Skookum Bush Tool vs RJ EVANS Bush Tool

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice review!

I really like both, but if I had to chose Id go to RobEvs. Both solid tools and great designs :).

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
Funny advert :) but does it not make one sought after and the other just a copy :-( that nobody is wanting or there would be a waiting list ????

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Rod got swamped years ago with orders after Mors Kochanski gave the knife some name and fame, which is why he has a long waitinglist nowadays. I'm sure RJ Evans has a lot of orders too, but he still manages to keep up with them. Maybe this review might change things, get a RJ Evans Bushtool now you still can?! :D

and I made clear that the RJ Evans Bushtool must actually be seen as a Tool on its own, it is quite different from the Skookum.

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Thanks for the review Rudd!
Can I add that my bushtools start at £170 (all in) and I will make various styles of sheath in leather or kydex.
I now can offer the blades in 3.5mm thick 52100 bearing steel.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've had quite a bit of time with both. I like Robs as it seems more ergonomic and fills the hand so much better. It's not a copy, but a variation on a theme.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
I've added your remarks about the sheaths and steels Rob! Price in GBP is also mentioned.

The palm swell on the RJ Evans is indeed very nice, I only sanded the handle a bit for more grip in wet conditions (read: sweaty palms :p )

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
I have experience with both. Skookum got direct for regular price $265 shipped with sheath or $245 shipped without sheath. I really like RJ and found handle more comfortable then original from Garcia (after small tuning is perfect). But i sold RJ and keep Skookum, why? CPM-3V, and this make my choice.
If Rob start make from 3V or RWL it will outperform Skookum, I just don't like O-1.
Skookum markt price just stupid expensive, regular "worth every penny".
About quality, i found both is great.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Robs knife will also survive 18 months on the floor in a wet Welsh woodland, no need to ask how I know that...

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
That's remarkable! Can't believe how well it's come up. That knife comes with a great tale now I'll bet you'll treasure that knife forever. Would love one of robs knives, top notch....just got to save up the pennies! Cheers Joab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... If there are any words I used in the wrong way (grammaticaly or vocabulary) in the article, please tell me ....

First of all your English is a lot better than my Dutch!

Here are some spelling and grammatical corrections.

enthousiast -> enthusiast
Bushstool -> Bushtool (!)
Bustool -> Bushtool (!!)
different colours -> various colours
Buttplate -> Butt plate
strenght -> strength
lanyardholes -> lanyard holes (four places)
waitinglist -> waiting list (two places)
waitlist -> waiting list
overly -> overtly?
helped with -> helped by
info -> information

Incidentally you don't mention the thickness of the blade on the Skookum Bush Tool, and you are not clear about the thickness of the O1 material in the RJ Evans Bushtool.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
Hi Ged, thanks for taking the time to post the corrections! Very nice of you

I didn't mention the steel thicknesses because they vary for all steels. I wanted to give amore broad comparison between both, because I believe that people who find my article through Google by typing in terms like "Skookum", "Bushtool", etcetera already know what I'm writing about. Hope this makes sense to you :)

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
Perhaps my comment earlier in this thread is out of order because your English is so much better than My dutch, I did not realize you were writing in our language and not your own... :)

Darkwoodecho

Forager
Apr 11, 2012
United Kingdom
thanks for posting Excellent read, both your review and the "rescue" post, gives me confidence as I've got one on order from Rob, and I can vouch for his excellent comms, top fella.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE