Sizes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
What size of main and what size of secondary knifes do you carry when you go on a trip?

Lets get some opinions on suitable and unsuitable sizes going here! :p

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
my main knife is my w/s micarta(4"). my backup is my eka swede 60(3").
if i think i'll need it i sometimes have my cold steel LTC kukri(12") too.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dorian Gra said:

Oh, do we have to?

I mean, this is something that has been discussed ad nauseam one way and another in loads of other threads. Just check out the pictures of what other people carry, what they say about the Tom Brown Tracker knife, what knives they recommend to beginners and why, and what knives people post excitedly about recieving. :D

Typically for bushcraft in this country, 3-5 inch blade, anything between 2.5 and 5mm thick, plenty of point, not too much belly, small secondary bevel, single bevel, or thin convex. :rolleyes: or something about like that. Note there will be exceptions :p

Dorian Gra

May 19, 2005
Isle of Islay
C_Claycomb said:
I mean, this is something that has been discussed ad nauseam one way and another in loads of other threads.

oh sorry m8 i'm new to these forums so haven't seen many threads. But I have been doing bushcraft for some time and was just wondering what size of knife you carry as my m8 and I were having a discussion about what size should be carried. :D

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
most people agree with ray on somewhere between 8 and 12 cm. Some think the woodlore is a tad long, others think much less and you loose out. Most people get around it by having lots of knives

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
"When does a knife become a sword? =) "

Oh this one is easy; it becomes a sword when a knight in shinning armour comes around looking for my girlfriend :p

My main length is 4" (mainly a Mora but sometimes others). Guess I could say back up blade length of 2"-3" (mainly Swiss Army or Multi-pliers)

I saw and want a 6" Mora as a main battoning knife. Keeping the other Mora for finer work; especialy if I buy that laminated steel Mora from Lee Valley (it is .25-.50" smaller than 4").

Oddly I have a 4.5" Mora (red handle, metal guard, stainless blade) with the name E.JONSSON but I can't find any info about it.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Dorian Gra said:
What size of main and what size of secondary knifes do you carry when you go on a trip?

Before they were half-inched, I used a Helle Fjellmann (9cm blade), backed up by a Hell Jegermester (13.5cm blade).

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
No more than 4" for the main blade (axe,or panga type thing after that).

But then it's personal preferance init :rolleyes:

Back up as well--no point in having a back up which won't do the same job as main kit :p

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Several mean looking rambo type knives that have as many jagged bits as possible... you never know when you might bump into someone walking their dog ;)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if i need of indulge my sword fetish, i have my forged carbon steel katana. no good for bushcraft but it's a thing of beauty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE