Sizeisum in clothing used for outdoors / Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Now I am carrying more padding than I like and its an on going battle reduce it. AT this time I need 54" in chest in jackets the just seem to be a distinct lack of decent out door type of coats in this sort of size . I am thinking of getting another jacket this time in ventile. I emailed one company and got back the usual we dont do any thing that size. I still have to contact the others specializing in this material and I hope ill be successful. As for shopping in the usual outdoor stores forget it ,may be its not the image the outdoor clothing companies want, but in the mean time the larger size people are getting wet. I was wondering I any one else has come up against this ?

nunzionuk

Come up against this all the time. Being on the boarder of 2xl/3xl isnt really handy, as most companies do 2xl, but its very tight. Am still to find a good company that does clothing our size.

If you find somewhere that does larger sizes let me know please

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey have you tried Snowsled?
I have a their Classic Smock in XXL and its mahoooooosive even on a big chap like myself, their Sizing guide lists it as 52'' chest but its designed for multiple under layers. Plus I think they can do bespoke stuff on request...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
With you all the way, not that I'd be able to afford any of it if it was more commonplace!

My only advice is to make your own and be proud to wear it!

Ogri the trog

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
It was snowsled I asked if they could make me a 54" of there wilderness jacket and no joy ! I was hopeful once again its being able to try the stuff on

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I am sure there would be a market for this type of outdoor bushcraft clothing in larger sizes, may be they think people of a bigger build are not active. I have found size charts to be a bit of a black art one mans large is another XL and there is call fore jacket size as well as chest size. I think this has become more important now so much business is done over the internet.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
It was snowsled I asked if they could make me a 54" of there wilderness jacket and no joy ! I was hopeful once again its being able to try the stuff on
I'm supprised at that! I was under the impression they did custom stuff...
Anyway I measured my chest (sorry jacket is packed for moving house so cant measure that) and Im about 50'' and this jacket is at least a size bigger than I need even with a thick wool jumper on. Might fit you just right....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not offering, my order book is still over a year's work, but there are very good makers on here who would make you a garment to your specs and comfort.

You could ask ?

best of luck with it :)

M

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Lots of is due to fashion. IMO. "Outdoor"-clothing has to look good in a mirror and what does a designer know about the requirements of practical clothing? More to the point, try telling that the cut of a jacket changes over the decades while the environment doesnt and most will look at you blank.
GTX of 2011, size XL, worn over a shirt :
PA070659_cr.jpg

Xl in the year 2005, one size bigger and longer, too. Worn over fleece:
PA070656_cr.jpg

The GTX, size L, from about 1985:
260408008.jpg

260408010.jpg

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Following on from my earlier comments I have found an ventile jacket in xxxl 54"-56" chest Keela's Falkland Jacket this is the same jacket as reviewed here by stretch3144 Keela Falkland Country Jacket - Single Layer Ventile (lots of pics!). The Jacket arrived today and fits ok even over a thick jumper. I like the design, pocket lay out and feel to the material which reminds me of an old Kammo SUPER-KODIAK I had back in the early 80's. Just looking forward to using it now I still have my now snug fitting (working on that) Swazi Tahr for extrem weather ( like the other friday on the dunes at formby digging in christmas trees boy did it rain ).[h=3][/h][h=3][/h]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE