came razor sharp out of the box, the skrama especially required very careful handling, being big, heavy and sharp.
The blades in a right state now though, it got mistreated processing wood on an old railway sleeper that had hidden bits of metal in it. Not got round to working the edge yet.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Perhaps people have too high demands of the skrama. It´s not a high cost high end deluxe knife. After all, considering the cost of making stuff in Finland to the price of little over 60 euros there can not be many euros profit for the maker/knife. Varusteleka too has get their share of the sales profit.
So for a relativly low price we get a crude but good quality tool.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Yes, one better not try to catch it if you drop it. That might result in peeling off half a finger or worse.
Yes an old pair of jeans got the sharp end from some careless handling on my part, the day I got it.
I accidentally brushed past where they were hung up as i left the room, i didn't notice until they ended up coming along with me. 4 layers of denim 4 holes.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Perhaps people have too high demands of the skrama. It´s not a high cost high end deluxe knife. After all, considering the cost of making stuff in Finland to the price of little over 60 euros there can not be many euros profit for the maker/knife. Varusteleka too has get their share of the sales profit.
So for a relativly low price we get a crude but good quality tool.

I think "crude" is a bit harsh and very subjective.
The skrama is utilitarian sure but perfectly well made.

Teedee you won't warp the blade without specifically trying to make it happen.
A quick Google didn't throw up any results for warped skramas. If it comes warped they will exchange it I'm sure

Reactions: Paulm

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I think "crude" is a bit harsh and very subjective.
The skrama is utilitarian sure but perfectly well made.

Teedee you won't warp the blade without specifically trying to make it happen.
A quick Google didn't throw up any results for warped skramas. If it comes warped they will exchange it I'm sure

I've pulled the trigger on one now so just need to wait a while.

( Thumbs Twiddling )

Reactions: Mowmow

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Blame the Yankees again. Last I heard Laurin Metalli just could not produce enough for that market. Both on Skrama and Jääkäripuukko. The designs are all Leka, LM is the producer as they are the producer of blades for quite a few small puukko makers.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Was it the 240?

If you want a big chopping knife I can't see how anyone could be disappointed.
They are just cool lol

Fairly quick delivery as I recall too

Yes , the 240 , I am swayed by the 200 but as other have pointed out it maybe a compromise.
I'm a biggish unit so its only the day to day carrying of it that I need to work out a way of doing. Not a fan of Belt or drop dangler , so I've always carried under the arm baldrick style.

Need to bling the sheath also.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
There is a saying in Boxing ," You are only as good as your last Win ! " , So I will find out. :)
No disrespect intended dude. I was wondering about these reviewers who have had problems with the knife. I reckon you'll be very pleased with yours when you get it. I've not had one but have had a jakaripuukko and it was awesome!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Anything can be broken. With any tool it is always a compromise with something.

There is a saying that half a meter piece of railroad track is a kind of optimum to give to a fresh conscript. If it is shorter he loses it, if it is longer he finds a way to bend it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No disrespect intended dude. I was wondering about these reviewers who have had problems with the knife. I reckon you'll be very pleased with yours when you get it. I've not had one but have had a jakaripuukko and it was awesome!

No disrespect assumed Sir !! Nuances of text based conversation. I'm sure the Skrama will be 'very me'

Reactions: Sieddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anything can be broken. With any tool it is always a compromise with something.

There is a saying that half a meter piece of railroad track is a kind of optimum to give to a fresh conscript. If it is shorter he loses it, if it is longer he finds a way to bend it.

Sounds like a sickener for not doing what the DS instructed , In the time the DS instructed you to do it in. :)

Reactions: Sieddy

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have quite a few of the Varusteleka knives, the Pukko 110 and 140, the large and mini Skarma and now a 200 on the way too. I have been very happy with mine it has handled ever job I I have put them through and for the cost value they are very hard to beat.

I have held off getting a mora Garberg cos the 110 and 140 which are a lot cheaper have out performed themselves (I have got a deal on a Garberg for a reasonable price and I am going to do some testing of the two). They are all very useful and utilitarian blades with no fuss and great value. They are the main blades I tend to take away with me when I go abroad as they are great users and perform in any conditions including sub-zero Scandinavia my back up tend to be a mora (either a classic, kansbol, eldris or clipper) depending on the trip when I want to keep my more expensive knives back home.

I have been thinking of doing a slight mod to the large skrama sheath for a baldric carry which is very similar to this picture, and a link on the site on how to make it.

https://www.survivalresources.com/baldric-rig-adapter-for-knife-sheaths.html

Attachments

• FrontAndSideView.Original2.jpg
    FrontAndSideView.Original2.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Broch and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have quite a few of the Varusteleka knives, the Pukko 110 and 140, the large and mini Skarma and now a 200 on the way too. I have been very happy with mine it has handled ever job I I have put them through and for the cost value they are very hard to beat.

I have held off getting a mora Garberg cos the 110 and 140 which are a lot cheaper have out performed themselves (I have got a deal on a Garberg for a reasonable price and I am going to do some testing of the two). They are all very useful and utilitarian blades with no fuss and great value. They are the main blades I tend to take away with me when I go abroad as they are great users and perform in any conditions including sub-zero Scandinavia my back up tend to be a mora (either a classic, kansbol, eldris or clipper) depending on the trip when I want to keep my more expensive knives back home.

I have been thinking of doing a slight mod to the large skrama sheath for a baldric carry which is very similar to this picture, and a link on the site on how to make it.

https://www.survivalresources.com/baldric-rig-adapter-for-knife-sheaths.html

Thank you for posting , I'll definitely be following your instructional

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE