Skin allergy, Buffalo pile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
Hopefully in the right place!

I’ve been using buffalo pertex and pile for around 25 years but in the last couple of years have developed psoriasis so I get rashes etc real easily. Have tried various washing powders/ tech wash etc but try as I might the pile now gives me awful ‘heat’ rashes inside my elbows. I tend not to wear long sleeves for same reason, I tried this under my buffalo but it’s become very uncomfortable.

I’m thinking my only choice is to ditch the pile and go with a more traditional outer garment that has a ‘smoother’ liner in which case I need suggestions!

Insulated, long length ( parka type) I have an old waterproof shell but I’d like something that could replace it maybe on the lines of a north face mcmurdo parka
I’ve not got many layers as I’ve not needed them - I have too much buffalo lol . Is there such a thing as a ‘technical’ all in one like a parka? ( usually lighter and better quality fabrics)

I’m in Ireland so not many shops to try on, it rains all the time and is starting to get colder so down is out
Cheers
Andy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Carhartt Arctic Duck model has a quilted lining that's comfortable to -15C or so.
I melt in that coat at 0C. You need a wind blocker and a blanket liner.

I'd be shopping for a really waterproof shell 4X large to go over everything.
For that, I'd be down on the waterfront at the local Chandler.

Where you live, I'd bring a Carhartt Canyon model coat. Wear a nice wool sweater under that.

I know this makes me look very brand loyal but it seems that you get what you pay for and the Carhartts are not so bad.
The game here is not to get any blood on my coat during hunting season!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you tried just wearing a silk under shirt....a long sleeved t-shirt type....beneath the buffalo kit ?

I break out in rashes from stuff, from insect bites to bleach, from fish to some vitamins. Nothing as severe as psoriasis, but down right miserably uncomfortable. I just have to watch what I wear/touch/eat. The silk isn't cheap, but it's very comfortable, wears well, and it does stop chaffing for me. Lot simpler than buying entire new kit, and if it doesn't work, but doesn't irritate your skin then you've still got decent thermals :D

https://www.patra.com/category/Mens-Pure-Silk-Thermals

The socks I find were long enough in the foot, but kind of short in the leg. They've lasted ten years of Winter use as liner socks under heavier ones in my boots.
Everything else was sound.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know a few of the menfolks swear by genuine merino undertops. They don't itch, they breath, they don't stay sweaty and they thermoregulate both hot and cold weather.
One of my friends suffers horrendous psoriasis...his form of arthritis creates this condition, particularly around his elbows and wrists....and I know he's been wearing the merino stuff. Gets messy with the skin stuff but still comfortable he says.
Sorry you're having to thole this, bigboned. It's not an easy thing to manage. I hope it settles pdq and gives you relief.

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Excellent suggestion. I wear silk underwear and socks when out and about. Balaclava in winter.

I have done so for over 35 years. No blisters, no chafing.
Handwash the items with a very mild hand soap, air dry and they last forwever.

I do not have any skin conditions, but silk is much nicer to the skin than other materials.

Pleae do not fall into the BS trap, that is called Bamboo silk.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know it's not silk, neither is the soya 'silk', but they do make really lovely fabrics.
Many years ago now I bought soya silk fibres for spinning, and it's really nice stuff, and spins up beautifully. It feels like silk when spinning, weaving and knitting it too.

There are two types of bamboo fibre though. Either the most commonly available, which is really just rayon from processed cellulose from the bamboo, or, much more expensively, mechanically stripped and then retted and combed bamboo fibres....which are beautifully soft and white. The first kind comes in long lengths from the spinnerets, while the latter is taken from between the nodes and is usually less than a foot long.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just processed cellulose....the processing is seriously harmful to the factory workers though. It's still a much more environmentally friendly fibre than cotton, which is not only a thirsty crop but a high chemical use crop.

Either way, to the OP's question, the bamboo 'ought' to be pretty neutral on the skin, if not as nice as silk :)

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
My real sticking point I think will be when I just throw on my belay jacket as I’ve probably only got a T-shirt underneath- I can plan the silk into other activities I may dress for but as a casual thing..... I suppose that’s what get for using the buff for casual!!.

I’ve actually had the psoriasis for 30+ years that I know of but when I got diagnosed diabetic the stress just flared it up. Antihistamine seems to ease the problem I’m talking of but it’s not a solution
Appreciate your time tho all

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Interested to read all the comments here, i have eczema that flares worst on my neck and eyelids but also in elbow pits, shoulder and one hand... wearing basically anything that touches my neck in the winter (ie. that gets a bit sweaty) even a collared cotton shirt makes it irritated and flare... scarves are out and i try to leave collars as open as possible... one thing that i am sure works is to be fit enough that walking up hill/exertion does not make you break out into a clammy sweat, which = irritation... not exactly an easy fix but when i go out for a walk but stay nice and cool and dry under my layers because im not breaking out into a sweat, i feel the irritation is not near.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just out of curiosity, have you been for a full allergic reaction test. They mark out areas on your back and apply potential allergens in the numbered boxes. Depending on the reaction they find out what could be a problem for you. A very common set of chemicals that often starts to cause a problem later on in your life (often about retirement i think) is the chemicals related to black dyes and colourings. These chemicals also appear in things that aren't black. Also, a naturally derived chemical that forms part of perfume and scents used in various stuff people use on themselves and clothing. It's actually very hard to avoid some of the common chemicals that cause allergic reactions.

If you can get a test it might help if you're getting issues because of a favoured colour. If black or green is your colour of choice for buffalo then perhaps it could be related to that. If so then switching to blue or getting one of the newer deep red jackets like the alpine jacket help.

Just an idea and might not be relevant but it's worth checking out different avenues. Treating the symptoms with silk underlayers might work but treating the cause of the issue might be a better option if available to you

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
I borrowed a snugpak and had the same and it turns out the same with a micro fleece I have but only when I’m too warm, I’ve been trying to find a skin test place but I have tried various detergents etc inc no detergent and hand wash to try rid any chemicals- it seems to be just linked to my psoriasis rather than necessarily a pure reaction, as I’ve flare ups in other areas. Stress related me thinks- while I procure some silk etc I’m just having to be naked... ah well FML
Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and taking the time to comment

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It might not be anything you put on it or apply to it during washing. You might just have reached your limit of a chemical that is in the product. That chemical could be in many other outdoors fabrics and materials.

We're a chemical world. No way to avoid it. A properly carried out allergy test for the most common allergens in the modern world. Get your gp to refer you to a centre capable of carrying out such a test under the NHS (assuming you're from Britain). They'll assess what is most likely to be causing any potential allergic response. Then they'll test for a range of the most common chemicals and allergens appropriate to your history.

I know someone who never had any allergy issues for most of their life. Then about 60 years they started getting hay-fever. Several years later they got bad for hay-fever. Then years after that the rashes and dry skin (psoriasis possibly I don't know the details). Tests with a dermatologist indicated allergy. That led to the tests and a couple of pages of what to avoid following the results of the tests. Not a comprehensive list of allergens but the ones that caused the biggest response out of what was tested.

Actually very hard to avoid what they needed to. Anything with parfum in the ingredients was out. Very hard to find soaps and shampoo without it. Even if not listed the chemical groups behind it will probably be listed instead. Chemicals for one use might have several unrelated uses which means a whole new set of products to be avoided.

I guess my point is that I doubt anyone will be quite aware of what could be causing issues. Indeed you might not even realise there is an issue because the symptoms don't make you think allergic response.

You might have to fight for a test under the NHS though. The GatekeePer might be difficult

Ed the Ted

Forager
Dec 13, 2013
Scotland
Talking of being naked, my eczema which can rage in damp west wales esp. in the winter absolutely disappears in the summer when I spend time in a warm place by the sea (5 weeks in Croatia on the dalmatian coast this summer, totally eczema and itch free from about the third day, all skin healed within about a week... sun, very salty sea, and no wall to wall carpets so easily cleaned flats with tile floors...) Obviously not possible for everyone but down there the doctors will literally prescribe people to go and spend time by and swimming in the sea for things like eczema. My latest realisation is that my eczema flares the day after a night on the juice, even just a solitary pint... So thats out for now (at least till i'm back in Croatia :) :)

bigboned

Forager
Feb 17, 2016
Ireland
I use a ph neutral gel marketed for babies skin or a neutragena type product. I supplement these with a prescription topical cream. For deo I use a stick that causes no reactions ( I have a couple of faves that I rotate) mild scented.
I don’t use ‘heavy’ soaps n scents and my lungs don’t like sprays- because I use quite ‘light’ products I probably over clean myself.

I’m doing a bit of experimenting and found cotton long sleeve tops/ shirts are not causing me a prob even when sweating. Just procured some silk garments on the way to me.

I have a goretex unlined shell again no problems with even when I heat up and sweat more than the shell can keep up with so at the moment it seems pile and fleece are my problems

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Both me and son have sensitive skin. Used to get exemas and rashes a lot, in skin to skin areas, behind ears, scalp.
I only use a soap intended for ladies genital area ( pH acidic) in my male genital area and in armpits.
Son the same.
Son - no shampoo ever. Myself a baby shampoo once every two weeks.

Inbetween I use salt water on my hair.

I used to use ‘products’ all over my body, twice a day, thinking I needed to have a really good body hygiene not to get mote problems.
Once I realized that maybe the products caused the problem and stopped, problrms almost disappeared.

I only use natural fibers against my skin. After I buy something, wife washes them a couple of times before I use them.
Works.

Also, we run en extended rince cycle, we buy only washing machines ( and dishwashers) with programmable cycles.
I hate sleeping in hotels, the sheets give me problems if I sleep in a hotel more than one night.

Let us know how you get on with the silk!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE