Sink Drainer Wood Stove Heads Up

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
was in wooloworths yesterday and they have the stainless steel sink drainers that have been used on here as a stove (the ikea ones) and better yet they are in a crazy half price sale at £2!!! so i bought 4 and gained many a strange look from the till staff ha ha ha ha!!

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
I picked one up today to play with - I assume I'm just lighting a fire in it and sticking a pan on top as as when it's ready? (i.e. bit like a brazier?)

Cheers,
Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just bought another 2!
My original attempt had rectangular openings cut out of the area near the top, holes drilled for tent peg pot supports, extra air holes in the base and 4 legs from bolts added
Sep02922.jpg

Mk 2 may have a big "feeder" hole in one side and a tripod set of legs for rough ground stability.
The photo shows the mk1 with the tent peg pot stands missing and usinf flat bar instead!

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I was in the kitchen utensils department of Ikea recently with my Dad when one of those caught my eye. I pointed at all the coffee tins and assorted pots and said:
''You know what Dad, I really shouldn't come in here - every where I look I see billy cans and hobo stoves...''.

He gave me one of 'those' looks :rolleyes: :lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The bilie in the photo is a coffee can from a charity shop, with a hazel lid button and a knitting needle bail...

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
What did you use to cut out the holes? A dremel-type thing, or something more substantial? (I'm not what you'd call a natural at DIY stuff ;))

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
The bilie in the photo is a coffee can from a charity shop, with a hazel lid button and a knitting needle bail...

Exactly what I use for my billies :D A stainless biscuit tin for a large billy and a coffee can for a small billy, both with coathanger hoops and little wooden drawer handles screwed onto the lids. Cost about £6 altogether.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
£6!!!!!!!!!!!!
My billie cost 50p!

I used a bench grinder to make the big holes but a mate of mine used simple tin snips.
A dremmle should work OK

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I just bought one of the Ikea ones yesteeyda, and also got a smaller cooking pot for it.

Why is it a good thing that these are stainless? Easier to clean?

My Ikea cutlery drainer is not magnetic, although from reading on here and the Ikea description, it is Stainless Steel. However, the smaller pot I got to fit in it IS magnetic. I'm confused... :eek:

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
My complete set is very similar to John's

hobo_sm.jpg

Woolies drainer, cut down tent pegs hold the smaller billy and the whole thing packs up together. The billy is a Wilkinsons SS tea can. The lid fits so well it has to have a hole drilled in it to prevent it blowing off when it comes to the boil.

The whole lot is sitting on a Ikea steamer to protect the lawn as I was testing it at home. The steamer has been mentioned elsewhere here as it can be used on it's own as a fire basket for a larger fire.

I now have a larger can which is the Wilko's SS biscuit can. The woodburner actually fits inside this so the whole lot still packs sits concentrically. Fire steel and tinder inside.
Cheers,
Steve

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
My Ikea drainer has discoloured a lot after one use. Has anyone elses? The can I'm using as a billy can has not.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Yes that's normal, its effectively been 'heat treated by the fire', but unless you're going to want to use it as a tool then you needn't worry about hardening / tempering - all it needs to do is contain your fire.

That's good. So why didn't the other can I used go the same?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Some stainless is magnetic, like the blades of a stainless steel knife, some is non-magnetic, like most of the stuff used in food processing machinery and a lot of cookware. It doesn't signify anything as far as pots and drainers go. The difference is that some is austenitic (non-magnetic) and some is martensitic (magnetic).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE